new SR20

I have a student who is getting a new SR20 in the first quarter of 2003. Any recommended add-on’s or comments about the “version 2.1” package would be appreciated - specifically, the 3 bladed prop and the Sandel EHSI.

In reply to:

Any recommended add-on’s or comments about the “version 2.1” package would be appreciated

Given the reported reliability of the Century electric HSI, I think the Sandel is a no-brainer. Three blade is an emotional choice that only the prospective owner can evaluate. There is no measurable difference. It’s all about looks vs. $3000.

I would add EMAx. Stormscope, Datalink, and Flightwatch depend on how he plans to use the plane.

Leather vs. cloth is personal preference. I think most ship with leather

In reply to:

Three blade is an emotional choice that only the prospective owner can evaluate. There is no measurable difference. It’s all about looks vs. $3000.

I agree with Michael that it’s an emotional choice. I’d say that logic should lean one in favor of a 2-blade, but since when are our aviation purchases driven by logic?

Other factors to consider:

Weight - 3 blade is (21 lbs??) heavier

Maintenance cost - over the life of the airplane, you can count on spending more to maintain the extra blade

I’ve had the opportunity to fly two identically equipped airplanes over the same route, one after the other; and I do believe I could tell that the three blade is slightly quieter… but we’re talking nuance.

Personally, for my SR-20, getting the 3-blade is the one purchase decision I sometimes regret - mostly because I’d rather have had the extra 3 grand in my pocket and an extra 21 lbs of useful load.

• Mike.

MIke, right.
I know that three blade prop will be “mandatory” here in Europe thank to thair low noise respect to blade. In Europe noise level is more restrictive than in USA especially in some country.
SR prop profile (quite new) help to encrease take off/climb, without loose some knot in cruise, tipically of previosly 3/blade…