Considering SR22

Hi All - Newbie here,

I am considering an SR22 and wanted to see if it would fit my mission.
Budget of 175 to 250K
I will be based in Wyoming at 46U - 5600’ - 5800’ runway with surrounding mountains at 13K.
I will be doing about 6 trips per year to Charlotte NC for business. 1700 sm.
Wife and dog. -330lbs of mammals plus some luggage.
Many shorter trips east and west for pleasure.
Approx. 150 hrs. per year.

I know Turbo would be ideal but don’t think the wife (and Dog) will be crazy about life in the flight levels.
Wondering how a NA SR22 will perform at summer DAs of 10,000 + -

I have a ultimate goal of getting into a Malibu, but need a incremental plane to get IFR and gain some more flight time.
First thing after transition training will be IFR rating.
I also think I may find I like the SR22 enough to stay there.
If I do move up, I am wondering how well the older 22s are holding value these days.
I don’t want to loose too much if I upgrade in a year.
Before I get jumped on, I know an aircraft is not an investment!
Just would like to keep expenses under control. I hope to purchase a plane that will hold is value best, not deprecate significantly.

Most in my budget are also up for Chute repacks this year.
Are the G1 22 the same as the G1 20s and need to have fiberglass cut to repack the chute?
What is approximate cost of Repack?

Any input on fitting my mission or holding value for a year would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Bob,

Forum rules require the use of your full name.

In terms of your questions these have been discussed multiple times on the member side. Very few people spend any time on the Guest Forum

If you join COPA you can search the Forums to numerous posts that answer your questions and you can partake of a humongous body of Cirrus knowledge.

Hi Bob! Welcome to COPA!!

I see you joined, would you like this post moved to the Cirrus Flying category, or do you plan to create a new post?

I’m a flat lander but I have heard that the Turbo is much better in the mountains than the NA, even if you do not plan to fly in the flight levels. I often fly at 14,000 ft but those last 2,000 feet in the summer are are slow. The Turbo will get you there quicker.

Yes, you will need to have the fiberglass re-done on a G1. I have heard that repacks for G1s right now are in the $20k range while G2s are in the $14-17k range.

Good luck!

I live in Texas and I flew my SR22 NA to some mountain destinations this summer (Jackson, Cody, Truckee) and had no issues. That being said, the climb above 12k is slow in the summer and there were a few times where I had to circle to gain altitude. I also didn’t have the climb performance required for some ODPs and Approachs, so my ability to fly IFR would have been limited beyond doing a VCOA and/or Visual approach. As a result, if I could have had a turbo, I would have.

1 Like

Not seeing that…

Owned a turbo for 4 years and only went above 18,000 twice, briefly, and never above FL 190. Especially where you live, your wife will likely be a lot more comfortable at 16,000-18,000 ride-wise. Using the O2D2 and boom cannula makes O2 easy and comfortable. But you can read all about the pros and cons in the million+ posts on the Member side when you join COPA. There are even many threads about dogs in turbos that will answer questions you may have.

1 Like

Perhaps I misunderstood - " Posted 8 hours ago

Joined 9 hours ago

Read 9m"

AFAIK, “Joined” means he signed up with a log-in account and can access the Guest forum but that does not mean he’s a COPA member with access to the massive Forum content. Look at member posts and the detail when you click on someone’s photo. If you don’t see “COPA Member,” they’re not.

There may be a little lag between joining COPA and seeing that updated.

1 Like

Bob,

I also live at 46U, during the summer, Tampa in the winter.

We too are looking for an SR-22.

DAs at 46U rarely get above 10,000’, on warm days you’ll see 8,500’. Even in August, flying in the morning is more advantageous.

Butch

Hi Butch,

Thanks for your reply.
We are in the Hangers at the Refuge. Planning on coming out June 1.
We spent most of August out there last year and saw at least on afternoon with DA of 10000.
Good to know that is not normal.
I hope you don’t mind, I have reached out to Lynn F for your contact information.

Bob

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the reply.

We own hangar 6, and the mountain modern home at 757 Alpine Village Loop.

We have an AirCam and a 310, but may be selling the 310 before we head out west.

Kind of looking forward a Cirrus, but prices are crazy right now.

See you soon.

Butch

:+1: :+1:

For your area you are pretty much looking at something supercharged.

1 Like

This is pretty much what you need.

1 Like

I bought a Turbo -not- for flying above 180, but because it pretty much eliminates performance problems due to high density altitudes here in AZ.

I can carry a full 3400 out of Flagstaff (7000 MSL) at any temperature you’d find here in the summer…90 is about the max, but that produces a DA over 10,000 ft.

And the airplane really sings at 16,500 in cruise…

3 Likes

My comment concerns the dog at altitude. You will find this to be a controversial topic largely, I think for two reasons. Dogs can’t directly express distress (there are signs but those signs can have other causes) and there haven’t been studies on the topic. Maybe a third reason is breeds seem to vary in their capacity to handle altitude.

I posted a few months ago some back of the envelope calcs that I used to determine the appropriate flow rate and duration for the vented enclosure we place our Tibetan Terrier in for our monthly flights to Granby, CO from northern cal. Whether those calcs were proper (they were designed to produce a 30% oxygen level so oxygenation at 18K would be roughly equivalent to 8K - Granby’s elevation - at 20%) I can tell you that our dog has shown zero sign of stress at 18K over what have been at least a dozen flights. You can find soft sided enclosures with oxygen entry points on veterinary medicine websites. This same dog showed signs of stress while briefly at 11K when outside an enclosure.

I second the opinion on the comfort of an oxygen boom, particularly if paired with an on-demand regulator. I used to hate sucking on oxygen. My nose got sore within an hour. A boom and flow only when inhaling makes it a non-issue.

1 Like

Thanks so much for all the replies!

Robert - great info for my pup.
Alexander - Supercharger is very interesting. Good to know it available at a reasonable cost.

Getting very serious about my search!