Punked By The Fly-In Weather

Well, had 54T out of the hangar and rarin’ to go to Santa Maria yesterday but the pesky LA marine layer never burned off. 1200 OVC all day kept us VFRers at bay. Hope some of you could make it.

Chris

Well, had 54T out of the hangar and rarin’ to go to Santa Maria yesterday but the pesky LA marine layer never burned off. 1200 OVC all day kept us VFRers at bay. Hope some of you could make it.

Chris

Chris,

Sorry we missed you! We had a good turnout with 25 people and three Cirri (two SR20, one SR22). A splendid time was had by all, and the Mexican lunch provided some additional jet propulsion for the return flight. Many thanks to Kevin Moore for organizing the fly-in!

How did the Ocean City event turn out?

Cheers,

Roger

The ECCI was blessed with perfect weather (if you are a duck). It was about 700’ (@ minimums) overcast with temps in the upper 50’s - low 60’s and a gusty clammy wind.

Surprisingly, 3 Cirri (2 SR20’s & 1 SR22) made it in and two cars braved the elements and performed perfect instrument approaches. Some $100 hambergers were eaten and some hangars were flown. A good, if not chilly, time was had by all.

Those whose wings were too wet or too cold were missed. Mandatory rain checks were handed out.

Chris,

Sorry we missed you! We had a good turnout with 25 people and three Cirri (two SR20, one SR22). A splendid time was had by all, and the Mexican lunch provided some additional jet propulsion for the return flight. Many thanks to Kevin Moore for organizing the fly-in!

How did the Ocean City event turn out?

Cheers,

Roger

Marty described most of it - 700’ ceilings (forecast for 2500-3500 never came through) and 3 planes – 2 20’s and his 22.

As for head count, I believe I counted 7 owners/position holders, including those who drove in, and 5 or 6 additional family members.

As he said, a good time was had by all who made it!

Steve

There were no Valiants this time, only valiant efforts.

The infidels at L.A. Center had the audacity to give our fearless leader (Kevin Moore) a hard time when he made a pop-up IFR request on his way in. After a threatening to put him in a hold for 45 minutes, he demonstrated his VFR arrival skills. (Kevin, you should have just added “lifeguard” to your callsign!)

The Peoples Revolutionary Fly-In committee had a spy on scene at the ECCFI, but he failed at his duties and will be recalled to the Motherland (if Woor decides not to prosecute him for treason).

Glenn Beltz (SR20 #266)

PRCFI Spokesman

There were no Valiants this time, only valiant efforts.

The infidels at L.A. Center had the audacity to give our fearless leader (Kevin Moore) a hard time when he made a pop-up IFR request on his way in. After a threatening to put him in a hold for 45 minutes, he demonstrated his VFR arrival skills. (Kevin, you should have just added “lifeguard” to your callsign!)

The Peoples Revolutionary Fly-In committee had a spy on scene at the ECCFI, but he failed at his duties and will be recalled to the Motherland (if Woor decides not to prosecute him for treason).

Glenn Beltz (SR20 #266)

PRCFI Spokesman

The West Coast fly-in was definitely affected by persistent, low overcast in the L.A. to SBA area. My thanks to Kevin for arranging this meet and it was a pleasure to put faces to names of the other participants.

As it was, I had to take my Santa Monica passengers to Van Nuys, as SMO was below minimums (600 ocst) and getting worse late in the day. Not at all as forecast. Sound familiar?? Still, the trip was worth it and Santa Maria is a nice little strip. To have BOTH the #1 SR-20 owner and the #1 SR-22 owner present must count for something (even though they did NOT pick up the check ).

See you all again.

Steve

A fact not commonly known (we don’t like to brag) is that we actually had TWO ECCFI’s - Jeff Ippoliti flew into 47N in his very nice Tobago so that we could wait out the weather together.

Eventually we decided just to hold our own fly-in - after all, fully half the airplanes in attendance were Cirrus (mine), and all the Cirri present (N84MR) flew in perfect formation around the general area. Jeff and I did a perfect formation-takeoff - I flew Lead and Jeff flew Wing about 10 inches from my right shoulder; N84MR’s left wingtip stayed exactly 35.5 feet from its right wingtip at all times, all the way through the formation-landing, followed by a formation taxi-to-the-ramp.

Sorry y’all missed it! :slight_smile:

• Mike.

PS - Our passengers, Steve and Matt, stayed with us in the formation, with no prior training whatsoever.

… N84MR’s left wingtip stayed exactly 35.5 feet from its right wingtip at all times, all the way through the formation-landing, followed by a formation taxi-to-the-ramp.

Sorry y’all missed it! :slight_smile:

• Mike.

PS - Our passengers, Steve and Matt, stayed with us in the formation, with no prior training whatsoever.

Mike,

Did you announce yourself to ATC as “Flight of one?”

-Mike