Another Out of Lurker Mode

Thanks to all of you! I’ve learned so much from reading your postings and exchanges. I soloed 30 years ago in a C150 and again 3 mos ago in an Archer. (For many years thought I had to have 20:20 corrected, only 20:30) Finding the learning process much slower at 47 than at 16! Planning to get my private ticket then straight on to Instrument to take full advantage of this great plane and be as safe as I can.

Cirrus recently sent me the config/option choice package and will soon give me a firm delivery date (around Apr/May 2000, I think?) I am going to order the “C” config with leather, but have a question about 2 vs. 3-blade prop. We all agree that 3-blade is sexier, what are the other benefits? No significant performance diff? Is 3-blade quieter, by how much? 15 lbs. heavier but does it improve CG options? Better ground clearance? (only 2 inches?)

Another question: Does anyone know when we will get pricing on Eng/Fuel Mgmt and Weather data-link options and when Cirrus might begin installing them at the factory? If retrofitted later, will Duluth be the only install location?

Writing this after putting the presents under the tree, eating Santa’s cookies and milk, and writing Santa’s note to my 6 yr old daughter. If any of you respond to me in the next few days, I’ll know you’re as fanatical about this plane as I have been since I first read about it. Hard to believe it’s getting close.

I think this makes two SR20 “owners” in Saratoga, Ca with me and William Klett(90) and I count at least 4 in the greater Bay area, maybe 5 if Walt settles in Monterey! Practically a fleet :wink:

Happy Holidays to all and to all a good night!

Scott K.

Thanks to all of you! I’ve learned so much from reading your postings and exchanges. I soloed 30 years ago in a C150 and again 3 mos ago in an Archer. (For many years thought I had to have 20:20 corrected, only 20:30) Finding the learning process much slower at 47 than at 16! Planning to get my private ticket then straight on to Instrument to take full advantage of this great plane and be as safe as I can.

Cirrus recently sent me the config/option choice package and will soon give me a firm delivery date (around Apr/May 2000, I think?) I am going to order the “C” config with leather, but have a question about 2 vs. 3-blade prop. We all agree that 3-blade is sexier, what are the other benefits? No significant performance diff? Is 3-blade quieter, by how much? 15 lbs. heavier but does it improve CG options? Better ground clearance? (only 2 inches?)

Another question: Does anyone know when we will get pricing on Eng/Fuel Mgmt and Weather data-link options and when Cirrus might begin installing them at the factory? If retrofitted later, will Duluth be the only install location?

Writing this after putting the presents under the tree, eating Santa’s cookies and milk, and writing Santa’s note to my 6 yr old daughter. If any of you respond to me in the next few days, I’ll know you’re as fanatical about this plane as I have been since I first read about it. Hard to believe it’s getting close.

I think this makes two SR20 “owners” in Saratoga, Ca with me and William Klett(90) and I count at least 4 in the greater Bay area, maybe 5 if Walt settles in Monterey! Practically a fleet :wink:

Scott K.

Hey, Scott —

I’m not in Saratoga . . . but am in Los Altos. I’m position holder 464, with delivery scheduled in January 2002.

Question: Where do you intend to keep your SR20?

Best,

Rich

Scott K.

Scott: Thanks for the dates. I’d love to be kept up to date on when deliveries are scheduled. I’m way out at position #158, and have long ago discovered that the best estimate of my delivery date is the actual out the door progress that is seen, not that is proposed. If you actually get your aircraft in May, then perhaps Cirrus will actually be on an every 5 day delivery schedule by then. Keep up the reports! aa

Rich,

With you we now have eight SR20 Owners/Position Holders in the greater Bay Area(Marin - Monterey) to my knowledge, incl. Kevin Moore(249) in Palo Alto. This is really a popular plane, #464 Wow!

I’m looking for a place now. Very difficult to get any space at San Jose (trying) but I might have a chance where I am taking my instruction at Reid Hillview. They may be building some new “T” hangers next summer, not committed yet.

Do you have any good lines on space locally?

Thanks,

Scott K.

Hey, Scott —

I’m not in Saratoga . . . but am in Los Altos. I’m position holder 464, with delivery scheduled in January 2002.

Best,

Rich

The traffic about Bay Area airports is very interesting – and re-raises a question that transcends the local conditions around SF. It is: do any of the current or near-future owners plan to keep their planes outdoors? Walt, Christopher – are you both hangaring at the moment? What has Cirrus told you about the consequences of outdoor storage?

By the time I get one of these planes, I will probably be back in the Wash DC area, where GA hangars are about as scarce as around SF. Therefore wondering what the outdoor experience would be like.

Thanks, Jim F

Rich,

With you we now have eight SR20 Owners/Position Holders in the greater Bay Area(Marin - Monterey) to my knowledge, incl. Kevin Moore(249) in Palo Alto. This is really a popular plane, #464 Wow!

I’m looking for a place now. Very difficult to get any space at San Jose (trying) but I might have a chance where I am taking my instruction at Reid Hillview. They may be building some new “T” hangers next summer, not committed yet.

Do you have any good lines on space locally?

Thanks,

Scott K.

Hey, Scott —

Scott & Rich:

I have been looking recently for hangar/tiedown space because Tina and I, having wearied a bit of flying club rentals which are unpredictably suitable for IFR, are buying a plane now while we wait an indeterminate time for the SR20. While I doubt that what I’ve heard is the definitive last word, here goes:

SJC: small aircraft GA is likely on the way out at SJC, although I’m not sure of the time frame.

RHV: There is a hangar waiting list; about $318–one month’s rent–to get on it, of which all but $20-25 is refundable if you change your mind. The fellow who took my deposit told me to expect at least a two year wait before it would be likely to get “the call.” I’m considering withdrawing my deposit because RHV is virtually unreachable from Palo Alto anytime near rush hour for “after work” flying.

PAO: Also a long hangar wait list, and then you’ll pay ~$450/month for a single hangar or ~$230/month for a hangar space (holds 3 planes) which you share with two other aircraft. That’s what the market will bear around here. Tiedowns are ~$95/month. Roy Aero at PAO manages the hangars. I have decided to put the plane at PAO, use Victor Aviation for maintenance, and do the tiedown thing while I wait for a shared hangar. You can bet I’m having the plane corrosion-proofed!

SQL: Apparently there is no de facto working system; I was told there’s an “old boys’ network” with under-the-table subletting to friends. I hope it’s not true, but in any case I was led to believe that if you put a deposit down right away, your heirs may be able to get a hangar. SQL is a really nice airport with the misfortune to be the target of a few loudly outspoken airport noise critics who seem to find friendly ears among the San Mateo County supervisors.

I would be interested to meet the other members of the Bay Area Cirrus SR20 Owner Wanna-Be Society. So far I’ve met Walt Conley and Bill Klett. Perhaps we could all meet at WVI for lunch some Saturday?

Kevin

I would be interested to meet the other members of the Bay Area Cirrus SR20 Owner Wanna-Be Society. So far I’ve met Walt Conley and Bill Klett. Perhaps we could all meet at WVI for lunch some Saturday?

Kevin

I’m on the hangar list at WVI, having moved from number 152 (in July 1998, about a ten year wait) to number 43 (at least a couple of years to wait) primarily due to the construction of 78 T hangars and several corporate hangars. My guess is that I’ll be doing a month-by-month sublet of a chunk of corporate space until my number comes up.

I used to think that I’d just have to wait for the current hangar renters to die, but upon closer inspection of the rules discovered that even dying isn’t enough to lose your hangar–the heir to your aircraft has the option of inheriting the hangar. Sigh.

A get-together at WVI would be cool (I’ll take my venerable 172 around the pattern once so that I can feel like I flew in).

A get-together at WVI would be cool (I’ll take my venerable 172 around the pattern once so that I can feel like I flew in).

OK, how about Saturday 15 January or Sunday 16 January? WVI at ~12:00 for lunch at Zuniga’s? Anyone interested in showing up please reply by e-mail to me or Dave Katz–no need to bore the entire planet’s contingent of SR20-philes with banter about the arrangements…

Kevin

OK, how about Saturday 15 January or Sunday 16 January? WVI at ~12:00 for lunch at Zuniga’s? Anyone interested in showing up please reply by e-mail to me or Dave Katz–no need to bore the entire planet’s contingent of SR20-philes with banter about the arrangements…

I’m unavailable on 1/16 but could do 1/15…

Therefore wondering what the outdoor experience would be like.

Thanks, Jim F

Well as fate would have it, your truly has been lucky enough to find a hanger! Even in Monterey they are scarce too, but Del Monte Aviation has some they manage in addition to the Airport Commission plus I understand there are some hangers at Salinas PLUS Marina airport (converted military - Ft Ord) will have some hangers. My concern about Marina is security. I suspect that may improve over time, but …

Cirrus has indicated and I suspect it is true that the SR20 will weather rather well. I would only be concerned about hot weather and direct sun into the cockpit area. Sun Shields are definite must … I am still looking for them.

Walt, thanks for the info. I imagine I speak for the whole cadre of Wannabes in saying that we will gratefully receive any further info you may turn up on Sun Shields. Happy New Year, Jim Fallows