static

Has anyone had this problem? Today, while flying IFR through
thick clouds, moderate rain and mild icing my transponder faded in and out, my flat-panel (MFD) engine monitoring instruments failed (steam gauges ok) and the strike finder showed we were surrounded by many strikes, though there was no convective activity in the area. My CFI who was with me told me of similar symptoms in a SR 22 G2 that he was flying in a week or so ago. The Cirrus avionics shop thought it might be due to static build-up.

Sounds exactly like precipatation static, or P-Static. A search for either will turn up a lot of posts. Here’s the SB that addresses this: SB 2X-34-08; it seems to be the cure.

Paul Boedecker

David,
Go to the members forum where the phenomenon of P-static is discussed at length.

In reply to:

David,
Go to the members forum where the phenomenon of P-static is discussed at length.

Thanks for the info. Is this an uncommon situation or can I expect this type of problem frequently when flying in the soup?

In reply to:

Thanks for the info. Is this an uncommon situation or can I expect this type of problem frequently when flying in the soup?

David,

It’s quite common on some airplanes. On most of those, there’s an easy fix that seems to take care of it. I know of a couple of airplanes with seemingly intractable problems - hopefully yours isn’t like that. Both the suggestions made here are excellent - check weather the temperature probe grounding Service Bulletin applies to you, and if appropriate, get it done, per Paul’s recommendation. And, as Jerry pointed out, there is a TON of discussion on P-static on the Member Discussion forum. If you aren’t already familiar with the Search function at the top of this page, this is a really good reason to familiarize yourself with it.

Bottom line: The problem isn’t likely to go away on its own.

• Mike.

I just read SB 2X-34-08B. The SB is “optional” and at owner’s expense to fix a well known and well documented product defect. Huh? How do you guys feel about that? We found the problem, now we have to pay for it too?