SR-20 rentback with flying club

I’m considering buying an SR-20 and renting it back to my flying club. I have a partnership in an A-36, so ownership is not new to me - rentback and Cirrus are new.

Have others experienced a rentback with a flying club ? Compared with other aircraft (C172SP, C182T, etc), is an SR-20 a good rental ?

Target rental audience would be those who want faster cross-country aircraft, and those advancing IFR flying. So, they’d be somewhat experienced pilots, but the aircraft would still have to weather the rental user.

This is in Northen California, if that matters.

Thanks for the input.

• Anup

I rent Cirrus SR20 and SR22 out of West Valley Flying CLub (650-856-2030) at PAO, SQL, and HWD. If “Northern CA” means the Bay Area, I think the club could certainly use another SR20.

The planes seem to get decent flight time, although less than the less expensive trainers (e.g. 172SP).

On the whole I believe the planes are treated well by the renters. They have been in good cosmetic shape–1 or 2 occasional exceptions–when I have rented them. There have been a few tailstrike, 2 birdstrike, and one nosewheel prang/propstrike incidents in the past ~1.5 year since they’ve had Cirri on the flightline. The birdstrikes are recent, the other stuff was mostly in the early period (1st 6-8 months after their introduction to WVFC) when both CFIs and renters were cutting their teeth in the new planes.

If your new airplane is to be your “pride and joy,” you may want to think twice about leaseback for rental. I guarantee you that the renters, while mostly careful and prudent, will NOT treat it as if it were THEIR pride and joy. The attitude most conducive to sustained mental health is to view it as a piece of rental equipment. With this mindset you won’t be disappointed, and may often be pleasantly surprised!

I’ve been considering doing the same thing here. My club has 2 SR20 rentals (neither with PFD) that seem to be pretty busy (we’ve had a great VFR winter here in Seattle). The way I read it, there are an abundance of 22s–it seems a very high proportion of new purchases are 22s.

I’m currently doing my training in rented 20s, and have made a few outings in 22s. My math and gut tell me that the 20 dominates the 22 as a rental–it rents cheaper and the flying experience is the same. For serious trips, the extra speed of the 22 compensates somewhat for the rental rate and gives a slight edge in practical payload.

The owner of my club says the Cirrus in general has finally hit as a popular rental as more instructors and renters are checked out in it. That may be good sales BS to induce me to plunk down on one to lease back to his club…

As a rental purchase, I’ve been looking at late model pre-owned. There are a few out there with the PFD which would probably rent well.

Your only problem may be INSURANCE. It appears a growing practice by Insurance companies to require the Cirrus transition training to be covered. I tried to add my Instructor (1600+ hours with 250 all glass time - airline jet time too) and they would not allow him without going through the training. Good luck

From what I can tell, the accidents like tail strikes can be quite expensive. Prop strikes, of course, require an engine rebuild.

I don’t know what a bird-strike means on a Cirrus. I had one in a C172 during my student days. Other than filing with the FAA via the tower (my CFI did that) and having the club A&P do a visual inspection, we were done.

Does one have to go through different steps for a composite aircraft vs aluminium skin ?

In reply to:

Your only problem may be INSURANCE. It appears a growing practice by Insurance companies to require the Cirrus transition training to be covered. I tried to add my Instructor (1600+ hours with 250 all glass time - airline jet time too) and they would not allow him without going through the training. Good luck

There is at least one insurer who is considering changing that policy. Based on my own experience, that would be a good thing. Nothing wrong with Cirrus or the instructor, but the transition course while pretty typical for transition to the plane itself (other than the “scenerio based instruction” twist) - it was sadly lacking adequate instructional material on the advanced avionics. There was nothing in the transition course that any flight instructor with 5 hours in a Cirrus could not have covered. However, the syllibus what sadly lacking in avionics system - both on the ground and in the air. The instructor did a great job - but he has to stick to the syllibus. I would have much rather transitioned with someone with 250 hours glass cockpit, 5 hours in Cirrus, and with course content that covered the avionics. In fairness to Cirrus, nothing in the transition course they offer should be skipped, it just needs to be supplemented, and it should not take the UND cirriculum per se to get a pilot there. I know one insurer is looking at Electronic Flight Solutions Software as a requiremetn either as part of their requirement,and may shortly be less concerned abut the UND transition course as the content of whatever course you take and how that content can be verified.