SR22 specs & price

I couldn’t find anything about the SR22 on CD web site. Do any of you have any information on the specs/performance and prices or when this will be available, also converting a SR20 PO for a SR22. I am now concerned about Take off performance in our hot and humid weather around here. I was flying a TB200 XL this week and at 200 lbs below gross our climb rate was in the range of 750 ft/mn.with OAT of 34 C and high humidity and I think the Take Off distance of the TB is better than the cirrus.

Jean Jacques in Singapore

300hp . . . 180+ ktas at 75% power (or thereabouts) . . . longer wingspan . . . yielding presumably greater climb and useful load. Bigger gas tanks may cancel any payload gains at full fuel. We’ll see.

Anyone heard anything about prices? My guess is $300Kish.

An earlier correpondent to this website said Cirrus will be announcing the SR22 in all of its detailed glory at the AOPA show in early October.

I couldn’t find anything about the SR22 on CD web site. Do any of you have any information on the specs/performance and prices or when this will be available, also converting a SR20 PO for a SR22. I am now concerned about Take off performance in our hot and humid weather around here. I was flying a TB200 XL this week and at 200 lbs below gross our climb rate was in the range of 750 ft/mn.with OAT of 34 C and high humidity and I think the Take Off distance of the TB is better than the cirrus.

Any way you slice it, the sr20 is a rather heavy plane for 200 hp to haul around. CD has done remarkably well to wring the kind of performance they do get out of a 2900 lb–soon to be 3050 or 3100 lb–airplane with only 200 hp. With tuned induction (I think?) and tuned exhaust the sr20’s engine probably delivers a larger portion of its “rated” hp than do other installations (Cardinal RG or Arrow for example) of 200 hp fuel-injected engines. Perhaps also some owners are having max rpm set to 2800 to capture an extra 10 hp?

Nonetheless it could certainly use an additional 25-30 hp, or perhaps a turbocharged 200 hp (diesel?) engine, to provide an extra performance margin for high/hot situations, not uncommon in the Western third of the U.S.

The 300 or 310 hp engine in the sr22 should make it a screamer, but watch out for those 16-18 gph fuel burns! Still, I have always been wryly amused by pilots who spend $180K+ on a new plane and then worry about an extra $2-3 per hour for fuel…:-)…Here’s to 75% power!

300hp . . . 180+ ktas at 75% power (or thereabouts) . . . longer wingspan . . . yielding presumably greater climb and useful load. Bigger gas tanks may cancel any payload gains at full fuel. We’ll see.

I for one hope that there will be a “base” model sr22 in the neighborhood of $240-250K, say with one GNS430, one Navcomm with glideslope, and a no-frills, STEC30-equivalent autopilot. My curmudgeonly side still says that with a moving map or two one really doesn’t need an expensive HSI…

Wishful thinking, perhaps.

I heard we position holders may be receiving a letter from CD in the next couple of months asking us to commit one way or the other to the sr22 or sr20. If true, it’s interesting that CD would ask for the commitment so early. This would be consistent with a possible need to sell more higher-margin units to actually make money [imagine that! :-)].

A factory rep told me approx. $280K base, but base would be equipped equivalent to “C” model SR20. That was his best guess.

An earlier correpondent to this website said Cirrus will be announcing the SR22 in all of its detailed glory at the AOPA show in early October.

I for one hope that there will be a “base” model sr22 in the neighborhood of $240-250K, say with one GNS430, one Navcomm with glideslope, and a no-frills, STEC30-equivalent autopilot. My curmudgeonly side still says that with a moving map or two one really doesn’t need an expensive HSI…

Wishful thinking, perhaps.

I heard we position holders may be receiving a letter from CD in the next couple of months asking us to commit one way or the other to the sr22 or sr20. If true, it’s interesting that CD would ask for the commitment so early. This would be consistent with a possible need to sell more higher-margin units to actually make money [imagine that! :-)].

I’ve heard that there will be a pleasant surprise(s) at AOPA this fall. Including certification & deliveries of the 22 by early next year. Based upon the comments here, the Usefull Load, speed, T/O and climb performance will also please. Prices whould be under $300K and the 22 will be well equipped: not an airplane priced or equipped for starter aircraft, but a real performer all the way around. Hopefully I will only have to wait the 14 months remaining on my SR20 contract to get one!

Thanks to all replying to my message, lets wait for AOPA meeting in October also to get confirmation that a position holder for a SR20 will be given the option to upgrade to a SR22 and keep the delivery date. Mine is late enough…#593

Jean Jacques

On fuel burn, a good comparison is the Bonanza A36. It sports a Continental IO/550, 300hp engine, the same basic platform as the SR22. The newest A36s, with the Raytheon Special Edition engine, trues at 179 knots at 75% power. Most Bonanza owners like to fly at lower settings . . . 23 inches/2300 rpm. That’s where I fly my 1994 A36. It’s a nice quiet setting. With it, you get something like 153 kias and 166 ktas at 6,000 feet. Running rich, you suck 15 to 16 gallons per hour. Running lean, about 12 to 13.

The A36 max gross is 3650 poounds. The SR22 looks like it will max gross around, what, 3200 pounds? Both are clean designs — which is cleaner, I have no idea, a retracted A36 or an SR22 with straight legs.

The bottom line is that the SR22 should go maybe 5+ knots faster than the A36 on the same fuel flow or slightly less.

Any way you slice it, the sr20 is a rather heavy plane for 200 hp to haul around. CD has done remarkably well to wring the kind of performance they do get out of a 2900 lb–soon to be 3050 or 3100 lb–airplane with only 200 hp. With tuned induction (I think?) and tuned exhaust the sr20’s engine probably delivers a larger portion of its “rated” hp than do other installations (Cardinal RG or Arrow for example) of 200 hp fuel-injected engines. Perhaps also some owners are having max rpm set to 2800 to capture an extra 10 hp?

Nonetheless it could certainly use an additional 25-30 hp, or perhaps a turbocharged 200 hp (diesel?) engine, to provide an extra performance margin for high/hot situations, not uncommon in the Western third of the U.S.

The 300 or 310 hp engine in the sr22 should make it a screamer, but watch out for those 16-18 gph fuel burns! Still, I have always been wryly amused by pilots who spend $180K+ on a new plane and then worry about an extra $2-3 per hour for fuel…:-)…Here’s to 75% power!

On fuel burn, a good comparison is the Bonanza A36. It sports a Continental IO/550, 300hp engine, the same basic platform as the SR22. The newest A36s, with the Raytheon Special Edition engine, trues at 179 knots at 75% power. Most Bonanza owners like to fly at lower settings . . . 23 inches/2300 rpm. That’s where I fly my 1994 A36. It’s a nice quiet setting. With it, you get something like 153 kias and 166 ktas at 6,000 feet. Running rich, you suck 15 to 16 gallons per hour. Running lean, about 12 to 13.

Good info Rich, but I suspect the SR22 to gross out at around 3400 pounds. At least I sure hope so.

The A36 max gross is 3650 poounds. The SR22 looks like it will max gross around, what, 3200 pounds? Both are clean designs — which is cleaner, I have no idea, a retracted A36 or an SR22 with straight legs.

The bottom line is that the SR22 should go maybe 5+ knots faster than the A36 on the same fuel flow or slightly less.