Gifts for my plane?

Even though my plane won’t be here until June,I have started to shower it with gifts. I have the mandatory chocks with tail number engraved (bought before discussion about chocking the nose wheel) the mandatory tie down kit with tail number on the bag. Can you folks help me pass the time buying neat stuff for the next six months. I do have plans to provide the plane with a nice warm home. Some things I have been reading ads aboout look interesting. Has anyone used some sort of plastic strips along the leading edges of the propeller to prevent chips and dings? Does anyone use a product called AvBlend as an oil additive? What other neat stuff have you guys and gals found? Merry Christmas from Jane and I. We hope to be airborn mid-year and look forward to meeting people and putting names with faces. Lets think about that Cirrus Owners Association that was talked about so long ago. Maybe it’s time.

What other neat stuff have you guys and gals found?

Bob,

Your planning so far ahead is great! I have just about 1 month to go, but I’m just starting.

I just ordered a cover from Bruce’s Covers (slightly longer than the usual 3 week lead time right now because of the Holidays), and some of that WashWaxAll goop that Ed Boland recommended (see “Washing your bird!” from 12/20). I will also be providing N84MR with indoor living - not as nice as I’d like, but I’ll take it; the cover is for those times the airplane will overnight on some distant ramp. After all, I want to GO places.

Because I live in New Jersey where this morning’s temperature is 8F, I’ll be installing the Reiff preheating system at the factory.

Other items I want to get:

• There’s a sort of anti-icing gel - I believe it’s silicone based - which you can apply to leading edges to delay the onset of icing

• A good Carbon Monoxide detector/alarm

• The device to load the Garmin database cards at home with data downloaded from the Internet; I believe it’s available from Jepp. for $149.

Keep us posted on what you wind up buying… and good luck with your bird.

Have a merry, a happy, a healthy, a successful, and a SAFE!

• Mike.

Even though my plane won’t be here until June,I have started to shower it with gifts. I have the mandatory chocks with tail number engraved (bought before discussion about chocking the nose wheel) the mandatory tie down kit with tail number on the bag. Can you folks help me pass the time buying neat stuff for the next six months. I do have plans to provide the plane with a nice warm home. Some things I have been reading ads aboout look interesting. Has anyone used some sort of plastic strips along the leading edges of the propeller to prevent chips and dings? Does anyone use a product called AvBlend as an oil additive? What other neat stuff have you guys and gals found? Merry Christmas from Jane and I. We hope to be airborn mid-year and look forward to meeting people and putting names with faces. Lets think about that Cirrus Owners Association that was talked about so long ago. Maybe it’s time.

I’ve always thought that an aircraft owner’s worst nightmare is to have his plane totally equipped as he/she needs it. Glad to see that as well as the Cirrus is equipped, we’re a way away from that problem.

How about a Cirrus parking area at Oshkosh 01?

Even though my plane won’t be here until June,I have started to shower it with gifts. I have the mandatory chocks with tail number engraved (bought before discussion about chocking the nose wheel)

I missed the discussion on chocks and the wheel. Would you mind repeating the issue?

Thanks.

Jim W.

Hello Bob and Jane,

I am glad to see I am not the only one to be excited about the new addition to the family. :->)

Even though my plane won’t be here until June,I have started to shower it with gifts. I have the mandatory chocks with tail number engraved (bought before discussion about chocking the nose wheel) the mandatory tie down kit with tail number on the bag. Can you folks help me pass the time buying neat stuff for the next six months.
Ok here are some ideas: Pitot cover and intake covers. Carpet to clean the shoes prior to getting on the airplane (put this on the ground aft of the wing) 24V battery charger. Because you are going to sit in the hangar with the battery and all the radios going for hours, until you realize that you are not dreaming.

I do have plans to provide the plane with a nice warm home. Some things I have been reading ads aboout look interesting. Has anyone used some sort of plastic strips along the leading edges of the propeller to prevent chips and dings?
Great idea if you have a MT prop. For our props you just need to be a good carefull pilot. Example: On most airplanes if you have more then 1000 RPM you are asking those little rocks to say hello (ding) to your nice prop. When you first start your engine, if the RPM goes over 1000 you need to remember what you did and say to your self, I will do better next time and not have so much throtlle pushed in (no oil pressure, high rpm NOT a good mixture) Also, I always check where I am going to start, is the ground clean, if not I clean it or relocate the bird to a better location. Same goes for runup. If your airport is a bad gravel area, never do a runup while stopped. Same goes for takeoff, unless you don’t have the distance you need always do a gradual power application. By following these simple rules, your prop can look new after many hours of operation. If you know of anyone that always uses plenty power to move around or during starting, go look at their prop, and you will see what I mean. Try this: push or tow your airplane to a level ground, hold the brakes, start with a little less throtle, once you bring the RPM to 1000 while holding the brakes, go ahead and release the brakes, it does not move too fast, at the begining but soon you will have to put on the brakes because you are going faster then comfortable. You just saved couple of dings… try it you will like it…

Does anyone use a product called AvBlend as an oil additive? Not needed. What other neat stuff have you guys and gals found? I recently purchased two Crystals with the Cirrus in the inside of the Crystal, I think it looks great, here is the phone number 703.920.6436 Merry Christmas from Jane and I. We hope to be airborn mid-year and look forward to meeting people and putting names with faces. I too am looking forward to mid next year, time will fly… Have a great Cirrus day.

Cheers,

Woor

Bob,

Your planning so far ahead is great! I have just about 1 month to go, but I’m just starting.

I just ordered a cover from Bruce’s Covers (slightly longer than the usual 3 week lead time right now because of the Holidays), and some of that WashWaxAll goop that Ed Boland recommended (see “Washing your bird!” from 12/20). I will also be providing N84MR with indoor living - not as nice as I’d like, but I’ll take it; the cover is for those times the airplane will overnight on some distant ramp. After all, I want to GO places.

Because I live in New Jersey where this morning’s temperature is 8F, I’ll be installing the Reiff preheating system at the factory.

• There’s a sort of anti-icing gel - I believe it’s silicone based - which you can apply to leading edges to delay the onset of icing
  • The device to load the Garmin database cards at home with data downloaded from the Internet; I believe it’s available from Jepp. for $149.

• Mike.

CO2 Detector

If your in the market for a CO2 detector, I can strongly recommend the AIM935 as have a number of reviewers (AvWeb etc).

It is extremely sensitive and provides a digital readout of CO2 level. Quickly detects the increased CO2 level when taxiing behing a turboprop, for instance, but quickly resets once your in the clear. Digital readout lets you distinquish quickly between small increase (10ppm, for instance) and a real problem. Available from AeroMedix.com online. About $75. I’d strongly recommend it!

Bob,

• Mike.

CO2 Detector

If your in the market for a CO2 detector, I can strongly recommend the AIM935 as have a number of reviewers (AvWeb etc).

It is extremely sensitive and provides a digital readout of CO2 level. Quickly detects the increased CO2 level when taxiing behing a turboprop, for instance, but quickly resets once your in the clear. Digital readout lets you distinquish quickly between small increase (10ppm, for instance) and a real problem. Available from AeroMedix.com online. About $75. I’d strongly recommend it!

I agree. It is a great unit. I had one go bad on me and called the toll free number and received a new one within a couple of days. I ferry lots of planes, I always care one of these, and a EVAC.U8 (Emergency Escape Smoke Hood) and my good old GPS, when everything else fails I can still keep going and know where I am too… Have a great Cirrus day.

Woor

Bob,

• Mike.

CO2 Detector

Bob, are you talking about a CO (carbon monoxide)

detector or a CO2 (carbon dioxide) detector?

Bob,

• Mike.

CO2 Detector

I’m sure it’s a CO2 detector; you never know when womeone is going to pop open a soda or a beer in the back seat.

It’s the CO2 detector that’s important! If you keep plants in the cabin, they need CO2. Plants, you know, give off the all-important oxygen that we need at high altitude. I wouldn’t be without the CO2 detector for my on-board plants!

Bob,

Sorry - CO

• Mike.

CO2 Detector

I’m sure it’s a CO2 detector; you never know when womeone is going to pop open a soda or a beer in the back seat.

Hey - how about a METHANE detector? Only because you never know who’s going to do ANYTHING in the back seat. Of course, to be really useful, it would need to have a Relative Bearing indicator, and a pilot-only override button…

:slight_smile:

Mike.

Hey - how about a METHANE detector? Only because you never know who’s going to do ANYTHING in the back seat. Of course, to be really useful, it would need to have a Relative Bearing indicator, and a pilot-only override button…

:slight_smile:

Mike.

You guys are funny! Next step for oxygen generation will be a hydroponics garden. Now I know I need the extra weight carrying capacity of the SR22!

Michael

Looking back on this string I think things got a little out of hand. You guys been into the eggnog? Drive and fly safe the amateurs are out.

Even though my plane won’t be here until June,I have started to shower it with gifts. I have the mandatory chocks with tail number engraved (bought before discussion about chocking the nose wheel)

I missed the discussion on chocks and the wheel. Would you mind repeating the issue?

Thanks.

Jim W.

Jim - The discussion brought out the fact that just throwing one set of chocks under this nosewheel is not safe. Put chocks under the mains or she could just swivel right out and head down the ramp. Saw a Learjet rolling down the ramp in Milwaukee once during a storm with two pilots chasing after it on foot. Never figured out what they were going to do if the caught it because the door was closed. I don’t want that to happen to me. I will be buying another set of chocks.