SR22..new #s

I guess the good news is I have a low # (0032), the question is how many sr20 placeholders will convert to the sr22 after the april announcement ?

Thoughts ?

I guess the good news is I have a low # (0032), the question is how many sr20 placeholders will convert to the sr22 after the april announcement ?

Thoughts ?

I will, providing the price increase is not absurdly out of proportion to the added value.

(Its the local 4000 foot ASL runways and 12000 foot mountains that make me interested - plus my wife and growing children have yet to figure out how to 'pack light ’ :wink:

how many sr20 placeholders will convert to the sr22 after the april announcement ?>

As mentioned below, I’ll probably be in the “sticking with the 20” camp, unless the price increase is proportionately less than the speed increase. My observation is that price generally increases faster than speed (because each increment in speed is harder to get), but we’ll see. JF

Thoughts ?

Unless the base price of the sr22 is in the relatively low 200s, like an sr20 C configuration or at most like a new Cessna 182, Tina & I will be sticking with the sr20. Especially with the gross weight increase, the sr20 is exactly the right airplane for our type of flying: weekend excursions and the once or twice per month short-medium cross-country (300-800 nm round trip).

While it would be great for flexibility and bragging rights to have the extra load and performance, we ourselves would rarely extract any tangible advantage from it: we don’t travel 1000+ nm one way more than once or twice per year, and with just two of us short folks plus a young child, the sr20 should be able to handle any of the density altitude situations we are likely to encounter on a regular basis. As I said before about the Columbia 300, for my needs I am unconvinced of the value of using 50% more fuel to go 20% faster. Especially with 100LL now edging close to $3/gallon around here!

I’ll be more than happy to mooch a joyride in someone else’s sr22, though.

All that being said, I hope CD will price the airplane aggressively and try to steal as many potential Mooney/Bonanza/Saratoga customers as possible. It would be nice to see the base plane equipped with a GNS530 and a UPS SL30 Nav/Comm, along with speed brakes or a substantially upped 50% flaps speed (140-150 KIAS?). In fact (digression) I would prefer the “A” or even “B” configuration of the sr20 with a good Nav/Comm in place of the GNC250XL or GNS420.

And maybe later, once my older son is out of college…

Kevin

Yeah, I’d like to see Cirrus “stretch” the SR 22 into a six-placer and thereby become the 21st century Bonanza.

RK

Thoughts ?

Thoughts ?

I will, providing the price increase is not absurdly out of proportion to the added value.

(Its the local 4000 foot ASL runways and 12000 foot mountains that make me interested - plus my wife and growing children have yet to figure out how to 'pack light ’ :wink:

I can tell you this…for what it’s worth…

a couple years back when the sr20’s debuted at 160k the sr22 was said to be going for 195k…

but that was then…don’t know what they would go for now…

Thoughts ?

My only regret with the SR20 is that it feels a bit underpowered for flight out here in the western USA. Most of my flights end up going over the Sierra or Cascade ranges, and altitude is a wonderful friend. I sold a Comanche 250 to make room for #158, which will arrive before the SR22 is ready. There is plenty to be thankful for, however, with the SR20’s rolling out of Duluth (OK, rolling is too vivid a term). The -22 will burn about 15 gph, rather than 10.5, yet will fetch only about 15% greater TAS. I really don’t mind burning less fuel–having flown my gas-hog PA-24 for about 400 hours. The hidden splendor of the SR20 may come at TBO time, when we have the option of replacing our IO-360’s with the new jet fuel burning engines from Continental. These are suppose to retain 100% of their 200 hp up to 12000 feet msl. The cirrus folks tell me they will “bolt on” to our firewalls in place of the IO-360. In conclusion: I’m taking my -20 without reason for regret, and will likely save a lot of money in the process. aa

how many sr20 placeholders will convert to the sr22 after the april announcement ?>

As mentioned below, I’ll probably be in the “sticking with the 20” camp, unless the price increase is proportionately less than the speed increase. My observation is that price generally increases faster than speed (because each increment in speed is harder to get), but we’ll see. JF

It is likely that this will be the case for the SR22, as Cirrus wants (and needs) better margins on the SR22, particularly while they deliver a whole slew of SR20s with very little profit at all (given the lower prices and the fact that the inflation adjuster stopped at the original projected delivery date). My guess is that we’ll be seeing another bump in the SR20 price as the production ramps up (as it’s way too nice of an airplane for its price. Hmm, I can’t believe I said that.)