SR20 or SR22 ??

For the same price, should I buy an older SR22 or a newer SR20??

I’m a new pilot (about to take my check ride) with less than 100 hours, but my dream plane is a Cirrus. Unfortuntely, I can’t afford a new one.

So, if you only had $350,000 to spend, would you get an older 20 or a less-older 22?

Youre going to get an overwhelming vote for the 22 on this site, but if your mission is mostly flying for fun, shorter flights, and you plan to stay out of the ice, I’d consider a 20…

90% of my flights are under 225 nm and I enjoy the lower cost of the 20…

YMMV

Disclaimer: I shop for 22’s almost daily… I just haven’t found the upgrade I can justify… YET.

Edited to add:

my 20 has 915lbs useful and cruises at 150kts at 9 or 10000 feet on 8.9 to 9.3 gph.

1 Like

First step = join COPA, then you can begin your research. The answer to your question will depend on your mission and has been discussed many, many times here. To grossly over-simplify, the 20 is generally fast enough, but climb and useful weight-limited compared to the 22. I chose an NA 22 (G2) in order to have occasional passengers and range and/or be able to meet IFR climb requirements here in the southwest (as well as climb out of higher density altitude without needing to go turbo). The 20 didn’t fit my mission in those respects. Good luck on your journey!

I agree with the posters above. If your mission can be accomplished with a SR20, they’re great airplanes and cost (relatively) less to maintain, insure and operate. Also, they hold their value about the same as SR22’s, so you can have the peace of mind that, if your mission changes, you’ll be able to get out of the SR20 without a huge loss.

No question a 22.

You dont need to buy a 20 in order to transition into a 22; Just rent one for 10 hrs with a CFI while you shop and that will be enough. The CFI time will count towards your 20hr insurance requirements.

The power difference will be completely evident on hot days, climbing at alt, go arounds, MTOW etc.

I would suggest a nice G1 SR22. Save the rest in a war chest for upgrades and customization.

I was shopping for a 20 and was encouraged to get a 22. I’m glad that I did.

If it is for training or mostly local flights, you might be happy with the 20, but personally, I’d recommend an older 22 over a newer 20 for the same price.

Good luck with your search.

For $350K you can get a 2008/2009 SR 22 GTS fully loaded with Perspective! That’s a lot of plane for the money, and IMHO, much better than a newer 20 which really gives you nothing more but perhaps nicer paint. Just Make sure you get good training with either plane and make sure you are comfortable with whatever you buy. It’s easy to outgrow a 20, once you have a 22 there is really nowhere else to go but a turbine which most of us won’t go there since the cost is astronomical.

depends if 350k is his out the door price; Lets not forget most states have use tax or sales tax. So thats almost a extra 25k in taxes (for NJ); Then another $1500 for inspections; If he is financing then there will be closing costs. etc etc etc.

Honesty,

You buy what you can afford and what delivers value for your mission. There are six times as many 22s as there are 20s. I happen to own both and I like them both for different reasons. But you don’t need to spend $350,000 to get something that will do the job for a lot less.

I echo the above. Also depends if you think you might need or want a turbocharged airplane for your missions especially for traveling or hot/high scenarios. Need a 22 TN or T for that. Your budget will get a G2 or G3 TN also. Another consideration - if you have your PPL when you buy any Cirrus you get the factory-paid Embark training which is a tremendous value. So get the PPL knocked out and then go shopping!

I get my IFR in my 2007 G3 Avidyne TN and it was a great platform for it.

You have enough opinions offered. I’ll only add that whatever you buy, make sure you have at least $35k, $50k, or $80k left for the 20, 22, 22TN. It doesn’t matter how many hours are on the engine, or what shape the plane is in, unexpected expenses are a part of ownership.

Many pilots get discouraged by biting off too much.

Dan…

Lots of good information for you to consider within the thread…here’s my 2 cents.

I’ve had two G1 20’s, loved them and fit my mission except; my summer home airport has grass runways, a little short perhaps but usable. In the summer months with a heavier fuel load, pilot and passenger aboard and warmer temperatures the takeoff performance left something to be desired. Horsepower solved the problem for me.

mb