I am an sr20 placeholder with scheduled delivery June 2002. I missed the option for switching to the 22 when it was sent out, but am still considering it. I would appreciate hearing some discussion on the pros and cons. Money is an object with me since it will already be a stretcheven to get the SR20 after I sell my 1991 Tiger. However I do not want to be penny wise/pound foolish in terms of eventual resale value should the day come that i can no longer fly (not getting any younger).
I had planned to purchase the C package and get the leather and possibly the 3 blade prop. Some of this is standard in the 22 so as I see it the price jump would be around $63K
On the other hand, by the time my number is ready who knows what the standard configutations, useful loads etc will be.
What to do???
I too faced the same dilemma that you are currently facing,(money, me getting “longer-in-the tooth” + figuring this will be my only new airplane as an exclusive owner). At the time the upgrade offer originally came from Cirrus, I had not yet had my intro flight. Also at the time there was alot of talk on this site of the intended mission of the plane which is a very logical way of deciding which plane to get. Economics, useful load, hanger door width, are some of the considerations that have been discussed here. For me it was take-off run. Even though the turf strip at our fly-in community is in very good condition the takeoff run on the SR20 was long enough to make it just useable in all but perfect (i.e. dry conditions) if anywhere near gross wt. When the empty wt crept up it would mean that most takeoffs would be in the upper end of the current load range. The anticipated usefull load increase would not really do any good to shorten the takeoff roll.
A demo flight out of my home base confirmed my suspicions. I initially rationalized away my concerns about the high pucker factor on takeoffs but in the end I decided to listen to my belly. I have found in times past that you head can get you into trouble if you discount your belly (that gut feeling).
You can still upgrade at the same offered price you just have to get at the end of the line.
Another option is to deal on the open market but unless you can get a refund from Cirrus my guess is that as production increases and wait times lessen it will be harder to sell your SR20 position for enough over list to make up for the deal that Cirrus is offering to upgrade.
If you are willing to trade the “A” config. on the SR22 with its increase in performance for the “C” on the SR20 the price difference is a little closer (rationalizing again).
Which ever way, they are both outstanding airplanes and I for one fell blessed to be in a position to have to make such a decision between them.
Regards, M. Myers