New airspace restrictions for NYC, DC

See http://www.aopa.org/http://www.aopa.org/ for this developing story.

The expanded restrictions include the airspace over the Disney theme parks. See http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/2003/03-1-128x.htmlhttp://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/2003/03-1-128x.html

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 244CD Make/Model: SR20 Description: 2001 CIRRUS SR-20
Date: 03/16/2002 Time: 1731

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Substantial

DESCRIPTION
AIRCRAFT DEPARTED LEXINGTON RWY 4, REQUESTING APPROACHES, ADVISED HE HAD A
PROBLEM, PULLED HIS CHUTE, AND ACFT CRASHED IN A FIELD 2-4 MILES NE OF
LEXINGTON, KY

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: SA 161645Z 02010KT 5SM BR OVC006 07/06 A3015

Why special protection for a mouse? Did Bush declare war and then record one of those “I’m going to Disneyland” commercials?

Cheers
Rick

Here’s what AOPA had to say to the FAA about the “Mickey Mouse Airspace” restrictions…

In reply to:

Why special protection for Disney?

Cause it’s a rich mouse![:)]

In Reply To:
Why special protection for a mouse? Did Bush declare war and then record one of those “I’m going to Disneyland” commercials?

No, its because, since its going to be such a MICKEY MOUSE operation (haven’t you ever noticed the similarities in George W.'s and Mickey’s ears?), the Iraqi war will have to be run from a command center at Disney headquarters. Explains why Orlando as well!

In reply to:

No, its because, since its going to be such a MICKEY MOUSE operation (haven’t you ever noticed the similarities in George W.'s and Mickey’s ears?), the Iraqi war will have to be run from a command center at Disney headquarters.

Are you trolling for a response from me? Maybe I’m flattering myself, and hopefully others speak out. Anyway, your remarks about GW, and by inference those in political and military leadership positions within his administration, are embarrassing, and I’ll leave it at that.

Bill,
Actually, Mickey’s ears are rather more attractive. (They also have the remarkable property that no matter how Mickey moves his head, you always see his ears face-on. For a short time in the 1940s the Disney animators tried drawing Mickey’s ears in perspective, but it just didn’t look right.)

It’s fascinating — during the Clinton administration the right-wing set went out of their way to lampoon Bill and Hillary in every way they could, including subtle and literate humor about such things as the thickness of Hillary’s ankles. But nowadays, if you make the mildest of jokes about the Shrubster, some of those same knee-slappin’, laugh-a-minute folks react as though you just urinated in the holy water font at the Sistine Chapel. Kinda sad, 'cause in these dark and twisted times we need all the humor we can get.

Yrs. in Fear & Loathing,
Roger

Can not resist…[:)]

In reply to:

haven’t you ever noticed the similarities in George W.'s and Mickey’s ears?

The shrub resembles other critters as well…

Bill Dobson wrote:

No, its because, since its going to be such a MICKEY MOUSE operation (haven’t you ever noticed the similarities in George W.'s and Mickey’s ears?), the Iraqi war will have to be run from a command center at Disney headquarters.

In reply to:

Are you trolling for a response from me? Maybe I’m flattering myself, and hopefully others speak out. Anyway, your remarks about GW, and by inference those in political and military leadership positions within his administration, are embarrassing, and I’ll leave it at that.

And I would say that between his deft handling of the trim cartridge problem, and his quote above, that Bill has a lot to be proud of!

Seriously, though - my father immigrated to this country 6 years before I was born; I was born here and have been a patriotic, flag-waving, proud American citizen ever since.

Never in my life, however, have I felt more ashamed and embarrassed of my country than I do right now.

Now, to try to turn this thread a bit more on-topic (I hate to have TOO many off-topic threads going on at the same time!), it looks like NYC-area pilots will be the ones most affected by the new NOTAMs.

It can be a bit of a pain trying to get a clearance inside an ADIZ, but I would encourage the NYC area pilots to give it a try - things around the DC area are workable, though frustrating (at least for those of us not based at one of the “DC3” airports). Don’t be afraid to fly just because of the new NOTAMs. Just be patient, and prepared for some delays.

Steve

In Reply To:
I’m embarrassed for you

Don’t be. It’ll only upset your stomach and won’t affect my opinions in the slightest.[:)]

Perhaps at the annual migration, under Steve’s careful refereeing, we can have a few drinks and I’ll give you a fair chance to make me see things differently while explaining why I think the way I do. But for now, I’ll try to keep on topic and keep a lid on my (bad, Very Bad) attempts at political humor.

In reply to:

And I would say that between his deft handling of the trim cartridge problem, and his quote above, that Bill has a lot to be proud of!

Seriously, though - my father immigrated to this country 6 years before I was born; I was born here and have been a patriotic, flag-waving, proud American citizen ever since.

Never in my life, however, have I felt more ashamed and embarrassed of my country than I do right now.

If I read something into Bill’s post that was not intended, I apologize. I know he adds humor into a lot of his posts. As far as your embarrassment, you have nothing to be ashamed about, so don’t worry! [:)]

James,

I don’t think any apology is necessary… Given that you’re from MN, are you going to be at the Minnesota Migration in June? Would be nice to hold these political discussions over dinner or drinks!

Steve

But nowadays, if you make the mildest of jokes about the Shrubster, some of those same knee-slappin’, laugh-a-minute folks react as though you just urinated in the holy water font at the Sistine Chapel. Kinda sad, 'cause in these dark and twisted times we need all the humor we can get.

I don’t think this is unusual at all. While politicians are generally considered fair game for such ridicule, it has always been taboo to make fun of the, uh, intellectually challenged.

-Mike

Mike,

ZINNNNNG!

Yrs. in Fear & Loathing,
Roger

Another can not resist [:)]

In reply to:

always been taboo to make fun of the, uh, intellectually challenged

And we need only take note of what the shrub reads…

In reply to:

Perhaps at the annual migration, under Steve’s careful refereeing, we can have a few drinks and I’ll give you a fair chance to make me see things differently while explaining why I think the way I do.

Fortunately for all of you, I’m getting married on June 13th (yes, Friday the 13th), and even though my future bride loves to fly, I would be very hard pressed to take her to Duluth on our honeymoon! (I can’t wait for the wisecracks about her choice of groom!) [:)] Maybe we should start a new forum on ‘Politics for Pilots’ so as not to offend others with our ideas!

Fly safe.

James,

Congratulations! Are you sure you don’t want to reconsider that honeymoon in Duluth? It’s important to establish priorities early on in the relationship.

Around here, the stereotypical low-rent honeymoon is “Rock City”, a tourist trap, er, attraction, in the Chattanooga, TN area. They are perhaps most famous for painting barn roofs with “See Rock City” in Tennessee and surrounding states. For those hungry for more information, try this link.

-Mike

In reply to:

Fortunately for all of you, I’m getting married on June 13th (yes, Friday the 13th), and even though my future bride loves to fly, I would be very hard pressed to take her to Duluth on our honeymoon!

Congrats James, you lucky dog!..pause…ah…on having a wife that loves to fly.

PS: 13 is my lucky number!