Rough Air Switch Protector

After cutting off 2 switches while in rough air and IFR training the other day (Mike, it ain’t fun, is it?), I sought to come up with a fix…Here’s my first shot at it:
I used a plastic cover taken from a battery operated flourescent light…you can use any kind of clear plastic tube between 1.5 and 2" in diameter X 6 inches long and slice it in half. I’ll probably ‘upgrade’ to a 2" tube to more clearly read the switch ID’s.
I attached it on the rear with ‘clear’ mounting tape. It rotates up very easily and glides down on its own. I would have posted another pic but I am having trouble (complete idiot) with posting it. Although crude in design, it works like a charm.
TC

Here’s the second pic!
Steve, not sure if these pics meet the 250000 bytes requirement…If I went overboard…let me know how to measure.
Thanks

Hey Don, that’s pretty innovative! I’m curious though. With all the navigating equipment in the SR20/22, why do you have the anywheremap? Does your ship only have one electrical system and the PocketPC is a backup?

Walt

In reply to:

Mike, it ain’t fun, is it?..Although crude in design, it works like a charm.

Don,

Nope, it ain’t fun – wakes you right up, with the potential to ruin a whole day.

I was out flying all day yesterday, and I called Marty Kent while I was driving home – the first thing he said was that I should look here for your ‘RASP’ device, which he described as “The most svelte device for covering the switches” that he’s yet seen. I agree - looks very cool. I’ll replace my rectangular-box-shaped thingy with one like yours as soon as I can find one. Nice work!

Mike.

In reply to:

Steve, not sure if these pics meet the 250000 bytes requirement…If I went overboard…let me know how to measure.

Don’t worry, Don - if they had exceeded that limit, the system would not have let you post them! [:)]

(Note that I’ve increased the size limit of attachments from 75k to 250k with the move to the new server, since we’ve now got more disk space.)

Steve

Don

How come you only have one alternator switch?

My SR20 #1043 has two. Was this design changed with the later models?

Ian

Novel idea. How did you mount that IPAQ? What GPS are you using with the Anywheremap? Thanks.

one electrical system…i mostly use anywheremap for the WEATHER!!!

Ian,

Model “A” and “B” SR20s have just one alternator. Dual alternators are an option on “B” and standard on “C”.

(This is all version 1.x, though I’m a little surprised to see that version 2.0 also has a single alternator standard.)

Steve

I believe the ‘B’ model has 1 alt. the ‘c’ gets 2.

I bought an extra ‘sleeve’ (1 came with the IPAG) and mounted it with 3M locking strips. Very firm without holes. I simply slide the Ipag in and out.
The GPS is a small garmin ( just like a remote 1/2 clam shell antenna) and is mounted with velcro up on the glareshield.

We need 125’ of clear plastic tubing 2" in diameter (like PVC just clear), sliced in 1/2 which =250’ linear ft. of 1/2 shells, then cut in 6 inch lengths (500 pieces) for the whole fleet! What’s Max doing next week? Sounds like a switch from electronics to ‘hacksawing 101’
TC

How about using the clear tubing for protecting full length fluorescent lights? These are available at places like Home Depot etc. For about two bucks you get 4 feet of tubing. Thats enough for 16 planes.

In reply to:

How about using the clear tubing for protecting full length fluorescent lights? These are available at places like Home Depot etc. For about two bucks you get 4 feet of tubing. Thats enough for 16 planes.

Casey,

Great minds think alike (maybe) - I put one in the trunk of my car this afternoon with a view to trying it. It seems as though it may be too flimsy, though. Will let you know.

MIke.

Casey, mike,
Did a search on GOOGLE…Apparently the whole world uses clear tubing/ PVC except us. Here’s 1 web-site that appears to have it all! http://www.excaliburextrusions.com/Clear_PVC.htm
TC,
Don

In reply to:

clear tubing/ PVC

A New Jersey supplier…

http://www.thermoplasticprocesses.com/

Here’s another (more convenient) source for PVC…

http://www.mcmaster.com/param/asp/psearch.asp?FAM=pvcppf&FT_116=722&FT_147=23498&FT_742=43609&desc=Clear+PVC+Pipe

Andhttp://www.mcmaster.com/param/asp/psearch.asp?FAM=pvcppf&FT_116=722&FT_147=23498&FT_742=43609&desc=Clear+PVC+Pipe

I think Jet power tools and Sears have clear PVC 2 1/4" tubing for wood shop dust collection. It might be too large however. I know it’s way thicker than the light tubes.

2" max!

I’m bumping an old thread here, but I was at Menards hardware today and had an idea.

I thought about buying a 3" wide handle for a drawer (a pull) and taking the switch plate off, drilling a couple of small holes, and mounting the handle over the master, battery, and avionics switch.

Well… actually, I bought the handle and then left it in the cart out in the parking lot.[:$]

Before I go back and buy another one, does anyone think this will work?

Dan