Outdoor storage??

This topic has come up before, but as the “installed base” of Cirri increases, I thought I might ask again.

In principle, everyone would love to have a hangar. In practice, that’s impossible in some places. Therefore:

• What’s been the experience to date of anyone keeping planes outdoors? I know it’s early, but any indication of heat/sun effects on the planes?

• Anyone decided to invest in “Bruce’s Custom Covers” or others devices to cover the windows and protect the interior?
    For the wannabe tribe, thanks, jf

I managed to get a hangar at MYF in San Diego for 163CD. After being on a wait list for nearly five years, I got it over someones dead body . . . but that’s another story.

I had a Bruce cover shipped to Duluth so that I would have it for the trip back. I use it whenever I leave the airplane parked outside for more than 3 or 4 hours. It is easy get on and off ; it is very well made and fits great. I would recommend the cover even if you have a hangar.

Bill Graham

This topic has come up before, but as the “installed base” of Cirri increases, I thought I might ask again.

In principle, everyone would love to have a hangar. In practice, that’s impossible in some places. Therefore:

• What’s been the experience to date of anyone keeping planes outdoors? I know it’s early, but any indication of heat/sun effects on the planes?
  • Anyone decided to invest in “Bruce’s Custom Covers” or others devices to cover the windows and protect the interior?

I know of two SR20’s on the rental lines. One is the one outside of Chicago and the second is N145CD, an “A” model with Cardinal Wings @ Bowman Field in Louisville, KY (LOU). I believe the latter is kept outdoors, at least during the days. these two would probably be your best two to look at for durability, unless Walt is still piling up 100’s of hours per month :~).

From a casual observer point of view, it looks fine, and this includes the wear and tear from the rental use. For the record, it has close to 500 hours on it, but most were from its days as a factory demonstrator.

Marty #15 SR22

I’ve had two Bruce’s covers: One for a Siai-Marchetti S.205 and one for my current ride, a TB20.

They are very well made, fit great, and are easy to get on and off. My TB20 came with a cover, but compared to Bruce’s it looked like cheese-cloth, didn’t cover as much, and leaked like a sieve.

Mine cost me about $300-$400, as I remember. I also got the intake plugs and pitot cover “while I was at it.”

Joe

(Former Position Holder)

I bought a cover from Bruces Custom covers, also. It is very well made and weight about 8-9 lb. fits in a small bag. I have only used it for three weeks in So. Calif (SNA), but it really keeps out the sun and keeps nose prints off the windows. I take it with me and use it all the time. Cost about $350 or so, as I recall.

I’m also going to have to park my SR-20 outside, so I’ve been looking at covers too.

A while back I flew with a club which had a couple of planes with “Bruce’s” covers. They seemed nice but one thing that I wondered is how well they protect from stuff like hail and/or the small asphalt pebbles that other peoples’ propwash kicks up?

I noticed this site (http://www.a-b-way.com) on landings – has anyone ever seen their covers before? Looks like they’re made like a sandwich of Tyvek around a 1/2 inch of dense foam – seems like this type of foam sandwich might protect from hail, etc. better?

anyone seen these or a similar cover before? (Or maybe Bruce’s covers are available with something like this? I just know the one I used some time ago was more like a canvas cover with no padding)

Thanks

Steve

I managed to get a hangar at MYF in San Diego for 163CD. After being on a wait list for nearly five years, I got it over someones dead body . . . but that’s another story.

I had a Bruce cover shipped to Duluth so that I would have it for the trip back. I use it whenever I leave the airplane parked outside for more than 3 or 4 hours. It is easy get on and off ; it is very well made and fits great. I would recommend the cover even if you have a hangar.

Bill Graham

How much does the Bruce cover cost?

Do you by chance also wear suspenders AND a belt? Just kidding–couldn’t resist

mdz

Bill Graham

Thanks for all the info about the covers. Sounds like a good investment. One other question: how much does your cover weigh, and how big is it when packed up? Assume you make it part of the plane’s traveling equipment (ie “empty weight”), right? thanks jf.

Bill Graham

How much does the Bruce cover cost?

Click on “links” for this site and then on #2 next to Bruce and you will find a price list. I got the extended cover that fits over the missle silo.

Bill Graham

Do you by chance also wear suspenders AND a belt? Just kidding–couldn’t resist

mdz

I see what you mean :). It’s just that I don’t like to find people climbing over the airplane and putting handprints and nose prints on the plexiglass. The cover seems to keep people off the airplane.

Bill Graham

Never weighed it, but I’d say about as much as a basketball-sized watermellon. Folds up to about the size of a small suitcase, maybe less. (This is for the TB20 cover, the SR20 should be similar, I’d suppose.)

http://www.aircraftcovers.com/pdf/sr20.pdf

Here’s a link to Bruce’s SR20 cover spec sheet, but it lists no weight.

Joe

Thanks for all the info about the covers. Sounds like a good investment. One other question: how much does your cover weigh, and how big is it when packed up? Assume you make it part of the plane’s traveling equipment (ie “empty weight”), right? thanks jf.

Never weighed it, but I’d say about as much as a basketball-sized watermellon.

Hmm, better look up the POH and see what the max gross is again - ah, there it is, max gross - 313 baskteball size watermelons :slight_smile: What happens if you eat one - is that the same as burning off fuel?

Must be like that calorie-free chocolate I love to eat :slight_smile:

I knew I was in for some ribbing about the watermellon comparison, but I’m lousy at estimating weights!

Joe

Never weighed it, but I’d say about as much as a basketball-sized watermellon.

Hmm, better look up the POH and see what the max gross is again - ah, there it is, max gross - 313 baskteball size watermelons :slight_smile: What happens if you eat one - is that the same as burning off fuel?

Must be like that calorie-free chocolate I love to eat :slight_smile:

The SR20 operated by Windy City Flyers at Palwaukee outside of Chicago is hangered.

I know of two SR20’s on the rental lines. One is the one outside of Chicago and the second is N145CD, an “A” model with Cardinal Wings @ Bowman Field in Louisville, KY (LOU). I believe the latter is kept outdoors, at least during the days. these two would probably be your best two to look at for durability, unless Walt is still piling up 100’s of hours per month :~).

From a casual observer point of view, it looks fine, and this includes the wear and tear from the rental use. For the record, it has close to 500 hours on it, but most were from its days as a factory demonstrator.

Marty #15 SR22

extended cover (covers parachute) with emb. n-numbers and pitot tube cover was $405.00. we love the cover …ed

I noticed this site (http://www.a-b-way.com) on landings

I don’t know what their covers are like, but I could only stand to browse their site for about 30 seconds because of the awful MIDI music it plays! I wonder if their covers sing, too?