SR-20 Rentals?

For those waiting for their new -20 you may want to consider a few hours in a rental. I just spent 4 enjoyable hours at Page field (FMY) while on vacation and can’t wait to get a few more hours. How about starting a list of known rentals for those waiting. Here is what I know so far, any additional information may be helpful to the group.

Page Field - Ft.Myers, Fla. Sr-20. Talk to Scott Hendrix at Safeflight. A very professional instructor that I believe anyone could get along with.

Bowman Field - Louisville, Ky. Cardinal Wings. Sr-20. Don't have any details other than the fact they rent an SR-20. Marty? can you advise.

Hope the list grows. The plane is a blast to fly!!

Bill

Bill: I believe Wings Aloft in Seattle has 7 SR20’s on their line. I’m going in December to take training there before my delivery.

For those waiting for their new -20 you may want to consider a few hours in a rental. I just spent 4 enjoyable hours at Page field (FMY) while on vacation and can’t wait to get a few more hours. How about starting a list of known rentals for those waiting. Here is what I know so far, any additional information may be helpful to the group.

Page Field - Ft.Myers, Fla. Sr-20. Talk to Scott Hendrix at Safeflight. A very professional instructor that I believe anyone could get along with.

Bowman Field - Louisville, Ky. Cardinal Wings. Sr-20. Don’t have any details other than the fact they rent an SR-20. Marty? can you advise.

Bill

Yes Bill I have been there twice myself. I live on the SE side of Florida. Only question I’ve had about Safeflight is whether they are up to the same level of training as the factory. The data I received several months ago was that basically everyone has been trained by an instructor who was trained by a former instructor trained at the factory. I don’t recall getting the same nuances I’ve read here about landing the SR20. I could be wrong. Either way it was really fun to get in the SR20 and on the other hand really bad. Now I can’t wait!!! I will go back to Safeflight for more fixes soon.

Bowman Field - Louisville, Ky. Cardinal Wings. Sr-20. Don’t have any details other than the fact they rent an SR-20. Marty? can you advise.

Bill

Windy City Flyers at Paulwaukee airport in Wheeling, Illinois has a SR20 at its flight school, and is awaiting delivery of a SR22 later this year.

Boulder, Colorado (Dakota Ridge Aviation) has an SR20 for rent. “B” model, leather, 3-blade prop. $130/hour wet.

Does anybody know of one in Dallas, TX ?

Yes, there was an SR20 on the rental line with Cardinal Wings. However, I believe that about 1 year ago, insurance costs and the FBO going out of business got the better of that rental. I think the three owners, have ‘converted’ the airplane into a time share of sorts, where they have sold ‘shares’ or at least ‘use rights’ in the plane to 6 other individuals.

I am not sure of the nuances, but I believe it is definitely no longer a rental. I will verify this and get back to you.

Marty

Elite Flight Center at PDK in Atlanta has two C Model SR20s for rent at $170 per hour. The check out was 5 hours when I did it last summer not sure if it is still the. Phone number is 770-234-0750.

Stephen, yes WA @ KBFI has several for rent, but the rates are quite high - $180+/hr, and require a good deal of training (I believe 4-6 hrs instruction) before letting you loose in one.

Bill: I believe Wings Aloft in Seattle has 7 SR20’s on their line. I’m going in December to take training there before my delivery.

Stephen, yes WA @ KBFI has several for rent, but the rates are quite high - $180+/hr, and require a good deal of training (I believe 4-6 hrs instruction) before letting you loose in one.

SafeFlight is $137.50 per hour wet. By coincidence, I have the plane parked in Boca Raton tonight to fly back to Ft. Myers tomorrow. They require 10 hours of dual before setting you loose on your own. A lot, but considering everything that is different from your average SkyHawk (like landing, steering, video games etc.), it is time well spent.

As of Late Feb 2002, the SafeFlight SR20 is no longer available for rental or dual instruction, it is off their commercial policy and may be up for sale. I stopped in last week and this is what I was told.

Wings Aloft has 5 SR20’s and will be getting an SR22 in mid-April. The extensive checkout is to keep the insurance folks happy, and it doesn’t help that Boeing Field is on some of the most expensive real estate in the county. So, you may find cheaper hourly rates, but the large fleet ensures there’s a plane available when you want to go. Plus, Wings developed the maintenance training program for the airplane, and really knows it well.

FWIW, mine is one of the SR20’s - N262BM - a B model with 2-blade prop. There are several C models, including the first SR20 with a Sandel - N365DP.

Wings may be planning some special checkout packages starting in April. You can call them at 206-763-2113.

Is this the SR-20 SafeFlight has based in Ft.Myers, Fla?

You are correct. I was suppose to get some dual time last Wednesday and it was canceled. They said it was due to the CAPS grounding. However, I hear that is a quick fix so that can’t be the real reason. Any way, they said it would not be available anytime soon.

Yes, they still have them for rent. I ran into their chief flight instructor, Kerwin Day, on the ramp in Orangeburg, SC Friday a week ago. He mentioned they’re looking for even more Cirri for their lease-back program…