Mineta Re-opens Skies

Secretary Mineta Re-opens Skies to General Aviation

Secretary of Transportation Norman Y. Mineta has approved restoration of the next phase of national air service, allowing certain general aviation flights back into the air effective at 4:00 p.m. Eastern time today.

“Effective today, general aviation — that important segment of aviation consisting of privately owned and operated aircraft — will be allowed to resume flights operating under Instrument Flight Rules, or IFR,” Secretary Mineta said. “Under IFR, certified pilots operate under direction from air traffic controllers, after filing specific flight plans with the FAA.”

Temporarily, however, general aviation flights will not be allowed to fly within 25 nautical miles of New York City and Washington, D.C. Those restrictions will be kept in place until further notice as officials continue to assess the recovery situation in those cities over the near term.

The Secretary’s decision today also permits the FAA to allow private aircraft owners to evacuate their aircraft under visual flight rules from harm’s way during the predicted approach of Tropical Storm Gabrielle within the states of Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and Alabama.

Secretary Mineta said he is hopeful that the remaining general aviation flights, those operating under Visual Flight Rules, can resume flying later this weekend. Commercial flights were allowed to resume on Thursday, contingent upon airline and airport compliance with heightened security standards established by the Federal Aviation Administration.

“We are restoring the national airspace system in a phased mariner, after careful evaluation of the safety and security issues in each sector,” the Secretary said. “Again, I ask the patience of the flying public. Please remember that we are recovering from a massive disruption and widespread shock. But very soon we will work our way back to full recovery.”

Interesting parochial question:

KGAI, Montgomery County/Gaithersburg, where my plane is now based (plus Steve Lin’s), is 19NM from the DCA vor, 20NM from National airport itself.

If flight is prohibited within 25NM of the DCA and JFK airports, whether defined by VORs or the airport itself, this would suggest no operations from airports like GAI. Right?

I had actually been planning a trip to Boston this weekend before the disastrous events. I had scrubbed the plans for other reasons, but I wonder whether this means a lockdown at nearby airports like GAI.

Temporarily, however, general aviation flights will not be allowed to fly within 25 nautical miles of New York City and Washington, D.C. Those restrictions will be kept in place until further notice as officials continue to assess the recovery situation in those cities over the near term.

My fear is that with only a handful of airports affected by these restrictions (including mine!), the clout will not be present to get these TFRs removed anytime soon… :frowning:

Steve

Secretary Mineta Re-opens Skies to General Aviation

Secretary of Transportation Norman Y. Mineta has approved restoration of the next phase of national air service, allowing certain general aviation flights back into the air effective at 4:00 p.m. Eastern time today.

I was out the door at 4:01 and wheels up before 5:00. As I was enjoying my SR22 and watching a beautiful sunset, I was reminded of how fortunate we all are to live in this country.

Jeff

Just called the FSS:

1. 25NM zone defined by the DCA and JFK vors.

2. NO operations permitted to or from airports within that zone. (Including GAI, and half a dozen others in the DC area.)

3. One exception in DC area: Manassas, KHEF. Hmmm, I’d been considering relocating my plane there, because it’s a Cirrus service center, and a better overall airport than KGAI. Wish I’d done so several days ago!

KGAI, Montgomery County/Gaithersburg, where my plane is now based (plus Steve Lin’s), is 19NM from the DCA vor, 20NM from National airport itself.

If flight is prohibited within 25NM of the DCA and JFK airports, whether defined by VORs or the airport itself, this would suggest no operations from airports like GAI. Right?

I had actually been planning a trip to Boston this weekend before the disastrous events. I had scrubbed the plans for other reasons, but I wonder whether this means a lockdown at nearby airports like GAI.

Jim,

The NOTAM reads this way:

!FDC 1/9936 ZDC DC… FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS WASHINGTON, DC EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. PURSUANT TO TITLE 14 CFR SECTION 91.137A(1) TEMPORARY FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS ARE IN EFFECT DUE TO NATIONAL SECURITY. UNLESS AUTHORIZED BY ATC, NO FLIGHT OPERATIONS ARE PERMITTED WITHIN A 25 NAUTICAL RADIUS OF THE WASHINGTON /DCA/ VOR/DME, EXCLUDING THE MANASSAS, VIRGINIA CLASS D AIRSPACE AREA; OR WITHIN A 25 NAUTICAL MILE RADIUS OF THE KENNEDY /JFK/ VOR/DME,

EXCLUDING THE WHITE PLAINS, NEW YORK CLASS D AIRSPACE AREA.

It would seem to suggest no ops at GAI. But the phrase “unless authorized by ATC” makes me wonder/hope that Baltimore CLNC just might be able to “authorize” us at the same time they’re giving us our IFR clearances. Who knows if that’s the case, though…

Steve

We’re able to relocate VFR in Florida due to Gabrielle, the tropical storm. Maybe you’ll get the storm up there and be able to relocate to Manassas. Of course, don’t try flying in the hurricane!

1. One exception in DC area: Manassas, KHEF. Hmmm, I’d been considering relocating my plane there, because it’s a Cirrus service center, and a better overall airport than KGAI. Wish I’d done so several days ago!

If I remember correctly I even offered my hangar in HEF… Well hang in there wont be long. Try for a special request. Hey, how about using your airplane for a Angel Flight… can be arranged.

Have a great Cirrus day waxing…

Woor

Just called the FSS:

1. NO operations permitted to or from airports within that zone. (Including GAI, and half a dozen others in the DC area.)
  1. One exception in DC area: Manassas, KHEF. Hmmm, I’d been considering relocating my plane there, because it’s a Cirrus service center, and a better overall airport than KGAI. Wish I’d done so several days ago!

Jim, you might be able to get permission to move your airplane to Manasses. That’s how the plane at National have gotten out.

Just called the FSS:

1. NO operations permitted to or from airports within that zone. (Including GAI, and half a dozen others in the DC area.)

AOPA working for VFR solution
9/15/2001 5:04:57 PM — In a special meeting on Saturday with senior FAA Air Traffic representatives and DOD officials, AOPA’s staff discussed plans for reopening airspace to VFR traffic to the National Airspace System. Although the timing is uncertain for the return of VFR operations, the FAA is bringing the system back incrementally. AOPA is working towards a resumption that will provide access for the maximum number of aircraft, recognizing the overriding concerns for national security. As part of the plan for the return of VFR operations, the Association representatives are also addressing procedures that will be used for relocating aircraft from airports affected by temporary restrictions on aircraft operations.

Jim, you might be able to get permission to move your airplane to Manasses. That’s how the plane at National have gotten out.

Thanks for the thought. So far that “evacuation” provision seems to be an airliner-only option. At least according to the FSS earlier this evening, they are not yet allowing ANY general aviation craft into or out of the airports in the 25-mile no-fly zone. (Maybe there are medical/etc exceptions, but I didn’t want to invent one of those.) The FBO at Gaithersburg said that no plane had taken off or landed since Tuesday. I assume this will be figured out sooner or later.

KFDK – home base of AOPA – is 37NM from the DCA vor.

At least the FAA people were shrewd enough not to set the no-fly zone at 40NM from Kennedy and National airports. Imagine the rhetoric that would be coming out of AOPA and President Phil Boyer right now if they had!

[I say this mainly in jocular mode. But it IS amazing to me how AOPA publications are cult-of-the-personality vehicles for Boyer himself. Once you start noticing this, it reminds you more and more of the role of Dear Leader Kim Jong Il in publications from North Korea. I have never met Boyer and have nothing against him, but has anyone else been struck by this?]

My fear is that with only a handful of airports affected by these restrictions (including mine!), the clout will not be present to get these TFRs removed anytime soon… :frowning:

Steve

Yes. But maybe it is effective for AOPA. How else do you get a 45 minute telephone conversation with Norman Mineta unless you are a nationally known journalist.

[I say this mainly in jocular mode. But it IS amazing to me how AOPA publications are cult-of-the-personality vehicles for Boyer himself. Once you start noticing this, it reminds you more and more of the role of Dear Leader Kim Jong Il in publications from North Korea. I have never met Boyer and have nothing against him, but has anyone else been struck by this?]

Jim,

There is no doubt that Phil Boyer knows politics and marketing, but the AOPA did a great job of delivering timely information via their web page these past few days. In fact, with the FAA home page failing to mention General Aviation, FSS’s and FSDO’s giving conflicting information, and generally poor communication from the government, the AOPA web site may have been the ONLY source of reliable and up-to-date info. And (at least the way he tells it :), Phil really went to bat for GA to lobby for release of the ground hold.

I don’t believe that getting GA flying again should have been top priority, but we might still be grounded if someone hadn’t been looking out for us. And, by the way, I don’t blame the FAA, because I think they were just implementing policy in this case, not making it.

-Mike

Phil Boyer wears a haircut known in some circles as a “comb-over.”

A comb-over reveals two things about its owner. One, he’s vain. Two, he’s trying to hide something.

KFDK – home base of AOPA – is 37NM from the DCA vor.

At least the FAA people were shrewd enough not to set the no-fly zone at 40NM from Kennedy and National airports. Imagine the rhetoric that would be coming out of AOPA and President Phil Boyer right now if they had!

Steve

I just question whether GA was worth 45 minutes of Mineta’s time when danger still loomed and an entire industry was frozen.

Yes. But maybe it is effective for AOPA. How else do you get a 45 minute telephone conversation with Norman Mineta unless you are a nationally known journalist.

Mike, Jim D – NOT meaning to diss the AOPA. Their web site really was quite invaluable the last couple of days. They’re an interest/pressure group, but (on most things) they’re MY interest/pressure group, so I’m glad they’re effective.

And to the extent that the personal magnification of the AOPA Prez helps its effectiveness, I can understand that tactic. Let me use another analogy: the prez's role in AOPA publications is not that different from the role of a Congressman or Senator in their office's mailings. Understandable... but mildly droll?

Woor: is your hangar offer still on the table? HEF is considerably farther from my house than GAI, but it’s looking better all the time!

Mike, Jim D – NOT meaning to diss the AOPA.

Let me use another analogy: the prez’s role in AOPA publications is not that different from the role of a Congressman or Senator in their office’s mailings. Understandable… but mildly droll?

Jim,

I never believed for an instant that you were slamming AOPA – I’m sure you’d sooner dog motherhood and apple pie than do that.

Boyer’s antics ARE rather droll. And while I’m glad he’s on our side, I do have a problem with special interest groups in that they usually try to get more than their share of the pie, not to belabor the metaphor. Amazingly, while general aviation is largely comprised of wealthier-than-average Americans, we still have to fight for every scrap of respect we get. It’s just as well that we have Phil barnstorming on our behalf.

-Mike