more...

oh, and i’d look to buy a used sr20 since i see cirrus in not producing them anymore.

Anyway, please, send me your thoughts!!!

oh, and i’d look to buy a used sr20 since i see cirrus in not producing them anymore.

Rob, the SR20 is a great aircraft. Even though the situational awarness is without a doubt the best GA has to offer. Safty is what, I believe, makes the SR20 and 22 stand apart. The parachute as a last resort adds peice of mind to pilot and passenger. But as a primary trainer, I’m not so sure. It is a very fast, “clean” aircraft. Go ahead and put your money down for a SR20 {the company resumes production in August} or a SR22, get some time in that friendly 172. Build some hours in a Grummin Tiger if you can. Then you will be able to really enjoy your Cirrus. MIKE #396

If you love your airplane don’t put it on leaseback unless it’s likely to be flown by experienced or even professional (charter) pilots. The potential for abuse is very high; nonowners just don’t take the same care of a plane as the owner would, it’s human nature.

On the other hand if you have a more detached perspective–many pilots do and there’s nothing wrong with it–and can view your airplane more like a piece of rental equipment in which you have invested and enjoy flying now and then, then it could work out well for you. Just don’t expect it to be handled with the same TLC that it would get from you as sole owner.

One of the reasons I bought my own plane was that I tired of seeing flying club aircraft age so quickly, and was increasingly concerned about the safety of planes that had been flown by indifferent rental pilots, to the point that I was reluctant to carry my wife and toddler as passengers. At least for me personally it is hard to put a price on the peace of mind that comes with knowing exactly how the plane has been treated and maintained.

I’ll take the other approach. If you want to fly a SR20 then by all means learn to fly in it. I have given lots of IFR instruction in fast retracts and multis and the people who have the most trouble are those who have lots of time in low power/high drag aircraft (e.g. your typical training airplanes). Those who move up to the faster stuff early in their training are much more comfortable. If from day one you get used to higher performance it isn’t a big deal. Conversely if you acculumate lots of hours at 100-110 kts you become comfortable with everything happening very slowly. Then when you suddenly move into a 150+ knot airplane it overwhelms. The same with landings. If you’re used to coming down final at 55-60 kts it’s disconcerting to do it at 80. If you learn at 80 it’s easy.

In my opinion 500 hours in a 150, 172 or PA28 may make you a great 150, 172 or PA28 driver, but you’re no more ready to move up than you were at 25 hours. I know lots of people will disagree, but with a good instructor you can easily start in a SR20 and get quite competent with only a little more effort than starting in a 150. Look at the military. They start people in turbines.

Go for it!

J. Seckler SR22 #63

Rob, the SR20 is a great aircraft. Even though the situational awarness is without a doubt the best GA has to offer. Safty is what, I believe, makes the SR20 and 22 stand apart. The parachute as a last resort adds peice of mind to pilot and passenger. But as a primary trainer, I’m not so sure. It is a very fast, “clean” aircraft. Go ahead and put your money down for a SR20 {the company resumes production in August} or a SR22, get some time in that friendly 172. Build some hours in a Grummin Tiger if you can. Then you will be able to really enjoy your Cirrus. MIKE #396

Well said. Learning to fly in a Cirrus, it’s never seemed anything other than easy to me. Sometimes I feel guilty, like it’s supposed to be more difficult. Then I realize I’m just fortunate—and safer. Weather, traffic, ATC are all still needing of constant attention, but that’s true in any plane isn’t it?

I’ll take the other approach. If you want to fly a SR20 then by all means learn to fly in it. I have given lots of IFR instruction in fast retracts and multis and the people who have the most trouble are those who have lots of time in low power/high drag aircraft (e.g. your typical training airplanes). Those who move up to the faster stuff early in their training are much more comfortable. If from day one you get used to higher performance it isn’t a big deal. Conversely if you acculumate lots of hours at 100-110 kts you become comfortable with everything happening very slowly. Then when you suddenly move into a 150+ knot airplane it overwhelms. The same with landings. If you’re used to coming down final at 55-60 kts it’s disconcerting to do it at 80. If you learn at 80 it’s easy.

In my opinion 500 hours in a 150, 172 or PA28 may make you a great 150, 172 or PA28 driver, but you’re no more ready to move up than you were at 25 hours. I know lots of people will disagree, but with a good instructor you can easily start in a SR20 and get quite competent with only a little more effort than starting in a 150. Look at the military. They start people in turbines.

Go for it!

J. Seckler SR22 #63

Jerrold makes some good points. If you decide to learn in the SR20, I recommend you find a CFI who has taught students “from the ground up” in faster aircraft before.

Another practical matter is insurance–it might be difficult to find insurance for an SR20 at a less than breathtaking premium for a student pilot these days.

If you want to get started before taking delivery of your beautiful Cirrus, I think the Grumman Tiger would be an excellent choice. In almost all aspects, save 15-20 kt cruise speed–it is a “near SR20 experience.” Ground handling, takeoff and landing technique, V speeds, and sight picture are all very similar. The Tiger too is a really fun plane to fly.

Kevin,

Very appropriate comments since I also intend to put my wife, toddler, and as yet to be delivered second child in our SR22. I have been wanting to ask someone traveling with children what their experiences are with the use of a children’s seat and the belt arrangement in the Cirrus.
Can you tell me if the shoulder straps allow proper securement of a child’s seat with the lap belts?

Thanks,

Greg

If you love your airplane don’t put it on leaseback unless it’s likely to be flown by experienced or even professional (charter) pilots. The potential for abuse is very high; nonowners just don’t take the same care of a plane as the owner would, it’s human nature.

On the other hand if you have a more detached perspective–many pilots do and there’s nothing wrong with it–and can view your airplane more like a piece of rental equipment in which you have invested and enjoy flying now and then, then it could work out well for you. Just don’t expect it to be handled with the same TLC that it would get from you as sole owner.

One of the reasons I bought my own plane was that I tired of seeing flying club aircraft age so quickly, and was increasingly concerned about the safety of planes that had been flown by indifferent rental pilots, to the point that I was reluctant to carry my wife and toddler as passengers. At least for me personally it is hard to put a price on the peace of mind that comes with knowing exactly how the plane has been treated and maintained.

Kevin speaks with much wisdom. An additional thought re the financial aspects of leasebacks may be helpful.

I’m a retired CPA who had clients on both sides of leaseback transactions. An investment in a leaseback aircraft typically will not make you much money, if any at all. Most have justified the deals by the ready availability they have to use the aircraft on terms that are usually more flexible and favorable than those available to non-owning renters.

But if you’re looking to make money, you will probably do better with a passbook savings account, unless you fall into a fortunate lease arangement. But a “fortunate arrangement” means the flight hours will probably be rather high, which will cost you at resale time. No easy answers here.

Good luck, my friend.

Pete

Kevin,

Very appropriate comments since I also intend to put my wife, toddler, and as yet to be delivered second child in our SR22. I have been wanting to ask someone traveling with children what their experiences are with the use of a children’s seat and the belt arrangement in the Cirrus.
Can you tell me if the shoulder straps allow proper securement of a child’s seat with the lap belts?

Thanks,

Greg

I don’t own a Cirrus (someday!) but rather another type at present.

As I have several friends who are Cirrus drivers I have had the chance to install and remove a child safety seat from the back seat of an SR20 on two occasions. It was awkward but doable. It probably would be easier if one did it from in back of the seat, i.e., by first crawling into the luggage compartment! I recommend you install the safety seats and don’t remove them unless you REALLY need to do so.

I’m sure several other owners can contribute their perspectives too.