PowerTow

Am considering getting a PowerTow 35EZ (electric) for use with an SR22.

Can anyone confirm that the PowerTow 35/40 attach properly to the castering nosewheel of the SR2X.

Also, any feedback on the PowerTow line.

Bob

Can anyone confirm that the PowerTow 35/40 attach properly to the castering nosewheel of the SR2X.

Bob

Bob/others,

I was looking at the PowerTow, too, but during a recent visit to my local Home Depot, I noticed that they sell full-blown ride-on tractors for about the same $$ - at least in the ballpark (~$800). These are about 12 HP, electric start, headlights, several forward gears plus reverse, etc.

Assuming that these have clutches that can be engaged smoothly enough (I haven’t tried one yet), is there any reason not to buy one of these, and just fit an appropriate tow bar? It would have to be done just right, especially for pushing the airplane backwards. It just seems like much better value for money - and the tractor could be used to tow the garbage can to the dumpster, too…

Any comments appreciated, especially if you’ve done it.

• Mike.

Bob

I bought the PowerTow (electric) for my SR22 and have used it about a month now.It works really well pushing the plane backwards, especially if you have a slight up-hill grade to get into your hanger and you are by yourself without anyone to help push.

Attaching properly is not a problem, jest let PowerTow know what type of aircraft you are using it for, and they will put the right attachments on for you.

Hope this info helps you.

Dan

Bob

Bob, I am using a PowerTow “Thundervolt” model to move my SR22. I chose the Thundervolt model because it is about 25 pounds heavier than the 35/40 and thus has better traction. I also ordered the “short extensions” which mount on top of the existing tow bar. This extension gives additional clearance from the front of the nose gear fairing and also elevates the tow’s locking mechanism so that it is more in line with the SR22’s nose gear lugs.

I’ve had no difficulty moving the SR22 with this arrangement and I have a slight uphill grade backing into the hangar. The gearing is such that reverse is a little more powerful/lower geared than the forward gear. The ThunderVolt also has the advantage, in my mind, of freeing you from the need to use a cord while moving the aircraft versus the electric model which has the need for an electric umbilical cord.

The ThunderVolt in operation is drawing its power from a substantial battery mounted on the tow unit. When not in use you use an extension cord to plug the unit into the power circuit and leave it that way so you always have a fully charged battery.

Good luck with your choice! Gary

Bob

I have used a PowerTow for the past year for my Dakota. I continue to have difficuilty with maintaining attachment, as one side or the other can come free especially when turning the aircraft. All the gashes in the nose wheel fairing are not pretty.

While the Cirrus attachment points may work better, I have six months to wait, I suggest you search further back on this site for the nose wheel cover which was discussed, with pictures provided.

Bob

Question from the newbie: Does one primarily use a powertow to back the plane into the hanger?

If so, then why not just have a winch attached to the back wall and hook it up the the rear tie down (assuming there IS a rear tie down)?

• Steven

Bob

I was thinking of the same thing. I noticed a neighbor of mine mounted the trailer hitch on the front of his tractor. That way he wouldn’t have to back the plane into the hanger – which is the hard part. Good point about the clutch. Also, is the lowest gear slow enough? Have you seen any tractors with a way to mount the hitch on the front? And, the tow bars can get a bit pricey.

I now have an electric tow on my Archer and it struggles to get the plane up a slight incline and into the hanger. I don’t think I’d buy another electric.

I was looking at the PowerTow, too, but during a recent visit to my local Home Depot, I noticed that they sell full-blown ride-on tractors for about the same $$ - at least in the ballpark (~$800). These are about 12 HP, electric start, headlights, several forward gears plus reverse, etc.

Assuming that these have clutches that can be engaged smoothly enough (I haven’t tried one yet), is there any reason not to buy one of these, and just fit an appropriate tow bar? It would have to be done just right, especially for pushing the airplane backwards. It just seems like much better value for money - and the tractor could be used to tow the garbage can to the dumpster, too…

• Mike.

I was thinking of the same thing. I noticed a neighbor of mine mounted the trailer hitch on the front of his tractor. That way he wouldn’t have to back the plane into the hanger – which is the hard part. Good point about the clutch. Also, is the lowest gear slow enough? Have you seen any tractors with a way to mount the hitch on the front? And, the tow bars can get a bit pricey.

I now have an electric tow on my Archer and it struggles to get the plane up a slight incline and into the hanger. I don’t think I’d buy another electric.

• Mike.

The mechanic who works on my current airplane uses a 4 wheel golf cart. He fabricated an attachment to hook his tow bar to the front of it so he is facing forward toward the airplane. He has plenty of low in torque without clutches to worry about (the beauty of electric motors). Its very manuverable due to the front wheels of the cart steering. I saw him move a Barron up an incline with ease.

If someone was the least bit electrically talented, the batteries of the golf cart could probably be wired to provide a jump start in the event of a dead battery.

Mike

If so, then why not just have a winch attached to the back wall and hook it up the the rear tie down (assuming there IS a rear tie down)?

• Steven

Steven,

The main reason is the design geometry of the castoring nosewheel. The castor pivot point is ahead of the wheel, for good castoring when the airplane is moving forwards. That makes it unstable when going backwards - without some sort of towbar to provide positive direction control, the nosewheel tries to “kick” to one side or the other.

• Mike.

Steven, Based on previous discussions which I had with Cirrus [Mike Busch] the rear tie down ring is NOT stressed or designed for diagonal pulling forces. My recollection is that the words “damage to bulkheads might/will occur” were used. The idea of winching has been previously discussed on the forum and you should be able to find those postings using the search function. The “selected” tow arrangement is normally used both to back the plane and to pull it forward, although backing is where a powered tow really is very helpful. Gary

Question from the newbie: Does one primarily use a powertow to back the plane into the hanger?

• Steven

Bob

Why not use a winch and steer with the aircraft’s towbar while the plane is being pulled into the hangar? I realize that you still would have to pull the aircraft out of the hangar manually, put pulling is usually much easier than pushing. Is there are structural reason why the tail tiedown can’t be used for this purpose?

Jerry Seckler

The main reason is the design geometry of the castoring nosewheel. The castor pivot point is ahead of the wheel, for good castoring when the airplane is moving forwards. That makes it unstable when going backwards - without some sort of towbar to provide positive direction control, the nosewheel tries to “kick” to one side or the other.

• Mike.

Why not use a winch and steer with the aircraft’s towbar while the plane is being pulled into the hangar? I realize that you still would have to pull the aircraft out of the hangar manually, put pulling is usually much easier than pushing. Is there are structural reason why the tail tiedown can’t be used for this purpose?

Jerry Seckler

Jerry,

It’s a good question. I don’t know the answer - there’s at least a possibility that we shouldn’t be using that tiedown to pull the airplane. During my delivery training, I was warned that if I ever hit that tiedown ring (tailstrike), the airplane must be inspected before flying again - the tiedown ring is attached to the rudder’s lower hinge. Pulling wasn’t mentioned - we’d need to ask Cirrus.

Whoever gets the definitive answer, please post.

• Mike.

Mike.

Jerry Seckler

Jerry,

It’s a good question. I don’t know the answer - there’s at least a possibility that we shouldn’t be using that tiedown to pull the airplane. During my delivery training, I was warned that if I ever hit that tiedown ring (tailstrike), the airplane must be inspected before flying again - the tiedown ring is attached to the rudder’s lower hinge. Pulling wasn’t mentioned - we’d need to ask Cirrus.

Whoever gets the definitive answer, please post.

• Mike.

Mike.

Mike,

I have it second hand that the rear tie down ring is NOT to be used to tow the airplane backwords. I was told this by the other Cirrus owner at IOW who had asked Cirrus directly that specific question.

I suspect that if it was used it would be very difficult to both steer the nosewheel and keep one hand on the winch switch at the same time. An expensive accident waiting to happen.

Stuart

I suspect that if it was used it would be very difficult to both steer the nosewheel and keep one hand on the winch switch at the same time. An expensive accident waiting to happen.

I bought a winch for my hangar (http://www.allenmachineco.com/pages/data/airplane.htmwww.allenmachineco.com/pages/data/airplane.htm), and have been using it successfully with my C-182. Per the winch manufacturers instructions, I don’t winch it by the tail tiedown hook. I made a bridle that hooks around the mains. I got the wired remote control option with the winch, but the relay in it was DOA. I bought a heavy-duty relay and a radio remote control switch from Radio Shack and rewired it.

It is easy to steer the towbar with one hand while

winching the plane back into the hangar. It needs a little push to help it over the door tracks, but

otherwise can pull it up the slight incline just fine. It winches rather slowly, so if the remote fails to turn it off, I’d have plenty of time to run around and unplug the winch.

Once I get my SR22 and verify that the winch works

OK with it, I can post some pictures of the whole

setup.

-Mike

P.S. Anyone want to buy a 1997 C-182S in mint condition?

I bought a winch for my hangar (http://www.allenmachineco.com/pages/data/airplane.htmwww.allenmachineco.com/pages/data/airplane.htm), and have been using it successfully with my C-182. Per the winch manufacturers instructions, I don’t winch it by the tail tiedown hook. I made a bridle that hooks around the mains. I got the wired remote control option with the winch, but the relay in it was DOA. I bought a heavy-duty relay and a radio remote control switch from Radio Shack and rewired it.

It is easy to steer the towbar with one hand while

winching the plane back into the hangar. It needs a little push to help it over the door tracks, but

otherwise can pull it up the slight incline just fine. It winches rather slowly, so if the remote fails to turn it off, I’d have plenty of time to run around and unplug the winch.

Once I get my SR22 and verify that the winch works

OK with it, I can post some pictures of the whole

setup.

-Mike

P.S. Anyone want to buy a 1997 C-182S in mint condition?

I would be very carefull winching the SR22 (or 20) with the bridle as you suggest. I think both main gear struts are covered with fairings, which are non-structural. If am very worried that if you tried that you would bend the fairings.

The nose gear strut is also covered with a fairing and it slopes forward at a bout a 45 degree angle so it has onthing to grab onto anyway.

Now, if you could rig a winch which attached to the front wheel lugs, you may be onto something…

Marty

I would be very carefull winching the SR22 (or 20) with the bridle as you suggest. I think both main gear struts are covered with fairings, which are non-structural. If am very worried that if you tried that you would bend the fairings.

The nose gear strut is also covered with a fairing and it slopes forward at a bout a 45 degree angle so it has onthing to grab onto anyway.

Now, if you could rig a winch which attached to the front wheel lugs, you may be onto something…

Marty,

Thanks for the warning. I’ll talk to Mike Busch about this when I pick up my '22.

From a structural standpoint, the front wheel lugs would be a good choice, but I’m guessing that might make it harder to steer. I may just have to experiment.

-Mike