SR-22 Purchase?? HELP!!

Hi All- I am looking for help in the form of links, articles, etc on what to consider when purchasing an SR-22. There is one near me for sale with low time but I’m not quite sure what to look for and figured I would reach out to the experts.

My reasons for a purchase: easy access to ski resorts, Cabo and frequent golf trips. Driving in SoCal really stinks. I have an ATP and B-737 type with over 2800 military hours in the F-14, C-2, C-40 and T-45. My flying career begin flying Cessna aircraft out of KADS in Dallas. I have about 250 hours in private aircraft.

I flew a Cirrus recently and it seemed like the perfect fit. Here’s the problem: I am NOT an experienced pilot in the private aviation world. So I need some direction on what to look for and how to go about making the correct purchase. I’m not interested in a partnership and am looking for a plane I can get places quickly. I would enjoy any comments, concerns or friendly ‘motherhood’.

Thank you in adVance.

Ryan,

Congratulations on your decision - welcome to COPA.

First, I would recommend that you spend some time poking around on this site - and learn the differences in the different models. Under the “TECH” section, you will find some information about some of the different models.

There are also some articles concerning PRE-BUY. It is almost universally recommended that you engage the services of SAVVY for your pre-buy - it will pay for itself.

Once you find the correct plan, and agree to purchase, please consider some time with a CSIP to get the transition training - while you have lots of flying experience, there are of course, nuances that you will want to know about in your Cirrus.

You will find this is a very active and helpful place… ask your questions, use the search function - and enjoy.

Welcome to the group!

Regards

-J-

Agreed, but that means he’ll need to re-join COPA, as his membership has lapsed. There is virtually nothing on the “guest” side, but there’s a torrent of stuff on the “member” side!

1 Like

Ryan,

I just bought a G1 2003 SR22 with one other partner in February of this year. First off, a guy with a wealth of knowledge of all generations of Cirrus aircraft is Ross Robillard at Midwest Aircraft Refinishing, Hibbing, MN. GOOGLE him and get to know him. He knows his stuff.

We absolutely love the airplane. I would never go back to Pipers or Cessna’s after putting 100 hours on my Cirrus since February.

in my opinion - no more mission capable aircraft in GA. I haven’t cancelled a trip due to weather or maintenance since we bought it.

that said, GA airplanes break. You will have trouble with the generally substandard quality control in the industry, and you will miss things on a pre buy inspection. Get through that (like I think we finally are) and settle in for a fantastic flying and owning experience.

i live in Sioux Falls, SD and have had the airplane to St Louis, Nashville, Omaha, Ft Myers, Ft Lauderdale, Scottsdale, Spearfish, and a bunch of small towns since February …going to New York with it tomorrow. Dallas and Denver within the month.

highly capable cross country aircraft.

go for it!

jason

Thank you for your input. I certainly plan to get Cirrus and avionics specific training before taking any plane up solo. My questions are more concerned with making sure I am purchasing the aircraft at the proper price point. And that I understand all of the associated costs with GA aircraft ownership. I know some of this will be specific to San Diego (hangar space, fuel, etc) but I need to know what are the right questions to ask when purchasing this aircraft.

Thank you for the input!

Ryan thank you for your service!

You’ve asked a broad question here, and a little more specificity will lead to more focused answers.

The big branches of the decision tree are budget, naturally aspirated or turbo charged/normalized and, to a lesser degree, avionics. There a four generations of SR22s, with some variances within each. The G1 airplanes are fantastic values to buy, the fastest of the NAs and offer the highest useful load if that’s an issue for you. Early examples are 6 pack planes, and with your experience you’ll feel right at home. Many G1s have Avidyne PFDs, dual Garmin 430s and a decent enough AP. Buying one of these will require a very thorough review of what will likely be thick MX logs.

The G2 got a arguably better fuselage, as it is constructed with precision molds and resulted in better shaping and less variance. Late G2s saw the intro of the aftermarket turbo normalizing option, and the logs will reflect some teething pains.

The G3 added precision molded wings, taller gear, and the greatest number of airframe improvements along with the brilliant Garmin G1000 panel (Perspective). Probably the sweet spot in Cirrus production.

When time came for a G4, the Chinese had bought Cirrus, and 4 is an unlucky number so they jumped to G5. 200 pound max weight increase thanks to a bigger chute, better flap utility and 3 seats across in the back are the big changes. Turbos have moved away from the normalized aftermarket units to factory true turbo installation.

So there’s your very broad overview. Generally, buying the nicest example you can find will bring the most pleasure. Like all man made machines, some Cirri are reliable and relatively trouble free, while others seem jinxed. Looking at your resume I’d say your big challenge will be the amount of owner involvement required in MX. There are a lot of choices to make, and you will hear many opinions. Many use a third party to advise on MX like Savvy; just remember they earn their fees by managing costs largely, and that may not be your MX philosophy. The big complicating factor is the often poor quality of MX work out there that brings an inordinate amount of MX induced failure to the process that might otherwise seem clear.

Not all G3s have Perspective. Through about June of 2008 they were Avidyne, some of which have been upgraded to R9.

The best bargain out there is an R9 updated plane (one where you don’t have to do the R9 install). Virtually little to no premium in price when compared to the used prices of original factory Avidyne setup SR22s. Unfortunately the market has spoken as to the value of R9 on resale for those who expect to get anything back, but it is a great avionics setup.

Welcome to COPA!

You might want to engage a broker. I highly recommend Steve Schwartz with TAS Aircraft Sales. He knows the market and will help you with your search.

Use Savvymx for the pre purchase. They will examine the logs before the plane goes in for the pre purchase. No need starting a pre purchase if the logs show abuse.

Good Luck!

But they all have 92 gallons usable fuel, as opposed to 81 gallons in the G1’s and G2’s. Helps especially in the Turbo.

I had a terrific experience with Steve Schwartz at TAS when I moved from an SR20 to a 22.

Andy

Ryan,

Welcome to flying the Cirrus. You are going to love it. There are quite a few former naval aviators and Air Force pilots flying Cirri now.

cheerio!

“Ham”

Hi Ryan, I’m a CSIP pilot and owner/aviation brokerage at Sunset Aviation Insurance Services. I would be happy to get you a quote for the SR22 insurance. Let me know. Thanks Ben Peterson

I am in the early steps of shopping for a 22 (as in I would like to buy within a year.)

One really tempting option are those really well maintained and low time six-pack models. As I am training in a dual panel Avidyne SR20, however, I think this would be both a learning curve and a step back I don’t want to take.

What are your thoughts on the Aspen panel upgrades out there? A six-pack + an Aspen EFD could potentially still be a real bargain and give me a more familiar cockpit to grow in.

CJS

Hi

call me I am buying a Cirrus SR22 at

Van nuys, with Hangar

Richard

323 240 9080

Hi

Where do you live?

Richard

I am buying a SR22

Chris,

I bought a 6 pack 22 and it has served me very well. Frankly there is nothing flying wise a glass panel can do that a 6 pack cannot. And they are cheap. Whats not to like. If you can afford more plane do so, but I don’t apologize for for staying with the 6 pack. It is economical and effective. Less sexy, but rock solid.

Lake Mary, FL. I am training and will be flying out of KSFB.

I agree with you 100% for VFR flight. I feel that when flying instruments, however, the glass really begins to shine. The 6 packs are the best deal in the sky- hands down. My real intention here would be to add in an Aspen after market panel and win-win.

Good win win and if you have a limited budget but want glass that is a reasonable way to get there.

Those 6 pack Cirrus are so much better equipped than the rest of the fleet (other than other newer Cirri) they are hardly a VFR only bird. I find it is more of a want to have than a need to have. In my case I fly in the southwest where we don’t get a lot of IFR but even if I did I wouldn’t do an upgrade until something makes me. If something fails rather than spend money on fixing it that is when I will pull the trigger on Aspens or something similar.

Glass has not improved safety statistically, if it did I would feel differently. Good luck on whatever you end up with.