Register a two-blades SR20 in Europe

Do you know that it is impossible to register a SR20 in Europe with a two-blades prop? With my cockpit friend Jean I decided to buy a SR20 (N422M) at Pougheepsie in August 2004. The plane is in Luxembourg since about 6 months and we try to register (LX-RJE) the aircraft since that time. We fortunately flew without problems approximately 50 hours since August on this marvellous aircraft. EASA (the European FAA) refuses to accept our registration because Cirrus did not require an European agreement for the 2-blades SR’s. This has been made without any information for the potential clients. The proof of this is that the SR20 and SRV basic aircrafts are still sold in Europe with two-blades props standard price (check the internet and you will see it http://www.aerolithe.fr/images/neufs/listedesprix2004sr20.pdf). There is a price increase for the 3-blades. When contacting Cirrus and depending of the person who answers you, it acts sometimes of a problem of vibrations or noise or costs. The FAA seems not to be aware of this technical problem. We think that it is a question of a commercial easy way to oblige the customers to choose for the 3-blades and to sabotage the second-hand market in Europe for the 2-blades. We deeply regret the attitude of Cirrus which refuses any assistance in our steps of registration. We would wish to know the opinion of the Cirrus community on this subject.
Thanks, Eric.

Eric,

Sorry to hear of your quandry. I am not surprised Cirrus hasn’t sought JAA approval of the 2-blade prop, as that is the noisiest configuration and the US perception is that Europe (particularly Germany) is very hard on noise.

But it is a terrible shame you weren’t informed of that before getting into the aircraft. Despite our Dept. of Homeland Security, you are very welcome to come to the US and get the ratings you need to keep it on a N-register. I understand it is much easier to get your instrument rating that way.

In reply to:

Do you know that it is impossible to register a SR20 in Europe with a two-blades prop? With my cockpit friend Jean I decided to buy a SR20 (N422M) at Pougheepsie in August 2004.
Thanks, Eric.

well … I always wondered who bought 422M, I sold that plane and the guys from Skytation
picked it up and delivered it. I’m really sorry to hear about the registration problems you
have had, but I’m delighted to hear the plane is in Europe and performing well. It was by
far the best plane I’ve ever owned and I was very, very sad to part with it.

Eric,
Enfer et damnation! Like you, I find this quite an upsetting situation. I can’t understand why Cirrus and Aerolithe don’t publicize the different EASA certification status of the airplanes with les hélices bipales ou tripales.

Cheers,
Roger
(who would love to visit Les Caboulis)

Eric, I can only advise you to get in touch with General Enterprises, Mr. Rob van Doorn, in Groningen. They helped me to get my plane registered in Holland (PH-AMI). Although a 3 blade, all electric SR-20, I hope that they can find a way to solve your problem. They have at least the expertise and contacts within EASA and I am sure they want to help you.

Hein de Groot

Thank you for your encouragements. I would like to insist on the fact that it is not a question of the quality of the plane. We bought a machine in perfect state (thank you Rol for your good care) and are very happy to be able to fly with it. We deeply regret the attitude of Cirrus which is far from being as worthy as quality of their products. I am maybe too naive, but I notice that new technology rhyme not with service of quality.