SR20 cold start??

As outside temperatures drop, so does the willingness of my SR20 powerplant to come alive. Tried virtually every procedure in the books, but starting up the bird after a couple of days in around zero C (or 32F) conditions is a frustrating exercise. What doesn’t work is prime for 10 seconds, switch to boost and start. More often than not a fuel stain under the nose is the result rather than a running engine. Leaving the engine to look for a cup of coffee and external power and a subsequent restart after 10 minutes gets it going for no apparent reason.

Anybody any suggestions? Is there a secret prime formula as a function of temperature? Am I the only one having difficulties (i.e is it ME??).

On a lighter note: The performance is more than superbe at lower temperatures!! (as could be expected, but still, I love this airplane!)

Thanks and happy holidays from Europe to all SR20 drivers. Many happy landings in 2001!

Han (N144CD)

Anybody any suggestions? Is there a secret prime formula as a function of temperature? Am I the only one having difficulties (i.e is it ME??).

The secret to the cold start seems to be twofold - plenty of prime, and have the throttle barely cracked off the idle stop - a mere hair’s width. This was discussed some time ago on this forum, and some input was provided by CD. Basically if you follow the book (throttle 1/4 open) the mixture is too lean even after priming to fire at cold temperatures. But having the throttle just above idle reduces the amount of air to be mixed with the prime charge, making it rich enough to fire, then as the cylinders catch you ease the throttle up carefully until it settles at a steady 1000rpm.

Try it and see - let us know.

As outside temperatures drop, so does the willingness of my SR20 powerplant to come alive. Tried virtually every procedure in the books, but starting up the bird after a couple of days in around zero C (or 32F) conditions is a frustrating exercise. What doesn’t work is prime for 10 seconds, switch to boost and start. More often than not a fuel stain under the nose is the result rather than a running engine. Leaving the engine to look for a cup of coffee and external power and a subsequent restart after 10 minutes gets it going for no apparent reason.

On a lighter note: The performance is more than superbe at lower temperatures!! (as could be expected, but still, I love this airplane!)

Thanks and happy holidays from Europe to all SR20 drivers. Many happy landings in 2001!

Han (N144CD)

I would highly recommend installing a preheat system on the engine. I use a Reiff Heater that works great and makes starting in cold weather a lot easier. The only “hitch” is you have to have power to your hangar. I also use a remote switch that allows me to turn the heater on and off by telephone. I usually turn the heater on the night before.

Han (N144CD)

Its fairly cold here in New England and starting has been particularly frustrating these last 2 months. In fact, below 40F its been damn near impossible without a pre-heat. 10 seconds of prime then boost will not not start my IO-360 regardless of throttle position and movement. (I’ve had 2 different A&P’s drain my battery giving it their best attempt.)

Out of utter frustration I called Mike Busch and said surely there’s a secret to starting these things and if anybody knows it its you guys in frosty Duluth. Here’s what he said:

PRIME FOR 30 SECONDS! 30 SECONDS! He said that’s how they do it in Duluth and have few problems with cold starts. And guess what?
It works! First time I tried it worked - OAT 34F. (I would have used pre-heat but none was available.)
Mike said you won’t flood the engine priming for 30 seconds but you do need to be careful with all that fuel spilled all over the ramp.

So if its cold and you don’t have access to a pre-heat or you don’t think one should be necessary prime the heck out of that engine - at least 30 seconds plus boost while you crank with the throttle open only a crack and presto, you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how quick your bird fires up.

We have started using another procedure here near Chicago at temperatures that have been under 20 F. We follow normal procedure except that we have the mixture control off, start priming and slowly move mixture to full rich. Yes- it takes two hands. Supposedly this eliminates any air from the lines. We prime about 10-15 sec. Also, it seems you have to keep the throttle all the way back until the engine has run about 20 sec. Advancing it earlier makes it miss.

Han (N144CD)

I have also had a lot of problems starting in cold conditions but seem to have sorted it now.

I now prime it for 15-20 seconds switch to boost and start as Clyde says with just a touch of throttle. IF it fires and you dont catch it use boost again for probably 10 seconds.

Because fuel was coming out under the engine I thought I had flooded it, but this was surplus fuel from the manifold that distributes fuel to the injectors. Therefore all the time I thought I had too much fuel it was starved.

Thanks Clyde and Robin, I’ll try again when the snow stops around here. Robin, when you say “boost again” is it boost or prime? I was also misled by the escaping fuel… According to some other source, priming can’t flood the engine, but boost can and advice was given to use boost very selectively during startup.

Happy holdays!

Han

I have also had a lot of problems starting in cold conditions but seem to have sorted it now.

I now prime it for 15-20 seconds switch to boost and start as Clyde says with just a touch of throttle. IF it fires and you dont catch it use boost again for probably 10 seconds.

Because fuel was coming out under the engine I thought I had flooded it, but this was surplus fuel from the manifold that distributes fuel to the injectors. Therefore all the time I thought I had too much fuel it was starved.

Thanks Clyde and Robin, I’ll try again when the snow stops around here. Robin, when you say “boost again” is it boost or prime? I was also misled by the escaping fuel… According to some other source, priming can’t flood the engine, but boost can and advice was given to use boost very selectively during startup.

Happy holdays!

Han

Dear Han,Clyde and Robin

This is my first post on the forum, but I think I’ve read almost every post for the last year.I own 1/3 of N314BF based @FME in Maryland. Below 35 degrees 3 experienced pilots have been unable to start the aircraft reliably, including the use of a 24 volt external power source.We have had the battery replaced but it seems very easy to run down.The most recent incarnation of the starting procedure that we use is 20 sec of prime then boost pump left on then 1/2 throttle. If it doesn’t catch re-prime and try again. External power turns the blades much faster and seems to me to be essential. We have no external power as the T hangers have yet to be built, but, we will install a pre-heat system when the hanger is built with the hope that we will be able to warm the engine enough to use the plane in winter. Otherwise the aircraft is wonderful to fly and I have left my order for a second aircraft in place as we will most likely expand our flying group to 2 planes and 5 of 6 pilots. Its currently 22 degrees today so maybe I’ll go to the plane and preheat the engine and try again. Have a Cirrus Day! Dan(N314BF)

Happy holdays!

Han

Sorry Han I should have said ‘prime again’.

Then to boost whilst starting.

I started it first time again this morning at zero degrees. This is such a relief as I found it so hard to start before.

Robin

Happy new year.

Hmprf, if this amount of priming works, it’s surely a first in aviation engines. It’ll add to the fuel bill though so it seems. The air may be different here in Holland at below sealevel, so may need to tweak the priming by a couple of milliseconds.

Seriously: this is great advice coming from reliable sources and I’ll be reporting back after testing it, as the SR20 community north of the 40th parallal seems to be struggling in dark and cold times.

To all SR20’s down under, your turn in 6 months…

Great benefit of the SR20 board!!

Cheers

Han (N144CD)

Han (N144CD)

Its fairly cold here in New England and starting has been particularly frustrating these last 2 months. In fact, below 40F its been damn near impossible without a pre-heat. 10 seconds of prime then boost will not not start my IO-360 regardless of throttle position and movement. (I’ve had 2 different A&P’s drain my battery giving it their best attempt.)

Out of utter frustration I called Mike Busch and said surely there’s a secret to starting these things and if anybody knows it its you guys in frosty Duluth. Here’s what he said:

PRIME FOR 30 SECONDS! 30 SECONDS! He said that’s how they do it in Duluth and have few problems with cold starts. And guess what?
It works! First time I tried it worked - OAT 34F. (I would have used pre-heat but none was available.)
Mike said you won’t flood the engine priming for 30 seconds but you do need to be careful with all that fuel spilled all over the ramp.

So if its cold and you don’t have access to a pre-heat or you don’t think one should be necessary prime the heck out of that engine - at least 30 seconds plus boost while you crank with the throttle open only a crack and presto, you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how quick your bird fires up.

Joe,

I tested your recipe here and it worked. I take some fuel spillage over a quick start any (cold) day!

Mind you the sample size for the test (2 starts) is small, but the enthousiasm of the engine to start providing service was encouraging.

Many happy starts and thanks for relaying the advice!

Han (N144CD EHLE)