Slightly off-topic - cautionary tale (long)

While this may not apply as much to those of you who already have a Cirrus or other low wing plane, you never know…

A few days ago I was practicing high-performance take-offs (rotate at 50kts, 45 degree bank at 20agl) in my 260SE at one of the few uncontrolled airports left in so.cal.

I had been there about an hour, diligently annoucing my position at all the key points even though I was the only airplane around.

Well, getting ready to take the active I scanned final for traffic. I gave it a real look, or so I thought. I’ll never know if I should have looked even more. I then prepared to take the active.

What I didn’t know was there was a homebuilt who decided this uncontrolled airport would make a great place to practice his engine outs. He must have turned base at the threshold, even though I was annoucing every 30 seconds or so, so much that locals were probably making fun of me. Point is that for some reason, I decided to check Final one last time just as I was about to turn down the runway. There he was. Holy S#$% !

I was able to cross to the other side and he landed and then took off before I could ask him to tea and cakes. Never a radio call, at least not on the correct freq. (Yes, I kept checking mine to make sure it was right - you never know when a knee can hit the swap button on a Garmin)

My point is the same one I made four months ago. To everyone on this forum: BE EXTRA SAFE. You can bet I am second guessing myself about my initial check of final – did I really look carefully – I think I did, but after 7 touch and go’s and nary a word from anyone maybe I got complacent. Or, what I think happened, which is he was blocked by my high-wing since he was flying an incredibly non-standard pattern (namely a 15ft long final)

I’ll never know. But you can bet I will ALWAYS stare a little bit longer from now on.

Dean

PS – Would skywatch have picked him up? I think it would, but have heard about blind spots.

PS – Would skywatch have picked him up? I think it would, but have heard about blind spots.

Dean,

If the guy didn’t have a radio, he probably didn’t have a transponder either, therefore, Skywatch would not have picked him up.

Glad everything worked out safely.

Jeff

SR22 N916LJ

Hello Dean,

First of all let me congrats to you for practicing the unsual, this only makes you a better pilot.

The other airplane was also doing things that we all should be practicing (eng out) you both were in the correct place, this is why it is called uncontrolled field. Prior to entering the runaway we all should do a quick 360 and a rolling take-off. My reason for a quick 360 is because we must have a good view of the sky to make sure there is no one there and keeping in mind that there may be an airplane doing 120 kts or higher so if you are slow the guy you never saw may be on top of you by the time you decide to go. Please remember runways are meant to apply power and take off or apply brakes and get to the taxiway quickly. Before we enter the runway everything should be done. Dean thanks for bringing this up, we do need a wake up call every now and then, you did a great job for reporting you location in the pattern. Some people forget to say the name of the airport. The first and last words when I report my location in the pattern is the name of the airport. Have a great safe Cirrus day.

Woor

While this may not apply as much to those of you who already have a Cirrus or other low wing plane, you never know…

A few days ago I was practicing high-performance take-offs (rotate at 50kts, 45 degree bank at 20agl) in my 260SE at one of the few uncontrolled airports left in so.cal.

I had been there about an hour, diligently annoucing my position at all the key points even though I was the only airplane around.

Well, getting ready to take the active I scanned final for traffic. I gave it a real look, or so I thought. I’ll never know if I should have looked even more. I then prepared to take the active.

What I didn’t know was there was a homebuilt who decided this uncontrolled airport would make a great place to practice his engine outs. He must have turned base at the threshold, even though I was annoucing every 30 seconds or so, so much that locals were probably making fun of me. Point is that for some reason, I decided to check Final one last time just as I was about to turn down the runway. There he was. Holy S#$% !

I was able to cross to the other side and he landed and then took off before I could ask him to tea and cakes. Never a radio call, at least not on the correct freq. (Yes, I kept checking mine to make sure it was right - you never know when a knee can hit the swap button on a Garmin)

My point is the same one I made four months ago. To everyone on this forum: BE EXTRA SAFE. You can bet I am second guessing myself about my initial check of final – did I really look carefully – I think I did, but after 7 touch and go’s and nary a word from anyone maybe I got complacent. Or, what I think happened, which is he was blocked by my high-wing since he was flying an incredibly non-standard pattern (namely a 15ft long final)

I’ll never know. But you can bet I will ALWAYS stare a little bit longer from now on.

Dean

If that’s the same airport that I think it is, it’s the place where during my initial flight training, that my instructor and I almost where in a mid air with someone doing a downwind in the wrong(opposite) direction. Again no radio calls, just suddenly in front of us. We wern’t the only plane in the pattern either so this plane was totally against the flow. Of course they/him/her left asap without a word.

Good job on the double check.

Exactly right. That’s why Skywatch, however good it may be, is NOT a panacea for avoiding a mid air. It ONLY picks up aircraft with an operating transponder. The most likely place to find aircraft without operating transponders is at uncontrolled fields. Guess where most mid-airs occur. That’s right.

Be careful up there.

J. Seckler SR 22 N1970

Dean,

If the guy didn’t have a radio, he probably didn’t have a transponder either, therefore, Skywatch would not have picked him up.

Glad everything worked out safely.

Jeff

SR22 N916LJ

If that’s the same airport that I think it is, it’s the place where during my initial flight training, that my instructor and I almost where in a mid air with someone doing a downwind in the wrong(opposite) direction. Again no radio calls, just suddenly in front of us. We wern’t the only plane in the pattern either so this plane was totally against the flow. Of course they/him/her left asap without a word.

Geez. Surprised you didn’t quit flying right then and there.

IMHO - the days of non-radio and no transponder flying should be over period. I don’t care where you are or what you are doing.