radio howling

Our SR 20 exhibits strong howling in both coms when we fly through rain. Sometimes the howling has been so strong that we were close to signaling RADIO FAILURE. Usually the howling disappears soon after we are out the rain again. We assume that the issue is static related. Does anybody have that problem too? Does anyone know a fix for that problem?
Heinz-Otto Peitgen N242PS

In reply to:

Our SR 20 exhibits strong howling in both coms when we fly through rain. Sometimes the howling has been so strong that we were close to signaling RADIO FAILURE. Usually the howling disappears soon after we are out the rain again. We assume that the issue is static related. Does anybody have that problem too? Does anyone know a fix for that problem?
Heinz-Otto Peitgen N242PS

This is almost certainly P-static, and yes, it’s quite well known. There is some anecdotal evidence that the SB for grounding the SIU temperature probe is beneficial in solving this problem.
There is a LOT of discussion on this and other important owner issues on the Members Discussion Forum - just one of the many reasons I believe that anyone with an interest in Cirrus aircraft gets great enjoyment from their participation there. Sounds as though you are at least a partner in an SR20; so of course I’d encourage you to join! Personally, I can’t imagine owning or flying a Cirrus without the collective wisdom (and humor, camaraderie, etc.) of our members.

• Mike.

Mike,

Good to have you back on the WEB site!!

Walt