SR-20

Hi All,

I’m building an aircraft comparison worksheet so that my better-half feels a little more comfortable about an airplane decision. Would like to get some performance numbers from SR-20 users. Specifically, I’d like empty weights & CG, and typical cruise speed and fuel burns.

Thanks…

Rick.

Rick,

You can go to the Cirrus Design web site and see the POH along with many other documents. Most of the information you are asking for is here.

Rick,
Ignore that man behind the curtain (Art Pileggi)!!

The fact is that, in general, the older SR20s out there seem to run short of the book numbers on many planes to varying degrees, but some match the numbers. I understand the version 2.0 model is fairly close to the book, but still a bit short. On the other hand, many of the SR22s seem to beat the numbers a few knots and I haven’t heard of any planes that fell significantly short of the published numbers.

I am sure some -20 owneres will weigh in with some real world performance data. Also, if you are seriously considering a Cirrus, you can’t go wrong with spending the fifty bucks to join COPA. The amount of discussion on the members side is about four times the amount on the public side. Heck, it’s probably more than four times.

I have had my plane for just over 2 months. No problems so far. I usually run LOP 10.0 GPH at 6-8000’ and get 148 -151 TAS. When leaned for best power I get 155-160. Basic empty weight = 2140 (2 blade prop, no skywatch, all other options)

2000 model SR20, empty weight 2100lbs with 3 blade prop, leather, stormscope, ‘C’ avionics, dual alternator and EMAX. Cruise speed at 8-10,000 is about 153 KTAS (ROP) - going LOP loses around 5-7 knots but much better fuel burn - ROP is around 10.5 GPH LOP is around 8.4. LOP is smooth - GAMI spread is around 0.6gph. Climb rate is pretty much as per book, though when fully loaded the climb is rather slow above 8000’ (300fpm). It does seem to have lost a few knots since new, probably due to stone chips on the prop, fairings not perfect, etc.

CG is NOT a problem, it is nearly impossible to get out of CG range, except at the forward limit - 2 big people in the front and nothing in the back does put it right at the front limit.

Reliability has been excellent, only one trip cancelled due to mechanical problems (electric fuel pump). Starting is easy since the modified port drains were installed. Maintenance costs have been higher than I would like, since there always seems to be something extra to do at 100 hourly inspections.

All in all, very happy with the plane, the extra speed and load carrying of the SR22 would be nice, but hard to justify the extra cost (no high mountains to climb over here in Oz).

In reply to:

You can go to the Cirrus Design web site and see the POH along with many other documents. Most of the information you are asking for is here.

Any relationship between the figures in the POH and actual SR20 numbers is purely coincidental. Subtract 15 knots from all speeds and add a few hundred pounds to the empty weight.

Ok, thanks for the links, but I already have the POH and can read the numbers. I was looking for more “real-world” info. Does the aircraft truly cruise at 155 knots at 10,000 (72%)?How much does a normally equipped aircraft stray from the 2050 lb standard empty weight?

Rick.

In reply to:

Any relationship between the figures in the POH and actual SR20 numbers is purely coincidental. Subtract 15 knots from all speeds and add a few hundred pounds to the empty weight.

Generalizations can be dangerous. For instance, the most adverse stall speed of an SR20 in the landing configuration is not 41 knots.

It’s true that the SR20 POH contains some errors, but I never thought it to be deliberately misleading. My empty weight did come in over the current published standard empty weight, but after allowing for the advertised weight of the options and extras I bought, the difference was 9 lbs. My cruise speed was two to four knots less than advertised at book conditions. In some areas (for example range and endurance), my airplane exceeded advertised figures by a decent margin.

After a year or so of sporadic attention to mostly small teething problems, the airplane was the most reliable I’ve had in 26+ years of airplane ownership. Cirrus’ support on warranty issues was excellent – my only persistent beef is that I wish they’d be better about communicating well on a consistent basis.

I sold N84MR almost 3 years after I bought her, with 950 hours on the Hobbs. I was a very satisfied SR20 owner, and now I’m a very satisfied SR22 owner.

• Mike.

Edited to add maintenance history info.

Mike: Thanks for the detailed response. I am sure you speak for countless Cirrus owners who all believe that they got way more than bargained for in their aircraft!

I, for one am pleased that my aircraft’s endurance at LOP far exceeds mine!

I did have to put in GAMI injectors to smooth out the engine, but this is a characteristic of Continental engines, not Cirrus aircraft. Some engines are pretty smooth at LOP fuel flows right out of the factory, but mine had a 1.1 gph spread. I am not sure of the present spread as I am waiting for a cross country flight with an additional pilot aboard to re-run a full GAMI test. On local flights it is very smooth at low fuel flows, so I believe the figure will come out pretty small.

My experience almost exactlly mirrors Mike’s, other than the 22 upgrade (damn!).

As one of the earlier owners, I had meaningful teething problems, but they were all resolved and Cirrus was appropriately supportive. With 600 hours and the bugs seemingly worked out, a $220M investment (including post-purchase upgrades), I’m tremendously satisfied. And, I’m not always an easy customer to satisfy.

Andy

In reply to:

I did have to put in GAMI injectors to smooth out the engine, but this is a characteristic of Continental engines, not Cirrus aircraft. Some engines are pretty smooth at LOP fuel flows right out of the factory, but mine had a 1.1 gph spread. I am not sure of the present spread as I am waiting for a cross country flight with an additional pilot aboard to re-run a full GAMI test. On local flights it is very smooth at low fuel flows, so I believe the figure will come out pretty small.

Stephen,

Twice now (on N84MR and on N1MR), I’ve been able to get my “GAMI spread” very tight by simply swapping around existing injectors. With N84MR, I then kept the injectors in the right cylinders by simply begging mechanics to do that; but on N1MR, I had them stamped for easier tracking. This photo shows the stamp on the injector in cylinder 5 - it’s ‘E’ for now, but that might change as I continue to tweak.

I agree that some out-of-the box engines do seem to need some attention, though, to get the fuel flow balanced enough to support LOP operations. I also know that I’ve been lucky by having things close enough for injector-swapping to work – many owners probably will need GAMIjectors to get there.

LOP is amazing - the more I learn, the better it gets.

• Mike.

My last plane a SR20 2001, I would at 8000 feet and 12.8 Gal per hour do 155 knots. Which compared to my other planes 2 trinidads. They did about 5 knots under book. My SR22 does 185 all the time at 19 gal and 6 to 9 thousand. Still have not done the rich of peak still breaking her in. Don

My SR20 typically cruises at 155-160kts (really) at between 7 & 10k ft. It is a C model w/ stormscope and weighs in at 2085. The better performance and less weight may be because it has a 2 blade prop.

Model C, stormscope, and 2 blade prop, 145 to 150 kts weighing in at 2118 lb.

wonder what accounts for the difference? Maybe it’s that nitro fuel I use?

In reply to:

wonder what accounts for the difference? Maybe it’s that nitro fuel I use?

Maybe it is because my passenger door won’t close flush with the fuselage and Cirrus is unable to fix the problem.

What I can’t figure is why your plane is 33 pounds lighter.

In reply to:

a $220M investment (including post-purchase upgrades), I’m tremendously satisfied. And, I’m not always an easy customer to satisfy.

With $220 million invested, you’d better be satisfied!! [:)]

Walt

Thanks Clyde!

Good info…