Disheartened by transponder problems...

While I was very happy to read about the continued steady flow of good press for CD, I have to count myself as quite surprised by the extent on the faulty transponder issue, AND the seeming complacency that many are showing to it. A bad antenna design issue (or whatever it is) – a faulty transponder is FAR MORE than a nuissance. It is a legitamate safety issue for anyone frequenting controlled airspace. Forget about the fact that if you are anywhere near busy airpsace and you are switched to type:X (as in no xponder) that you can add 20 minutes to the tip by the time ATC deviates you for safety purposes. You shouldn’t be in busy airspace period because you are now unsafe. To you and EVERY one else in that area. A brief visit to the SMO tower a while back showed me just how important those little boxes were. And just how much added work you are making for ATC if the box goes on the blink. And while the conversations I’ve heard, such as one on Mike’s amazing CVR, show just how accomodating and patient ATC will be, the bottom line is you are now a problem in the air. This shouldn’t happen on a brand new airplane, but it has which is ok, as long as its fixed quickly, from the design standpoint. If your brand new 1/4 of a million dollar airplane has on/off trouble with its brand new Garmin transponder NOW, wait for a couple years to by, and it won’t work at all, and you’ll be grounding you plane and paying to get the system put right.

Let’s not panic! First, we don’t know where the problem lies. It could well be that terrain, ATC, the specific transponder code(s), or the SRXX could be at fault. At this point, it appears that a number of us are having intermit problems with the transponder registering properly (or at least consistently) with ATC. The FAA is not known for having the latest and greatest equipment, but that does not reduce the requirement on us to make sure that our equipment checks out. From the posts to date it appears that there is NOT a detectible problem with the SR2X. I could speculate as to what I think the problem(s) might be, but I would rather have some technical folks get that some thought.

However, I agree with you that the transponder is necessary and its uses tied to safety so getting some more insight as to what could be causing these intermit issues needs to be “worked” further.

Agree that defunct xpdrs are a big safety problem. However, data points to put this in perspective:

– on one Cirrus flight (with a demo plane, last year) I had ATC say they just couldn’t pick up the signal, and I had to go the remaining hour as a primary-only target.

– the other dozen or so times this has happened to me, it’s been a five- or at most ten- minute phenomenon. After recycling the transponder, trying different codes, or (perhaps) getting into different radar coverage, ATC has been able to pick up the signal again. At least for me, this hasn’t ever occurred right around an airport or in busy airspace. (Know it may be different for others.) For me, it’s always been in fairly remote areas, where some combination of possible Cirrus problems and possible ATC problems has meant that the signal is lost.

The main point is: I agree with Walt. SOmething is going on, but it’s not very clear what its origins might be. Cirrus should take it seriously, and the Cirrus-owners’ fleet should try to sleuth it out. But it’s not quite as ominous as it may have been made to sound, at least in my experience. jimf

I am under the impression CD suspects an issue with the plane’s antenna - per a conversation with another pilot whose xponder has failed on a consistent basis. I would be interested in hearing how many planes have not had this problem at all.

I am under the impression CD suspects an issue with the plane’s antenna - per a conversation with another pilot whose xponder has failed on a consistent basis. I would be interested in hearing how many planes have not had this problem at all.

Dean,

I’ve only had two isolated instances of this problem in over 50 hours now. Both times shutting the transponder off for 15 seconds and back on seemed to help. But then again, maybe just sitting there for 15 seconds also would have helped.

So I can’t say I’ve not had this problem at all, but it certainly doesn’t seem to be any more common than with any other plane I’ve flown. In my experience with rental aircraft, it isn’t that uncommon to every once in a great while have a controller say they can’t see your transponder, and after a few seconds (or cycling the power) have it work again. I always assumed it was just transient problems with ATC radar, or something temporarily blocking the signal, etc.

My plane is within a serial number or two of Mike’s (N84MR) but yet it seems like he’s having lots of problems. Not sure what the significance of that is, except to indicate that it doesn’t seem like a whole block of planes had this same problem.

Steve

I have switched the 320 for the new 327 and have had no problems with the 200 hour #37. Everything is flawless.

I fly a Piper Archer spam can and have never had a problem with the transponder. We fly IFR all the time. I think it’s the Cirrus, not ATC. They better get it fixed before I take delivery.

It may be I am crying wolf. I’ve just noticed over the year or so I’ve been watching this board that transponder keeps poppping up, and as much as the occasional re-cycle the unit happens to all of us, it seemed like it was happening across the board with a rate higher than the folks at CD would want. Of course, if Cirrus or anyone else would like me to test their planes for them while I wait for '02 to come along, I would be more than happy to oblige, after all I was the one who brought it up so it’s the least I can do :slight_smile:

Dean

It may be I am crying wolf. I’ve just noticed over the year or so I’ve been watching this board that transponder keeps poppping up, and as much as the occasional re-cycle the unit happens to all of us, it seemed like it was happening across the board with a rate higher than the folks at CD would want. Of course, if Cirrus or anyone else would like me to test their planes for them while I wait for '02 to come along, I would be more than happy to oblige, after all I was the one who brought it up so it’s the least I can do :slight_smile:

Dean

Since I was on mentioning transponder and flaps

Since I was talking about transponder and Flap problem. thought I would say what a great plane it is to fly after i was in the shop last week and just got out again today. It is worth the wait and the minor problems. Sorry about multiple post

Dean

I fly a Piper Archer spam can and have never had a problem with the transponder. We fly IFR all the time. I think it’s the Cirrus, not ATC. They better get it fixed before I take delivery.

Ah, now you are on to something! I myself have never lost the transponder while on a ifr flight. I think this is because the mea. Dave and I did lose it in colorado and the controller had us climb 1000ft and signal was fine. I think we are over thinking this one, so I post the question how many of you have lost the signal on a ifr flight plan?..Ed

Dave and I did lose it in colorado and the controller had us climb 1000ft and signal was fine. I think we are over thinking this one, so I post the question how many of you have lost the signal on a ifr flight plan?..Ed

Ed,

Most of my trips since I took delivery of N84MR have been IFR, 2-4 hours in duration, and at altitudes between 6,000 and 12,000 feet over relatively low terrain in areas of good radar coverage. On most legs (about 3 out of 5) I’ve had at least one “lost radar contact” event; some days are better than others.

I don’t know (and I’m not suggesting) that I’m experiencing a “Cirrus Issue” - nor that the problem I’m facing is a typical one. I do know that I have some sort of issue, and that Cirrus is working to help me get it resolved.

FWIW, my transponder is a Garmin 327.

Mike.

Ed,

A few times I have had the controller tell me, while IFR at or above the MEA, that s/he lost my transponder (in the various *%&$^-cans that I fly). I all cases, the controller was not surprised. The MEA guarantees that you’ll receive at least one of the VORs that define the airway, and does not guarantee radar coverage.

glenn

Ah, now you are on to something! I myself have never lost the transponder while on a ifr flight. I think this is because the mea. Dave and I did lose it in colorado and the controller had us climb 1000ft and signal was fine. I think we are over thinking this one, so I post the question how many of you have lost the signal on a ifr flight plan?..Ed

I had a Lancair for over 4 years. For some reason I had to take it to the shop several times because of ATC not picking up the transponder or mode C. Several shops could not find anything wrong. We even put the transponder in a hot box and it would work for hours without any problems. I won’t forget the day I spent all day trying to figure out what the problem was at a good avionics shop, it tested good at the bench, in the airplane, in someone else’s airplane but as soon as I got airborne Atlanta Center would not pick it up. This was only about 10-20% of the time, the rest it worked fine. I do believe it has to be in the ground plane of a fiberglass machine. I do hope that someone is really working in fixing the problems. I am curious if the 327 unit is working well with other airplanes. Have a great day :slight_smile:

Woor

Dave and I did lose it in colorado and the controller had us climb 1000ft and signal was fine. I think we are over thinking this one, so I post the question how many of you have lost the signal on a ifr flight plan?..Ed

Ed,

Most of my trips since I took delivery of N84MR have been IFR, 2-4 hours in duration, and at altitudes between 6,000 and 12,000 feet over relatively low terrain in areas of good radar coverage. On most legs (about 3 out of 5) I’ve had at least one “lost radar contact” event; some days are better than others.

I don’t know (and I’m not suggesting) that I’m experiencing a “Cirrus Issue” - nor that the problem I’m facing is a typical one. I do know that I have some sort of issue, and that Cirrus is working to help me get it resolved.

Mike.

I had a Lancair for over 4 years. For some reason I had to take it to the shop several times because of ATC not picking up the transponder or mode C. Several shops could not find anything wrong. We even put the transponder in a hot box and it would work for hours without any problems. I won’t forget the day I spent all day trying to figure out what the problem was at a good avionics shop, it tested good at the bench, in the airplane, in someone else’s airplane but as soon as I got airborne Atlanta Center would not pick it up. This was only about 10-20% of the time, the rest it worked fine. I do believe it has to be in the ground plane of a fiberglass machine. I do hope that someone is really working in fixing the problems. I am curious if the 327 unit is working well with other airplanes. Have a great day :slight_smile:

Woor

Ed,

Mike.
Composite planes are more prone to static electricity build up. Could this be part of the problem? From the posts it is obvious that the transponder itself is OK as the bench tests are always normal. This has to be an intereference problem either from an antenna issue or static from the plane.

Brian

Woor

Ed,

Mike.
Composite planes are more prone to static electricity build up. Could this be part of the problem? From the posts it is obvious that the transponder itself is OK as the bench tests are always normal. This has to be an intereference problem either from an antenna issue or static from the plane.

Brian

I’ve been told by Cirrus that this problem has been alleviated since switching to the new Garmin GTX327 transponder instead of the older 320. Is anyone having similar problems with the 327?

Jeff

For me, it’s always been in fairly remote areas, where some combination of possible Cirrus problems and possible ATC problems has meant that the signal is lost.

I’ve had this experience exactly once, in a fairly remote part of north central New Mexico, at relatively low altitude (AGL anyhow) with “high terrain all quadrants.” When I suggested that the terrain might be at issue, I got a terse “I know the capabilities of my equipment” from the controller. Hrmph. When I hit the next ZAB sector the next guy had no difficulties at all. I think maybe the first guy’s attitude was attenuating the signal…