Nosewheel pant protection

In the three weeks or so that I’ve had N84MR, I’ve begged line personnel at various airports to be CAREFUL when attaching and removing towbars; even so, a few scratches have already appeared.

In self defense, I made a cover for the nosewheel. It was so quick and easy to do that I thought I’d share it.

It just happens that the floor mat which is sold for use in front of a toilet is exactly the right shape for the job. I bought one for $10 at a local Target. [So that you don’t have to suffer the condescending look I got when I asked, it’s called a “Bathroom Contour Rug”.]

I took it out to my 'plane and marked the two spots where I needed to make holes for the towbar. Snip-snip with a pair of scissors, glue on some Velcro (the kind used for wrapping around wire bundles, so that it is fuzzy on one surface, rough on the other), and in 10 minutes, it was done.

The rubber coating on the bottom of the mat really clings to the wheel pant, and the mat wedges in place between the wheel pant and the strut; so I doubt that it could ever blow away, even in a strong wind. The Velcro may not be necessary.

Woor also made an excellent suggestion: When possible, leave the towbar attached, to encourage hand-towing of the 'plane.

Photos of the cover are at www.photoasa.com

Login Name: mikerad

Password: SR20 (note: case-sensitive)

The other photos there are of a simple Cockpit Voice Recorder, and a box for providing ship’s power to Lightspeed headsets. (Those are described in “Headset power, and Poor Man’s CVR - Wed Jan 24 21:25:47 2001)”, which is in the 2001-Jan-wk3 archive).

• Mike.

Thanks for the adviseIn the three weeks or so that I’ve had N84MR, I’ve begged line personnel at various airports to be CAREFUL when attaching and removing towbars; even so, a few scratches have already appeared.

In self defense, I made a cover for the nosewheel. It was so quick and easy to do that I thought I’d share it.

It just happens that the floor mat which is sold for use in front of a toilet is exactly the right shape for the job. I bought one for $10 at a local Target. [So that you don’t have to suffer the condescending look I got when I asked, it’s called a “Bathroom Contour Rug”.]

I took it out to my 'plane and marked the two spots where I needed to make holes for the towbar. Snip-snip with a pair of scissors, glue on some Velcro (the kind used for wrapping around wire bundles, so that it is fuzzy on one surface, rough on the other), and in 10 minutes, it was done.

The rubber coating on the bottom of the mat really clings to the wheel pant, and the mat wedges in place between the wheel pant and the strut; so I doubt that it could ever blow away, even in a strong wind. The Velcro may not be necessary.

Woor also made an excellent suggestion: When possible, leave the towbar attached, to encourage hand-towing of the 'plane.

The other photos there are of a simple Cockpit Voice Recorder, and a box for providing ship’s power to Lightspeed headsets. (Those are described in “Headset power, and Poor Man’s CVR - Wed Jan 24 21:25:47 2001)”, which is in the 2001-Jan-wk3 archive).

• Mike.

In the three weeks or so that I’ve had N84MR, I’ve begged line personnel at various airports to be CAREFUL when attaching and removing towbars; even so, a few scratches have already appeared.

• Mike.

Outstanding idea. They can even be color co-ordinated.

For someone like me it could even save my seats as I find myself checking under the airplane alot and usually have nothing to sit/put my knees on. Then I end up with dirty pants before I crawl into the airplane.

A must have item.

M. Myers

• Mike.

Great Idea Mike. I was cursing my nosewheel just yesterday after the towbar snapped off and put a big scratch in the paint.

Any idea how to make the towbar more secure?

Stuart

Thanks for the adviseIn the three weeks or so that I’ve had N84MR, I’ve begged line personnel at various airports to be CAREFUL when attaching and removing towbars; even so, a few scratches have already appeared.

Great idea on the nosewheel covers.

Stuart,

I’m working on a way to keep the towbar from slipping off, and also to lock it so nobody’s tempted to remove it and use the tractor. (Thanks to Woor for suggesting this).

When I’ve got it figured out, I’ll post details.

Mike.

• Mike.

Great Idea Mike. I was cursing my nosewheel just yesterday after the towbar snapped off and put a big scratch in the paint.

Stuart

I use a Cessna style towbar from Sportys. It is essentially the same as the one from Cirrus but is more substantial and works far better. With appologies to Cirrus, The one with the plane is a cheap imitation.

I have to make a comment on this. I know we all preflight our aircraft by the book. In the early 70’s I witnessed three incidents. One a cherokee was started with the toebar installed. The bar ended up stuck in the side of a hanger and the prop had one heck of a gash. Two I stopped another aircraft from starting to taxi with the towbar installed. This time it cleared the prop. Three a Cessna 182 landed and taxied up to the gas pump with the toebar still installed on the nose wheel. Yes it’s a lack of attention and poor pilot preflight but it happens. The nose wheel cover is an excellent idea. I will be using this idea as soon as SR22 #86 is delivered.

Stuart,

I’m working on a way to keep the towbar from slipping off, and also to lock it so nobody’s tempted to remove it and use the tractor. (Thanks to Woor for suggesting this).

When I’ve got it figured out, I’ll post details.

Mike.

I use a Cessna style towbar from Sportys. It is essentially the same as the one from Cirrus but is more substantial and works far better. With appologies to Cirrus, The one with the plane is a cheap imitation.

1. Idea for cloth protection is great. Will get something like that tomorrow.

2)Agree that the factory-issue towbar is not up to the specs of the rest of the plane. Is the one you got the “Deluxe Cessna Towbar,” $47.95 from Sportys?

thanks jf