SR-20 Max Maneuvering Speed

I see the placard on the SR-20 (above and to the left of the Airspeed indicator) says “Maneuvering Speed: Vo 135 KTS”.

I just finished ground school and was taught that Maneuvering Speed was “Va”. If so, what’s “Vo”?

(Please pardon the ignorant question, I’m just a student pilot.)

• Steven

SR-22 Position #204

I see the placard on the SR-20 (above and to the left of the Airspeed indicator) says “Maneuvering Speed: Vo 135 KTS”.

I just finished ground school and was taught that Maneuvering Speed was “Va”. If so, what’s “Vo”?

• Steven

SR-22 Position #204

Steve,

I believe these two, Vo & Va are interchangeable. Va is maneuvering airspeed; where Vo is maneuvering speed. If my memory serves me correct, both represent the maximum speed at which a full deflection of any control surface (generally the elevator) will result in a stall rather than structural damage. So if Va or Vo is 135 KIAS (the speed is dependent on the weight of the aircraft at the time of maximum control input), then a full control input at 135 KIAS would stall the plane. A full control input at speeds above Vo or Va will result, depending on additional factors, in structural damage. I am not saying that you are going to shed the wings at a speed of 136 KIAS, but I would be aware of the fact that you could.

Just remember, that an airplane will stall at any speed, regardless of where the nose is pointed. Your instructor can demonstrate a high speed stall in a C-172. It is a good learning experience. Good luck in your training.

Sorry this was so long. I hope it helps you out.

Bob #509

• Steven

SR-22 Position #204

Steve,

I believe these two, Vo & Va are interchangeable. Va is maneuvering airspeed; where Vo is maneuvering speed. If my memory serves me correct, both represent the maximum speed at which a full deflection of any control surface (generally the elevator) will result in a stall rather than structural damage. So if Va or Vo is 135 KIAS (the speed is dependent on the weight of the aircraft at the time of maximum control input), then a full control input at 135 KIAS would stall the plane. A full control input at speeds above Vo or Va will result, depending on additional factors, in structural damage. I am not saying that you are going to shed the wings at a speed of 136 KIAS, but I would be aware of the fact that you could.

Just remember, that an airplane will stall at any speed, regardless of where the nose is pointed. Your instructor can demonstrate a high speed stall in a C-172. It is a good learning experience. Good luck in your training.

Bob #509

Staying below this speed takes on added significance if you stumble into a thunderstorm.

Mike

Bob: Thank you very much for the clear, detailed answer. Now, I understand!

Mike: Thanks for the added point about thunderstorms. I hope I never end up in one.

• Steven

• Steven

SR-22 Position #204

Steve,

Bob #509

Staying below this speed takes on added significance if you stumble into a thunderstorm.

Mike

I knew that there was some upside to flying out of an airport with elevation above 6000’–even at full throttle and 155 KTAS it’s hard for me to exceed Va/Vo. Oh, and it’s increasing my altitude tolerance!