SR22 ready soon

Ten days to go to leave for Duluth to pick-up hull # 46, SR22 position number 51. Am I excited? My delevery has been rescheduled twice due to production scheduling. The last time I scheduled my pick-up a week after promised completion. I have been promised that 32MG will not be re-scheduled for a “just in time” completion. Rather, it will be finished and tested on schedule, June 29, and placed in cold storage.

Suzi sent me a great picture yesterday of the new plane. I will be leaving for DLH July 9th, PIREPS will follow after my return home.

In the meantime, I will be selling my Piper Archer III. Anyone looking for a very clean Archer, please e-me. I am based on MVY for the summer.

My insurance quotes have been way too high. I am IFR rated, 200 hours plus. I am looking at $6,800 for coverage, yikes :o(

Has anybody had experience with a portable, back-up GPS in a SRXX cabin? I am trying to compare the GPS anywhere with the Garmin 295. Will either unit work without an additional antenna?

I’m scheduled in a week after you. Have you put together a pick up check list? Following the threads and PIREPs on this board has been great to assemble what to look for (thanks!). Did anybody else put together a pick up check list that you can share here, or send to email?

cheers, jb

Ten days to go to leave for Duluth to pick-up hull # 46, SR22 position number 51. Am I excited? My delevery has been rescheduled twice due to production scheduling. The last time I scheduled my pick-up a week after promised completion. I have been promised that 32MG will not be re-scheduled for a “just in time” completion. Rather, it will be finished and tested on schedule, June 29, and placed in cold storage.

Suzi sent me a great picture yesterday of the new plane. I will be leaving for DLH July 9th, PIREPS will follow after my return home.

In the meantime, I will be selling my Piper Archer III. Anyone looking for a very clean Archer, please e-me. I am based on MVY for the summer.

My insurance quotes have been way too high. I am IFR rated, 200 hours plus. I am looking at $6,800 for coverage, yikes :o(

Has anybody had experience with a portable, back-up GPS in a SRXX cabin? I am trying to compare the GPS anywhere with the Garmin 295. Will either unit work without an additional antenna?

Myron,

Good luck. Fwiw, I saw your hull start down the line when I picked up mine a/c. I think it got off the truck on May 30th.

I have a Garmin 295 and it works fine in all a/c I’ve tried it in with just the antenna that plugs in the back of the unit (i.e., no wires). This is unlike the 195 in that the 195’s internal antenna didn’t work well enough for me to use inside a/c.

My choice is to simplify an already cluttered cabin and not take a backup GPS. The 430’s are quite reliable, especially as a pair. I have had a RAIM warning during an approach in IMC, but it sure was nice to have the second unit chugging along, not getting the warning (that’s my recollection, not 100% sure the second one didn’t get the warning).

I pay $3500 for $1m smooth and 300k hull from USAIG, through AOPA. I have commercial/instrument/multi and 560 hours.

Good luck with the pickup!

Robert Bedichek

I went with the AnywhereMap system ($1100) vs. the Garmen 295 ($1449). I’ve sold my Warrior back in CT and have moved to AZ. Our SR22, (we’ve just upgraded from our SR20 order) won’t be available until next June, so we are renting an Archer up in Prescott.

I purchased the AnywhereMap software/Garmen GPS and a backup power supply from Control Vision. I also purchased a Compaq 3536 Pocket PC. I have been an avid Palm user since my original Palm Pilot 5000, which I upgraded to a professional. Last year my wife gave me a Palm V. (When you get to be my age, you need any available add-on RAM for your brain that you can get!)

The pocket PC blows away the palm device. So for less money I have a great moving map AND an organizer to boot! I am finishing up a Excel spreadsheet that I can keep on the pocket PC where I input aircraft weight, temperature, pressure altitude, head/tail wind and it will compute the runway length required. Great tool!

Walt

Myron,

I just finished a bunch of trips – lots of time to play with things. I remembered this post, and decided that it wouldn’t be a bad idea to see how long it would take me to haul out the Garmin 295, fire it up and start using it (simulated GPS/Electrical outage). Elapsed time from start to navigating on the 295, with first waypoint loaded, was just on 3 minutes. It took an additional 3 minutes to get the rest of my route loaded in.

The 295 worked perfectly with just its little stub antenna. It also sits on top of the glareshield where it’s easy to look at, though it probably wouldn’t stay there long in turbulence.

• Mike.

My choice is to simplify an already cluttered cabin and not take a backup GPS. The 430’s are quite reliable, especially as a pair.

Robert,

It might be worth considering bringing your handheld along, even with two panel mount GPSs – if you have complete electrical failure, especially in IMC.

As an example, I recently lost alternator #1 on my SR20. I happened to have dual alternators but if I didn’t, then I’d have been on battery power only.

I usually compromise by not going through the effort of getting the handheld out, hooking up the antenna, etc. for every flight. But at least it’s there, in its case, so that if I lost the electical system for real, I could just hold for a minute or two while digging it out…

Steve

My choice is to simplify an already cluttered cabin and not take a backup GPS. The 430’s are quite reliable, especially as a pair.

I agree Steve,

In my Warrior, I had a Garmin 95XL with double AA batteries ready to go if power was lost to my Northstar GPS panel mount, plus a portable COMM.

The SR22 will have enough redundancy to eliminate the need for digging into the flight bag in an emergency, but I’ll still keep my comm backup, just in case.

Walt

Robert,

It might be worth considering bringing your handheld along, even with two panel mount GPSs – if you have complete electrical failure, especially in IMC.

As an example, I recently lost alternator #1 on my SR20. I happened to have dual alternators but if I didn’t, then I’d have been on battery power only.

I usually compromise by not going through the effort of getting the handheld out, hooking up the antenna, etc. for every flight. But at least it’s there, in its case, so that if I lost the electical system for real, I could just hold for a minute or two while digging it out…

Steve

I, too, went with the AnywhereMap/Garmin 35/Compaq. You mentioned a backup power supply, what is that? Like a battery backup or something? I, too, really like the Compaq, it has a really good display in bright sunlight. Good idea regarding the spreadsheet. Maybe you could share that with us when you finish it? :wink:

I went with the AnywhereMap system ($1100) vs. the Garmen 295 ($1449). I’ve sold my Warrior back in CT and have moved to AZ. Our SR22, (we’ve just upgraded from our SR20 order) won’t be available until next June, so we are renting an Archer up in Prescott.

I purchased the AnywhereMap software/Garmen GPS and a backup power supply from Control Vision. I also purchased a Compaq 3536 Pocket PC. I have been an avid Palm user since my original Palm Pilot 5000, which I upgraded to a professional. Last year my wife gave me a Palm V. (When you get to be my age, you need any available add-on RAM for your brain that you can get!)

The pocket PC blows away the palm device. So for less money I have a great moving map AND an organizer to boot! I am finishing up a Excel spreadsheet that I can keep on the pocket PC where I input aircraft weight, temperature, pressure altitude, head/tail wind and it will compute the runway length required. Great tool!

Walt

Anyone using the Casio pocket pc ?

Can you compare it to the Compaq?

Thanks

Wilfried

The supply I mentioned can be seen on www.anywheremap.com. It’s a rechargeable battery (part # AW165 @ $69.00) that has a standard 12V auto outlet (used to be called a cigarette lighter connector in the old days). The outlet is used to both power accessories and provide a means of charging with the included charger. It’s great for rentals as a backup or if the rental does not have a 12V outlet.

The GPS that I purchased has a connector that plugs into the auto outlet and another that interfaces with the pocket PC. The battery provides up to 8 hrs of power for both the GPS and PC.

The Excel spreadsheet that I am finishing up is for an Archer, but as soon as I get a copy of the SR22 POH, I’ll work on one for it.

Walt

I, too, went with the AnywhereMap/Garmin 35/Compaq. You mentioned a backup power supply, what is that? Like a battery backup or something? I, too, really like the Compaq, it has a really good display in bright sunlight. Good idea regarding the spreadsheet. Maybe you could share that with us when you finish it? :wink:

Walt