SR20 Position Consideration

I’m considering the purchase of an SR20. My current understanding is that I would not be able to take delievery until 2002 or perhaps 2003. This of course will be driven by the number of current position holders that for what ever reason may be unable to finance or transfer their position. And the actual number of aircraft Cirrus can produce per month.

We all are aware that nothing (at this time) on the market (for the money) comes close to the SR20.

It is fast & from what I understand very efficient.

Here are my questions:

(1). Do you think for a low time, non-instrument rated pilot (~400 hours)that this airplane would be a good choice? why or why not?
(2). Is it as easy to fly (and land) as reported?

(3). Any advice that you might have concerning the contractual requirements with Cirrus.

(4). Does Cirrus kept current position holders up to-date on production issues, delivery dates, etc.

Thank you in advance for you assistance!

(1). Do you think for a low time, non-instrument rated pilot (~400 hours)that this airplane would be a good choice?

Absolutely. 400 hours is not such a low time, but in any case, from all reports, the SR20 is very easy to fly. Some people have said getting the landings nailed was harder, but you can say that about a 172 (I’m forever seeing 172s land flat). I suspect the SR20 would not make a good primary trainer (too fast, and too easy to handle).

(4). Does Cirrus kept current position holders up to-date on production issues, delivery dates, etc.

IMHO, they could do better. They put out a newsletter every quarter or so. Part of the problem until now has been that their forecasts for delivery dates were optimistic. They now seem to be taking a more conservative approach, which is good. I’d like to see them be more pro-active with conveying information about upcoming issues, like the avionics upgrade recently announced, but failing that, monitor this forum for rumors.

There is certainly no better value to be had in a light single right now.