Tugs & Towbars???

Mike, Nice sign, and thanks for volunteering to be the emergency contact for my plane. If an FBO does call you, please explain that I don’t want them to move the plane or wash the windows.

Thanks again,

Marty

Mike,
Ahhh, much easier. Like Marty, I’d also like to express my appreciation for your generous offer to take any calls regarding my plane. I trust your decisions far more than my own.

Clyde,

Thanks for the insight into flying Down Under.

Cheers,
Roger

Charlie,

This looks like the best suggestion I’ve seen so far. What is the second strip of metal for? (The one with the notice). Reinforcement?

Thanks,

Walt

Clyde is right.
In Australia you often have to bang in the pegs yourself for a tie down.
Though at Yackandandah airstrip in inland Australia, they have trained the kangaroos to tow your plane into the hangar for you.
Often takes five or six roos but if you are lucky enough to get one of them old man kangaroos allocated to you, you’ll be in and out in no time.

Fair dinkum
Tony

In reply to:

Like Marty, I’d also like to express my appreciation for your generous offer to take any calls regarding my plane. I trust your decisions far more than my own.

Marty, Greg…

It’s the least I can do, fellers… considering that my OWN signs list YOUR cell phone numbers for any needs between midnight and 6 a.m, along with clear instructions about billing the fuel and ramp fees to you. [;)]

Mike.

It’s hard to see in the attached picture, but the cross bar is actually “Z” shaped for strength and the “message” on the part that you can see says “remove towbar after use - never leave attached”…there is one or more story about taxiing and even takeoff with the towbar still on the nosewheel.

In reply to:

there is one or more story about taxiing and even takeoff with the towbar still on the nosewheel.

Charlie,

Yup… those are the stories that persuaded me to add a reflector to my Thundervolt towbar.

In practice, if you get into the airplane while the tug is attached, the vibration sets the reflector swinging from side to side… you’d have to be blind to miss it.

Mike.

Mike: Looks like a great idea. Where did you get that reflector?

In reply to:

Where did you get that reflector?

Home Depot.

They’re called “Driveway Reflectors”. The one I bought has an aluminum shaft; seems like the only ones they talk about online here* have fiberglass shafts, which would be OK but not as easy to mount (I bent the shaft through 90 degrees near the bottom to aid in the mounting). They had both types (fiberglass and aluminum) in the store.

*There is a session ID of sorts in the link, so if it doesn’t work for you just go to the Home Depot web site and search for “reflector”.

They cost $1.98 ea.

Mike.

Though at Yackandandah airstrip in inland Australia, they have trained the kangaroos to tow your plane into the hangar for you.
Often takes five or six roos but if you are lucky enough to get one of them old man kangaroos allocated to you, you’ll be in and out in no time.

Tony,

By any chance is the manager of this airport http://www.sna.net.au/greatmoments/movies/skippy/skippy.htmlSkippy, the Bush Kangaroo?

Cheers,
Roger

Skippy never made it to manager of the airport. His know-it-all attitude pissed off too many people

Tony