transponder problems?

I just started flying the SR20 in the So. Cal. area. On a flight this weekend to MOnterey about an hour into the trip up and also on the way back flight following lost my transponder signal. After recycling they picked it back up only to lose it again. I turned off the bottom GPS thinking there wasto much heat in the area and I kept the signal although I lande not to long after i tried that. I am taking the transponder in for a check but was wondering if there have been any other problems like this out there.It has been an absolutely fantastic plane to fly so far

Several other posts to this forum have documented unexplained transponder failure in the SR20. I wonder what the Cirrus Design folks have to say about this? Your hypothesis that the problem may be due to excessive heat is interesting. Does anyone here know how effective the avionics cooling system in the SR20 appears to be? Any other ideas re: the cause of the transponder troubles? Is there a common failure mode? Have those of you who now own replacement transponders had any recurrence of the trouble?

I just started flying the SR20 in the So. Cal. area. On a flight this weekend to MOnterey about an hour into the trip up and also on the way back flight following lost my transponder signal. After recycling they picked it back up only to lose it again. I turned off the bottom GPS thinking there wasto much heat in the area and I kept the signal although I lande not to long after i tried that. I am taking the transponder in for a check but was wondering if there have been any other problems like this out there.It has been an absolutely fantastic plane to fly so far

As a SR20 Forum enthusiast who anticipates owning an SR20 about March of 2000, I can say with certainty that Garmin has had a greater percentage failure rate on its transponders than Firestone has had on its Wilderness AT tires.
I hope that Cirrus’ tolerance level with Garmin’s transponder is less than Ford’s was with Firestone. aa

I just started flying the SR20 in the So. Cal. area.

I hope you’ll consider coming to the “3rd West Coast SR20 Fly-In” at Santa Barbara September 30. So far we’ve got 4 SR20 owners who say they’ll come, but I know there’s the potential for at least 6 between the SF Bay Area and SOuthern California. We could have a whole fleet–the largest gathering outside of Europe… :slight_smile:

What’s your tail number & position number? N149CD was sighted at MRY this weekend, are you joined up with Rich Meyer?

Hope you really enjoy your new bird.

In 160+ hours, no transponder issues. Second the last sentence about the SR20. WOW and this is how flying is supposed to be…

HK

Have those of you who now own replacement transponders had any recurrence of the trouble?

Yes, the transponder in our plane failed on departure from the factory, then the replacement unit (which may have been a reconditioned one) failed sometime on the trans-Pacific flight.

A new unit was fitted here and so far (fingers crossed) it has been OK. The #2 COM radio (GNC420) failed a couple of days ago, it is in the shop now. We also had a flap failure - nothing broken, it seems the proximity switch for the “up” position did not register, and the flap motor kept running, leading to the acutator running out at the end of the travel. The flaps were up and would not go down. This just required disassembly and adjustment to fix.

These have been the only significant problems in 250 hours flying. I expect we will overtake Walt as the high-time customer-owned SR20 soon.

These have been the only significant problems in 250 hours flying. I expect we will overtake Walt as the high-time customer-owned SR20 soon.

Clyde, not to sound pessimistic or like I’m looking for negatives, but din’t your bird have a minor :wink: engine problem and also some unusual priming issues?

Clyde, not to sound pessimistic or like I’m looking for negatives, but din’t your bird have a minor :wink: engine problem and also some unusual priming issues?

Didja have to bring the engine up?? FWIW, the new engine runs sweetly, no sign of problems. The priming issues seem to be just a matter of knowing the correct procedure (i.e. what actually works).

I hope you’ll consider coming to the “3rd West Coast SR20 Fly-In” at Santa Barbara September 30. So far we’ve got 4 SR20 owners who say they’ll come, but I know there’s the potential for at least 6 between the SF Bay Area and SOuthern California. We could have a whole fleet–the largest gathering outside of Europe… :slight_smile:

Kevin, not to question your enthusiasm in any way, but what motivates a 260SE owner to organize and promote an SR20 Fly In?

Kevin, not to question your enthusiasm in any way, but what motivates a 260SE owner to organize and promote an SR20 Fly In?

MICK, BESIDES KEVIN HAVING AN EARLY POSTION, HE GETS TO FLY REGULARLY IN THE SR20 ANY TIME HE WANTS (ED,DAVES,WALTS) SO AS FAR AS ENTHUSIASM HE MAY JUST LOVE TO FLY AND MEET PEOPLE WHO SHARE A COMMON INTEREST.

MICK, BESIDES KEVIN HAVING AN EARLY POSTION, HE GETS TO FLY REGULARLY IN THE SR20 ANY TIME HE WANTS (ED,DAVES,WALTS) SO AS FAR AS ENTHUSIASM HE MAY JUST LOVE TO FLY AND MEET PEOPLE WHO SHARE A COMMON INTEREST. AND WE ALL LIKE HIM…ED

Yup, as Ed has said, I’m position #249, love flying in general, and in addition am excited about the sr20 and intrigued by a small energetic company with an outstanding product and a mission like Cirrus Design. I’m also the frequent and grateful beneficiary of Walt’s, Ed’s, and Dave’s good fellowship and generosity with their own and their planes’ time.

And, even better, I don’t make messes in the house and am generally not an embarrassment to those with whom I am seen in public… :slight_smile:

Yup, as Ed has said, I’m position #249, love flying in general, and in addition am excited about the sr20 and intrigued by a small energetic company with an outstanding product and a mission like Cirrus Design. I’m also the frequent and grateful beneficiary of Walt’s, Ed’s, and Dave’s good fellowship and generosity with their own and their planes’ time.

Excellent! Didn’t realize you still had a Cirrus position. Also have no trouble understanding your interest in Todd Peterson’s planes - they are amazing… I’ve corresponded with him a bit and almost plunked down the bucks for a 260SE a couple of years ago, but decided to keep renting and wait for the Cirrus.

Wyoming is great for the open space and all, but I’m jealous of you folks in CA who can get together and do stuff like this. BTW, anyone coming through Cheyenne on an X-Country trip please don’t hesitate to look me up. Also, until I get my plane there is an empty hanger if anyone needs to put their bird to rest overnight under a roof. I know Clyde’s plane came through, and if I’d have known in advance I’d have been there will bells on…