selecting a 20 or a 22 to buy

I have approx 300 hrs and hold an instrument ticket, though have very limited instrument flying. The extent of my flying has been Piper Cherokees and Cessna 172s. IÂ’m considering buying a Cirrus and need help deciding between the 20 and the 22. I do not want to purchase a new plane. I plan to fly 75+ hrs/yr and thus will have partners. I am learning GPS now. My flying is based in Florida, and will be mildly extended into the southeast U.S. IÂ’m leaning toward the 20 due its limited hp/speed. Any and all comments are appreciated

Bruce,

Lots of information in the Members area. Worth joining if you’re serious.

Short of that, download the SR20 and the SR22 manuals and compare performance. Then decide if the extra performance is worth the extra cost. It was for me.

If you can make it down to S FL, love to chat one day. email fasteddieb@aol.com if you’re interested.

Bruce,
From the mission requirements you describe, it seems like the SR20 would suit your needs just fine. Whatever model you pick, just be sure to get comprehensive transition training and fly enough to stay proficient. Regular recurrent training is always a great idea as well.
The number one killer of pilots is pilots, so along with good training, a constant realistic assessment of the flight environment relative to your own piloting skills is a must for “safe” flight. (I put the quotation marks around the word safe because all flights contain a certain level of risk, but safety conscious pilots manage that risk much better than pilots who discount it.) Since you are already questioning the extra horsepower and speed of the SR22, I think you have the right mindset. I don’t think either of those factors are showstoppers in picking the SR22 over an SR20, but the ’22 can certainly get you into trouble a bit faster if you are not on the ball with things. On the other hand, the extra horsepower of the ’22 which translates to better runway and climb performance can be a safety advantage as well.

The bottom line is that either one of these aircraft can be operated safely by a reasonably skilled pilot, and two keys to maintaining that safety are good training and attitude—just like operating any other aircraft out there. Hopefully, some of our members who have made the lower-time jump that you are considering will lend some more specific advice on how they made the transition.

Cirrus is a great company, and they make great aircraft, so I encourage you to stay on the track you are considering. I have 1,000+ hours now in SR22Â’s and I still routinely find myself with a dumb grin on my face when I am anywhere near 4AG, let alone when I’m flying it. [:)]

What a speed junkie you are! [;)]

In reply to:

Bruce,
Lots of information in the Members area. Worth joining if you’re serious.
Short of that, download the SR20 and the SR22 manuals and compare performance. Then decide if the extra performance is worth the extra cost. It was for me.
If you can make it down to S FL, love to chat one day. email fasteddieb@aol.com if you’re interested.

Thank you too for your comment. I have more on my mind in the form of safety and comfort level. Fortunately, money is secondary. After all, if someone is considering this type of plane, what’s a few thousand dollars more?? I may take you up on your offerr for a chat in person-after all you’re not too far, even if I only get to you at 135 kias.

In reply to:

Bruce,
From the mission requirements you describe, it seems like the SR20 would suit your needs just fine. Whatever model you pick, just be sure to get comprehensive transition training and fly enough to stay proficient. Regular recurrent training is always a great idea as well.
The number one killer of pilots is pilots, so along with good training, a constant realistic assessment of the flight environment relative to your own piloting skills is a must for “safe” flight. (I put the quotation marks around the word safe because all flights contain a certain level of risk, but safety conscious pilots manage that risk much better than pilots who discount it.) Since you are already questioning the extra horsepower and speed of the SR22, I think you have the right mindset. I don’t think either of those factors are showstoppers in picking the SR22 over an SR20, but the ’22 can certainly get you into trouble a bit faster if you are not on the ball with things. On the other hand, the extra horsepower of the ’22 which translates to better runway and climb performance can be a safety advantage as well.
The bottom line is that either one of these aircraft can be operated safely by a reasonably skilled pilot, and two keys to maintaining that safety are good training and attitude—just like operating any other aircraft out there. Hopefully, some of our members who have made the lower-time jump that you are considering will lend some more specific advice on how they made the transition.
Cirrus is a great company, and they make great aircraft, so I encourage you to stay on the track you are considering. I have 1,000+ hours now in SR22Â’s and I still routinely find myself with a dumb grin on my face when I am anywhere near 4AG, let alone when I’m flying it.

Andy,
Many thanks for your detailed comments. I know I am well trained, and also believe I have the right attitude. I take this business of flying several thousand feet up in the sky very seriously. I insist, for myself, on recurrent training. It’s not enough to be current; one (I) have to be proficient!! I’m not into speed, yet, as i have to “master” the environment. So, I guess I’m taking these things to heart, and will enjoy the confort of a “slower” plane, which is already faster than what I have normally flown. Rome wasn’t built in a day. Thank you again!!!

In reply to:

Many thanks for your detailed comments.

Bruce,

You’re very welcome! [:)] It sounds like you have the proper attitude to give you many happy years with whatever airplane you choose.

Bruce,

A plane is only as safe as it’s pilot. Still, some planes are can be safer than others.

I think the SR22 has the “potential” to be safer than an SR20, in that it’s ROC can get it over/away from terrain, through possible (unforecast) ice, above buildups, etc. much quicker than an SR20.

Even with TKS, flight in known icing is illegal and unwise. Still, if the clouds over my N GA house are a couple thousand feet thick and at or near freezing, I feel a lot better about “punching through” the clouds in a minute or so compared to maybe 4+ minutes in an SR20.

An SR20 can clearly be a very safe plane, but has limits which have to be respected (as do all planes).

If money is no object, I can’t imagine NOT selecting an SR22.