Minimum Hours for SR20

I am a 45-yr old soon to be minted pilot, with the goal to obtain my instrument rating and move into a Cirrus. After training, the next step up in my flying club is either a C172RG or a C182RG. I have no great need to fly anything with retractable gear, but is there logic to pick up hours in these aircraft before moving into the club’s SR20 (insurance requirements and hourly rate notwithstanding)? Eventually I would consider at least a fractional ownership in an SR22, once I build my hours.

If your goal is to get to an SR22, I would move to the SR20 as soon as you can. The step up from an SR20 to a 22 is similar to the Cessna step up from a 172 to a 182.

I bought a 20 and did my instrument training in MY own airplane with a PFD. Glad I did it that way.

In reply to:

…the next step up in my flying club is either a C172RG or a C182RG. I have no great need to fly anything with retractable gear, but is there logic to pick up hours in these aircraft before moving into the club’s SR20 (insurance requirements and hourly rate notwithstanding)? Eventually I would consider at least a fractional ownership in an SR22, once I build my hours.

I’d have to say no logic in going to the 172/182RG. They’re great planes, but if a 22 is what you’d like to fly some day, the sooner you start flying the 20, the better. As mentioned, the step from a 20 to 22 is minor compared with just getting used to the systems and avionics common to Cirrus.

The only reason I would bother with the RGs is if your future plans in aviation include requirements for complex time. Otherwise I would head straight for the SR20. As Brian noted below, the SR20-to-SR22 transition is similar (in performance increment) to the 172-to-182 transition. In all other respects it is actually simpler, as the systems and procedures are virtually identical, with but a few relatively minor differences.

If you are planning to fly the SR22 eventually, the only reason not to start right away would be insurability and hourly cost. The SR22 is a safer airplane than the SR20, for all pilots. I can’t imagine why insurance companies would insure you in an SR20 and not an SR22. I believe it could be true, but it reflects ignorance on their part.

Jim,

How did they teach you to handle a no-PFD approach? I would guess it would be something like set up one 430 in map mode and one in CDI mode.

Right?

Joe

[quote]
Jim,
How did they teach you to handle a no-PFD approach? I would guess it would be something like set up one 430 in map mode and one in CDI mode.
Right?

Something like that, you will fly a GPS T-type approach, with the autopilot if possible, I have a 55X autopilot so it is no big deal since it had GPSS (GPS steering). The local FAA guy said I have more info partial panel than most planes have full panel.

Thanks to all for your responses. I believe my club’s SR20 and SR22 are both earlier models without a PFD, so that should make my transition to a high performance aircraft easier. I really like the idea of getting my instrument rating in my own plane, and will try to pursue some avenue of ownership, either via a pre-owned Cirrus or a fractional interest.

This question was my first post on this board. I appreciate the responses, and plan on being on the member side once I complete my checkride.

Stan

i am CLT based - did both my private and instrument in a non-PFD SR20. I agree w/others that if that is what you want to fly starting in a sr20 is no big deal (and not high performance either) good luck

There is no reason to wait for your PPL to join the member side, there is a wealth of info over threre about aviation, most is slanted to Cirrus, but still tons of good info.

I fly an OMF Symphony out of Monroe. It has dual Garmin 430s, and so at least I could quickly get comfortable with those in an SR20.

When I first posted my question I was prepared for some wise old pilots to tell me to wait 200 hrs before graduating to the SR20 - that way I could postpone this foolish Cirrus obsession. Now all I’ve done is put more fuel on the fire. Thanks!

Stan

I started my private training with 0 hours in a SR20 and then picked up my new SR-22 with 17TT! I received my private and my instrument in the same plane over the last 8 months. So yes it can be done and I would jump right in!

Stan,

I see that Monroe is a “fur piece” from extreme SW NC, still,

I hope to be up at my N GA house on or about Feb 26, 27, 28. If you could find a way to make it over towards Copperhill, TN (1A3, about 2 miles from NC) I’d love to show you my SR22 and chat.

I did prepare a student pilot for his Private in his own SR22 (he had about 30 hours in a Cessna and some hours with other instructors) and then went on to prepare him for his Instrument rating. So I have some experience with this sort of thing.

Let me know.

In reply to:

I started my private training with 0 hours in a SR20 and then picked up my new SR-22 with 17TT! I received my private and my instrument in the same plane over the last 8 months. So yes it can be done and I would jump right in!

How big of an issue was insurance and how did you manage?
raj

In reply to:

The SR22 is a safer airplane than the SR20, for all pilots.

Curtis - I think this is a first - WE DISAGREE!

I think both planes are equally safe, when each is operated with its limitations in mind (as ANY plane should be).

I stand ready to be convinced by your impeccable logic, of course!

In reply to:

The SR22 is a safer airplane than the SR20, for all pilots. .

Woooooo horsey. Curt. . . I do not agree with that sweeping statement, especially for a very low time pilot.
The sinple fact is, bigger, faster isn’t better.
The 20 has an altitude compensating pump. That is one less thing to worry about when climbing to altitude. The 22 does things faster. That also is not a good thing for a low time person.
We have seen enough accidents caused, in part, by being technologically overwhelmed. Speed and complexity just adds to the mix.
The SR22 is not safer that the 20. It is a higher performing, more complex aircraft and that adds risk.
Certainly, and in some situations, the added power provides a degree of added safety, but I would not generalize.

In reply to:

I think both planes are equally safe, when each is operated with its limitations in mind

Unfortunately airplanes are not always kept within their limitations, and the SR22 is more forgiving of an errant moment, especially in the takeoff regime. Hot&High, the SR20 demands perfect technique. If you compare similar aircraft such as Diamond, Cessna, Piper, etc. you’ll see the SR20 has markedly lower power-loading (HP/lb) and is therefore quicker to bite the hand that yanks it. The SR22 and the Columbia’s by contrast have high power-loading.

Regretably this is borne out in the accident record where takeoff accidents are the difference in accident rates between the SR20 and the SR22.

In reply to:

…Regretably this is borne out in the accident record where takeoff accidents are the difference in accident rates between the SR20 and the SR22.

While I understand what you are saying, you are omitting “pilot competency”. Any aircraft must be flown within it’s limitations. a 20 has a smaller engine. OK, so you operate it within its limitations. You don’t put in a bigger engine longer wings and just call it safer.
The “take off” accidents to which you refer are not caused by the airplane. They are caused by a pilot who didn’t know how to properly use his airplane.