Starting an SR20

It’s 45 degrees in Michigan and my 2006 20 won’t start. Using the POH instructions are not effective. If I use a portable heater/blower it will go, but that is a pain. Any ideas?

Barry:

You don’t give much information to work with. At 45 degrees, it should start. Will it turn over briskly? If not it’s a battery or starter or charging or connection problem. If so, it’s a fuel or spark problem.

You need to get something fixed. But then, you knew that.

Jim Knollenberg SR22 1904 N5PF

After starting many many different Cirrus a person gets into the habbit of doing what works best. I open throttle, open mixture, prime 5 sec, throttle back to open aprox 1 inch and start. If it fires and dies start over… Needs more fuel…

I got yelled at from my instructor for not following the checklist, but now thats how he does it…

In reply to:

It’s 45 degrees in Michigan and my 2006 20 won’t start. Using the POH instructions are not effective. If I use a portable heater/blower it will go, but that is a pain. Any ideas?

I can feel your pain. My SR20 starts hard below 50 degrees … especially if it’s been cold the night before. I have the old style Primer & I hit it about 20 times, before it will get enough fuel to start. Below 40 degrees, my pre-heater is always on.

Do you keep the fuel pump on boost? Thanks for your reply

In reply to:

After starting many many different Cirrus a person gets into the habbit of doing what works best. I open throttle, open mixture, prime 5 sec, throttle back to open aprox 1 inch and start. If it fires and dies start over… Needs more fuel…

Dido for me. Works all the time.

Emil
I got yelled at from my instructor for not following the checklist, but now thats how he does it…

In reply to:

Do you keep the fuel pump on boost? Thanks for your reply

I don’t. My start is exactly like Jeff’s for a cold start (except maybe 6-7 seconds of prime). It has never failed to start, or quit after starting in 5 years

Most of the time no… Sometimes after annual and fuel strainer/nozzles have been opened, yes. Then I like to switch tanks several times during the first run up just to make sure there is no air left over in lines.