Hangar incidents

Poll, for those with aircraft in community hangars: If there were a product available with a proven track record of preventing pull/push back related accidents by between 50-80% how much would this be worth? Would you buy it? Anyone have any thoughts, stories, and opinions on comunity hangar related accidents?

Eyes. I already have two…they work very well and were free!

Norman: I think you have just been bested in the “Thinly Disguised Commercial Post” award. [;)]

You might want to get a refund on that marketing book. Your first attempt to get everyone excited and voting in your “poll” was apparently not as successful as you’d hoped

OK, it’s like this. I have 5 inches clearance on each wingtip strobe in my hangar. My FBO, which does pull-out and put-away service, will pull out but not put it away, which is fine with me! I have it down with my Aero-tow 200 where I can put it away with confidence in less than a minute.

If you’re talking about some sort of aural warning when you’re about to prang, that would be interesting.

Generally with respects to a community hangar it would be the responsibility of the FBO for pull and push back. You watch every time?

Norman: I think you have just been bested in the “Thinly Disguised Commercial Post” award.
Marty,
I think I’d put this one in the category of "Not Disguised At All!"

Cheers,
Roger

Nope…I don’t watch everytime. But then I don’t care about that issue…I figure I’ll detect damage when I do my walk-around and if the FBO trashed my plane, I’ll sue him or make him fix it.

This board is full of expensive useless gadgets already…but the idea that some gadget is going to keep the FBO from driving your wing into the sidewall of the hangar takes the cake. Seems to me there would be much higher returns for the money if it were spent on recurrent IFR training, or an extra gallon of gas, or a non-mandatory 100 hr inspection.

Darn Roger! I was trying to give my new British persona a test drive. I guess you didn’t buy the bloody understatement? Blimey! Jolly good show

(Apologies to all of my friends from across the pond!)

I bet I know what Michael’s selling… Bubble Wrap to enclose the entire airplane! Prevents all scrapes and scratches, and it’s fun to pop.

http://www.7fire.com/flash/bubblewrap.swf

That’s funny. Actually, I had the idea quite a while ago to make custom “wing bumpers” by taking a mold of the wingtips of various planes and making a tight fitting bumper out of that expanding foam insulation you can buy in spray cans.

I figured I’d lube the wingtip with Windex or something, wrap the wingtip in plastic wrap, mask off the surrounding areas and carefully spray some of that insulation all over the plastic wrap, top and bottom. After it expanded and dried, I’d slide it off the wingtip and shape the outside of it with a knife and some sandpaper or something just to give it a nicer appearance, then spray paint the thing in safety yellow or something.

So now, any time you put your plane away, (or tie it down outside) you could just slide on your custom made “wing bumpers” and be less susceptible to damage from other planes

I didn’t imagine there’d be a huge market for them, but then I never tried this guy’s brilliant marketing technique either.

I was actually attempting to gain insight for the potential market of a product that I am currently developing. Unfortunately or maybe not so much so, I have no such product to sell at this time. I thought the owners of relatively new aircraft would prove to be an eager bunch to preserve the factory condition of there aircraft, I must have been mistaken. Although rather uncouth (airboy) I have to admit the bubble wrap thing was pretty funny. Let me know when your plane gets the ol inevitable rash, weÂ’ll have a jolly old chuckle together.

cheers

Oh, man… this’ll keep me busy for hours!

ok…this is over the top. I had to forward this to every nervous nelly in my office…now, I hear the stuff popping all over the place!

In reply to:

If you’re talking about some sort of aural warning when you’re about to prang, that would be interesting.

Judging by Mr. Moore’s only other post it would not appear to be so imaginative.

In reply to:

Oh, man… this’ll keep me busy for hours!

too late, I’ve BEEN busy for hours with it.

In reply to:

Although rather uncouth (airboy)

Roger (airboy) is about as “uncouth” as most of the many very professional people found in the members forum. To know him is to respect him. (and enjoy his wonderful sense of humor! Actually pretty good for a physics professor!)[:)]

Walt

Michael,
Although rather uncouth (airboy)…
Au contraire — Webster’s dictionary defines uncouth as lacking in polish and grace. and I’m Polish on my mother’s side!
Let me know when your plane gets the ol inevitable (hangar) rash, weÂ’ll have a jolly old chuckle together.

Nothing would make me happier! We’ve been on a waiting list for a hangar for 2 years, so we’re still looking forward to the day when hangar rash becomes a concern.

Cheers,
Roger