Production

I am considering putting an order in for a SR20 {or 22} I am a very low time; working on my IFR pilot. I was able to test fly the SR22 about one month ago, greased 3 landings and couldin’t stop grinning for 2 days. My wife who at the time had all of 5 hrs toward her private licences did a better job on landing the thing than me! But I have some concerns about production time and maintence. Any thoughts?

But I have some concerns about production time and maintence.

What concerns exactly? Maintenance on the SR20/22 should be cheaper than an older aircraft, or even a new Cessna. The 2-year warranty will put a cap on maintenance costs for the first two years.

Production time? If you’re referring to the wait for delivery, this is primarily a factor of the aircraft’s success and should be seen as a strong endorsment by the market of the plane and the company behind it. If you just can’t wait, either buy an earlier position (they are still, and will continue to become, available) at a premium, or buy something else.

Clyde, Chill, I was referring to the ability to OBTAINE service. The 12 to 18 mo. delivery time table fits my economic needs just about right. I am just concerned it will strech out longer. And if delivery doesn’t step up to the 1 a day as promised, and eventually the 2 a day as needed, can the company remain viable?

Clyde, Chill, I was referring to the ability to OBTAINE service

I’ve not heard of any problem there, so far. Certainly the customer service dept. at CD are very helpful. They just recently express-shipped a replacement Arnav display to Australia because ours did not display the Stormscope info. I personally think all it needed was a software upgrade, but Cirrus (not Arnav) shipped a complete new display, which fixed the problem.

They have approved various service centers, and you should check with them to find out if there is one in your area. With the increasing fleet size, I doubt that will be a problem.

I am just concerned it will strech out longer.

Recently, promised delivery dates have been met, or bettered. CD seem to have learnt not to be too optimistic.

And if delivery doesn’t step up to the 1 a day as promised, and eventually the 2 a day as needed, can the company remain viable?

No, they must build at least one a day to break even, according to most people’s reckoning. But they don’t seem to be far off. Again, the large order backlog would seem to indicate that people are voting with their deposits. CD have all the appearance of a financially strong company. But finally, that decision (which of course still carries some risk) is up to you.