Plane covers, redux

Well, I’m now on the waiter list, but only until the end of this month. I’m starting to put together the list of stuff to go with the plane when I pick it up.

#1 on the list is the plane cover (it’ll be tied down outdoors in California). The folks at Bruce’s covers (http://www.aircraftcovers.com/pdf/sr20.pdf)

have 2 models of the basic cover; a 3 strap that covers the parachute cover, and a 2 strap that doesn’t. They said the early model SR-20’s had a seam on the parachute cover that made the 3 strap model necessary, but I assume that for current production the 2 strap model is all that is needed, and is easier to put on and take off. It seems the other most useful goodies from Bruce would be the sunshades, pitot cover, and engine plugs.

What else needs to go in a starter kit for the plane; tie down’s, chocks, cans of spare fluids, ??? I’d love to hear what people have taken with them to Duluth for the ride home.

-Curt

(3 days away from my PP-SEL check ride!)

I arrived in Duluth (twice now) with a horrendous amount of crap. Start with tons of charts, though if you’re just getting your PP-ASEL you won’t be needing several cubic feet of instrument approach plates. Chocks, a GATS jar (the plane comes with a wee little fuel sampling cup, but I don’t like spilling it on the tarmac), an oil filler funnel/hose gizmo from the auto parts store, a portable oxygen system, two flashlights, four headsets, a CD player and CDs, a bungee cord (the infamous Walt Conley patented headset retainer), and a couple of big tupperware storage boxes to hold it all. It helps if you bring everything in collapsible luggage…

You should be able to buy a few quarts of straight 50W mineral oil from North Country Aviation at DLH for a moderately extortionate price.

I’m sure there’s more…

What else needs to go in a starter kit for the plane; tie down’s, chocks, cans of spare fluids, ??? I’d love to hear what people have taken with them to Duluth for the ride home.

No one likes to think about it, but you should be equipped for survival in the unlikely event of an off-airport landing (or chute deployment) in remote areas, which, as a fellow Southern Californian, you know there’s a lot of out here. Having a parachute is only step one in surviving. Steps 2 and 3 are just as important: getting found, and surviving until you are found.

I highly recommend Doug Ritter’s http://www.equipped.comEquipped to Survive website. Doug goes kinda nuts, but you can pick the most important items. IÂ’d recommend:

http://www.epcamps.com/page323.htmldeHavilland Survival Kit. Not cheap, but thatÂ’s where the best money is probably spent.

http://www.rescuestreamer.comRescue Streamer. Compact little device is better than virtually any signaling device with the possible exception of a signal mirror.

http://www.ledlite.comLED flashlights. Available from many sources.

http://landfallnav.stores.yahoo.com/landfallnav/globalfix.htmlGPIRB. This is pretty much the best rescue beacon available. The ELT in the airplane is just about worthless. This is a 406MHz satellite beacon with a built-in GPS that will uniquely locate you to within 100 feet for likely immediate rescue. Overkill? Yeah, maybe. But if it saves you and your family youÂ’ll have it bronzed. (You could get a conventional EPIRB instead and save some $.)

Other fairly obvious stuff – some water, warm clothing, etc.

Just cram this stuff in a corner of the baggage compartment. DoesnÂ’t take up much room and doesnÂ’t weigh much.

It is easy to put this off, but you’ll sleep/fly easier knowing you are prepared. It would be pretty dumb to survive using the ‘chute and die from exposure.

Ditto the BRUCE aircraft covers! I just ordered one for my new SR-22 (#26) because of the high quality of a BRUCE cover on my Trinidad. I have used it for 5 years and it still looks new…great fit. Bruce will add your name or N number also.

Pick-up and first trip report to follow soon. What a great Aircraft, built by great people!

Denis Crowther,

Ft. Lauderdale (FXE) N726CD

P.S. Order the one that does not cover the Chute area…acording to Cirrus.

I bought one of Lynn Cunningham’s covers (http://www.CunninghamAircraftCovers.com) for the Cirrus I am partner in. It is my fifth Cunningham cover. I keep coming back because Lynn stands behind his top notch work, and his prices are reasonable.

Personally, I think Bruce makes good covers, but Lynn’s fit better.

No one likes to think about it, but you should be equipped for survival in the unlikely event of an off-airport landing (or chute deployment) in remote areas, which, as a fellow Southern Californian, you know there’s a lot of out here. Having a parachute is only step one in surviving. Steps 2 and 3 are just as important: getting found, and surviving until you are found.

I highly recommend Doug Ritter’s http://www.equipped.comEquipped to Survive website. Doug goes kinda nuts, but you can pick the most important items. IÂ’d recommend:

http://www.epcamps.com/page323.htmldeHavilland Survival Kit. Not cheap, but thatÂ’s where the best money is probably spent.

http://www.rescuestreamer.comRescue Streamer. Compact little device is better than virtually any signaling device with the possible exception of a signal mirror.

http://www.ledlite.comLED flashlights. Available from many sources.

http://landfallnav.stores.yahoo.com/landfallnav/globalfix.htmlGPIRB. This is pretty much the best rescue beacon available. The ELT in the airplane is just about worthless. This is a 406MHz satellite beacon with a built-in GPS that will uniquely locate you to within 100 feet for likely immediate rescue. Overkill? Yeah, maybe. But if it saves you and your family youÂ’ll have it bronzed. (You could get a conventional EPIRB instead and save some $.)

Other fairly obvious stuff – some water, warm clothing, etc.

Just cram this stuff in a corner of the baggage compartment. DoesnÂ’t take up much room and doesnÂ’t weigh much.

It is easy to put this off, but you’ll sleep/fly easier knowing you are prepared. It would be pretty dumb to survive using the ‘chute and die from exposure.

Gordon: Good Points. Doug’s site (&) book are pretty good. For anyone with no training, it is a good primer. Here are some other points and items to consider:

• The three most importants points are to survive the landing; stabilize all medical problems, & communicate. If you get a good call off before landing, you will be in much better shape. Think about the difference in your radio’s range at 5,000’ and at ground level. Also stay with the palne if possible. It is easier to spot, may provide some shelter and other resources and besides, traveling requires a lot of energy. The S&R folks will begin looking for you where they think you are, not where you may have wandered.

• Where are you flying? Design your own kit for the conditions you are likely to encounter. Repack your survival kit seasonally if necessary.

• Signal mirror, the BEST single singaling device. Doesn’t need battereis either.

• Bug repellent. 100% DEET, roll-on preferable. Apply to collars, cuffs, as needed.

• Sun block. SPF 30 or higher water proof & use it. Get the heavy white stuff. You won’t be worried about looks.

• Aluminized space blankets. Very small & provide a variety of uses - warmth, shelter, signalling.

• Water proof matches/pre-packaged tinder cubes. Fire is great stuff (signalling, warmth & it does wonders for your psyche.)

• Whistle. They really work, are very small, and even if you are weak, wou can make a lot of noise.

• small gyroscopic flare. It is about the size of a penlight and comes with about 5 AA Battery size flares.

• dye marker. Good for water, sand or snow. You will be surpiorsed how hard a life raft is to see on the ocean. this is a little bigget than a D battery.

• Iodine tablets, (& maybe a collapsable jug for water. The bigger the mouth the better.) Strain water through cloth first and then use the tablets. Let 'em sit for 1/2 hour before drinking. The water won’t taste good, but it won’t kill you either. (Always use the tablets unless you are getting the water from a water fountain.) DON’T EVER drink salt water or eat snow. (I hope I don’t have to say anything about yellow snow!)

• Try everything out before you pack it into the recess of your plane & then about once a year. This stuff won’t help unless you know how to use it. Also by trying ot out once a year, you will see if it still works.

• Replace all batteries once a year, whether or not you have used them or they are dead. Give 'the old ones to your kids or a neighbor’s. when you need this stuff, you want it to work for as long as possible.

• Make sure everything has a string and especially if you’re in a raft, tie everything on.

-Food is over-rated. Water is essential. You can easily live a day or two without food with no harmful effects. If you eat, you will need even more water. If you think you will be resuced in 1 or 2 days and you have extra room maybe a sports bar or 3 will be more than enough.

The stuff I’ve mentioned will weigh less than 5 pounds and fit into a small military surplus mechanics tool bag. Or better yet, buy a mesh vest with many pockets. If you fly over water a lot, there is a place called Sterns which sells a vest specifically designed for flyers. It has lots of pockets and contains an inflatable life vest.

As far as first aid, you can make your own or buy a prepackaged kit,. The preppackaged type tend to be expensive and include a bunch of stuff that you probably won’t need. One good addition, which I’ve never seen in any kit is a padded aluminum splint. This thing comnes is in a 3" roll and can be used for most breaks or sprains. If you find yourself in a situation where you have to make a splint, ALWAYS pad it.

Again, for the first aid kit, think about what type of inujuries you will have. Personally, I’m most concerned about breaks, lacerations and burns. Be prepared. Also, consider if you (or your passengers) will know how to use the first aid stuff, or will be willing to use it. If not, don’t bring it. It will be extra dead weight.

Good luck & I hope you never need this advice.

Marty

Marty and Gordon,

What a great collection of survival gear tips! I’ve put a copy into my SR20 Notes, and I’ll be revising my own survival kit, with your suggestions in mind, when I get home.

Thanks!

• Mike.
  • small gyroscopic flare. It is about the size of a penlight and comes with about 5 AA Battery size flares.

I’ve been assembling my emergency kit for some time as my x-country flights have been getting longer. I haven’t found a source for small flares such as you mention; any suggestions? Also, are there any restrictions on carrying flares in an aircraft, either GA or commercial?

I’ve been assembling my emergeny kit as my x-c flights have been getting longer. I haven’t found a source for small flares such as you describe, any ideas? And, are there any restrictions on carrying flares aboard aircraft, either GA or commercial?

-Curt

finger trouble.

Here is some info lifted from doug’s site (which incidently is improving and definately worth a visit:

“Pains-Wessex and Orion make mini-flare kits which use a “pen” launcher onto which the small flare cartridges either latch or screw, respectively. The Pains-Wessex “Miniflare 3” ($74) comes in a nifty, but heavy, rubber case which holds the launcher and eight flares. The Orion “Pocket Rocket” ($20) comes with a flimsy zip-lock plastic bag and three flares. An optional so-called “pouch” is a piece of foam with elastic strips sew onto the surface to hold the launcher and six flares. You can buy extra or replacement flares for the Pocket Rocket (3 for $9.50) but not for the Miniflare 3. While I like the quality of the Miniflare 3 and its well designed case, the Pocket Rocket was a marginally better performer and a much better value.
The launchers are similar, with a spring-loaded “knob” on the side which is pulled down and then released to fire the flare. The Pocket Rocket has a slot at the bottom of the slide so you can rotate the knob sideways where it is held cocked and ready to fire. A small projection, designed to prevent accidental firing, makes it somewhat difficult to fire it off when you want to. Neither is easy to fire, especially with cold hands or if the survivor hasn’t got strong hands. Some of my volunteer testers ended up using two hands, one to hold the launcher, the other to work the firing pin. I am aware that some testers have had misfires because the trigger wasn’t pulled all the way down and was released prematurely. “

“My recommendation for a pyrotechnic device for aviation life raft use is the Skyblazer XLT. In a raft they will serve to attract the attention of a passing boat or one being vectored to you by SAR. I’d recommend that a minimum of six be packed. If space is a real premium, the Orion Pocket Rocket would be my fallback. If space and weight are less of a concern, you might want to include a few Pains Wessex Mk 6 hand flares.

For land use, I recommend flares only if flights will take you over terrain which offers no possibility of making a signal fire. If space and weight are tight, a few Orion or Skyblazer hand flares and some Skyblazer smokes would be a good bet. For those convinced they must have aerial flares, the XLT Wilderness Flare is the best value for pilots."

I would add that as these items are very short lived, you would only want to use it once a rescue vehicle is in sight and heading towards you - when the light, smoke and motion are likely to catch one of your rescuers’ eyes. If you are on the open water or under a canopy of trees, you will be very difficult to spot.

finger trouble.

Ditto the BRUCE aircraft covers! I just ordered one for my new SR-22 (#26) because of the high quality of a BRUCE cover on my Trinidad. I have used it for 5 years and it still looks new…great fit. Bruce will add your name or N number also.

Pick-up and first trip report to follow soon. What a great Aircraft, built by great people!

Denis Crowther,

Ft. Lauderdale (FXE) N726CD

P.S. Order the one that does not cover the Chute area…acording to Cirrus.

I have the one that coveres the chute area and
think it is great. No problem taking on and off and if parked outdoors like i am in Santa Monica it offers more protection. I also have engine plugs which work fine. If you have Bruce cover sunshades are not necessary except for trips out of

town if you are not bringin along the cover. Which by the way if you are weighs about ten pounds.