Prelim Accident Report re: FXE

Agree Robert. This is not an easy area to reach in flight. and not what you want when in IMC.

In reply to:

I haven’t tried doing it either under the Radomsky blanket or using the position screen ALT readout to keep pitch. That’s on the list for upcoming practice.

Curt,
FWIW… I found that it was easier to react to the heading info than the pitch info when I was using the 196; but I needed a technique considerably different than I’ve ever used for any “normal” partial panel exercise. I found the lag to be confounding at first, but eventually I got the hang of it - I needed small, jerky corrections, then force myself to WAIT to see the result of each. Feedbackloopus Interruptus.

It was exhausting, only partly because it was hot and stuffy under the Radomsky blanket.

• Mike.

In reply to:

I needed a technique considerably different than I’ve ever used for any “normal” partial panel exercise.

Were you controlling heading with the yoke? When I’ve tried ‘deep partial’ flying, I’ve found it easier to control heading with the rudders, as it doesn’t disrupt my attitude; I find banking a SR22 usually causes a pitch-up.

In reply to:

Were you controlling heading with the yoke? When I’ve tried ‘deep partial’ flying, I’ve found it easier to control heading with the rudders, as it doesn’t disrupt my attitude; I find banking a SR22 usually causes a pitch-up.

Curt,

Yes, I was! Using the rudders is a good idea - I’ll try that next practice session. Thanks!

• Mike.