SRV

Does anyone have information on the SRV, eg. Good Idea to buy, for $ savings. Or Bad Idea because no IFR/Hard to sell someday

In reply to:

Does anyone have information on the SRV, eg. Good Idea to buy, for $ savings. Or Bad Idea because no IFR/Hard to sell someday

Charles,

Good question. Obviously there’s no definitive answer. In my own personal opinion, I’m not sure how much of a market there will be for a used, VFR only, PFD equipped plane. (i.e. most people will want either a less expensive/non-glass VFR only plane, or will pony up a little more money for an IFR version.)

However, it depends on your mission and what your long term plans are in terms of keeping the plane and in terms of getting an instrument rating (I’m assuming you’re not instrument rated now).

If you don’t plan on getting an IFR rating and are planning to keep the plane for a long time, then it might be a good idea - especially considering that in AZ you probably don’t need the rating as much as those of us in other locales!

But otherwise, I would personally recommend against it; if money is an issue, I would personally prefer getting a used IFR SR20 than a new VFR SRV. But again, that’s just my perspective; perhaps I just can’t actually believe that people live in areas with abundant sunshine!

Cirrus has delivered 3 SRV’s since its introduction at Oshkosh last year. I suppose it carries a certain ‘exclusivity’.

Thank you for the candid replies. I have gone ahead and purchased the SRV, SN 1337 N number 936CD. This is the one that was at Oshkosh last year and featured in all of the Cirrus SRV literature.

Cirrus equipped it with the “Cross Country” option which adds upgraded PFD, Garmin 430, 55SR autopilot, and EX5000C with Emax engine monitor. Cirrus also added the HID landing light. I have added the Skywatch Traffic Information system, the 3 bladed prop, nose wheel Fairing (for SR20 performance) and leather interior.
In this confiiguration the plane makes a great deal of sense for me. As you know I got a bit of a price break due to the fact that the plane was a Cirrus Demo and they will be leasing it back from me until June or July, while I get my medical back, and some “current” experience. I’ve been away from aviation since 1988.

Actually I am instrument rated. I have a lot of Military Jet time, a fair amount of which was IFR.

Again, thanks for the feedback. I look forward to putting faces to the names as time goes by.

In reply to:

I have gone ahead and purchased the SRV, SN 1337 N number 936CD

Charles,
Congratulations and welcome to the Cirrus family. Look forward to seeing you on a Arizona ramp sometime [;)].