SR22 vs. Cessna 182

I’m considering an airplane purchase (pilot-in-training right now) and have heard from more than one source that a Cessna 182 would be the route to go for a first airplane…

Is an SR22 too much of a “hotrod” for a beginner?

Would I even be able to find an insurer?

What about maintenance? (I’m in Oklahoma…)

Thanks for any suggestions —

I’m considering an airplane purchase (pilot-in-training right now) and have heard from more than one source that a Cessna 182 would be the route to go for a first airplane…

Patrick,

I was a student pilot when I began looking at Cirrus. Comparing the Cirrus to a Cessna is alot like comparing a new BMW M3 to a 1947 Desoto. I ordered an SR22, its simply the best plane on the planet (and a relative bagain compared to everything else in its peformance catagory.) Sure you’ll find alot of old timers pushing old timer airplanes. These are probably the same people who see no reason to upgrade their IBM PC1 (or see no use for a computer at all!)

If you order an SR22 today (highly recommended!)the wait is about a year. If you fly often enough, this should give you plenty of time to get your private and an instrument ticket. (I’ve logged about 300 hours in the past 5 months.) I just picked up my SR22. With an instrument rating, insurance was still hard to find and nearly $6k per year. No one would even write a $1M smooth policy. I think finding someone to insure a student pilot on an SR22 would be virtually impossible.

Still not wanting to fly the old junk thats generally out there for rent, after some research I bought a Socota Tobago. Its a modern design, wide cockpit, fixed gear plane with a similar sight picture to the Cirrus. At 180hp, its a decent performer but not a monster. In other words, a great plane to learn on while I waited for my SR22.

Also, if you are looking for an interim plane, try to find one with modern avionics, especially a Garmin 430. This will help you immensly when your shiney new SR22 gets delivered.

Good luck,

Jeff

SR22 N916LJ

Patrick,

Jeff’s denigration of the venerable Cessna 182 notwithstanding, you may wish to look into the Peterson’s Performance Plus refurbishment and conversion of 1970s vintage 182s into his amazing 260SE/STOL. Check it out at http://www.260se.com.

I looked very closely at the Cirrus aircraft, even visited with them in Duluth. Cirrus has developed dandy products that look very promising for GA in general and the company in particular. Because I greatly admire what they have accomplished and respect their tremendous effort, my following words are not in any way intended to denigrate their fine work.

As an “old but not bold” guy who has flown since 1959 with many hours and multiple ratings, I decided upon Todd Peterson’s product for several reasons. First, I like the very wide performance range, with a stall speed of 35kts and the ability to cruise (“loiter”) without hanging on the prop at 50 - 55kts at the low end, and a fairly respectable cruise speed of 150+kts at the cross country end of the speed range.

Second, Todd Peterson is a high quality guy who personally buys only the 182s he considers good enough for him, and then he personally goes over the aircraft and refurbishes it to like-new standards inside and out. He personally installs a fuel injected IO-470 which increases horsepower from 230 to 260, and cleans up the otherwise “dirty” and draggy 182 airframe.

Third, and of most interest, Todd installs an STC’d canard off the nose of the aircraft, which imparts an amazing improvement to the aircraft’s low speed control and stability. The canard provides lift, and has a control surface that acts in unison with the elevators for pitch control. Talk about state-of-the-art.

Add to the equation new paint and interior, and the result is one fine aircraft with performance capabilities well beyond the vast majority of comparably priced products and other 4 seat birds.

Clearly, the 260SE/STOL does not have the speed and pizzaz of the SR22, but it also does not have the demands (Read: potential safety concerns) of a hot rod, either. In fact, AOPA’s ASF statistics show that the Cessna 182 shares with its stable-mate (172) one of the best safety records over many years such records have been kept. Something to think about there, I might add.

With a new avionics panel and gear, my total cost for the project will be equivalent to a comparably equipped SR20, much lower than an SR22, and lower than a new Cessna 182.

BTW, when compared to either a new SR20 or new Cessna 182, my aircraft will be better equipped and will have a superior performance envelope, including cruising speed (100 knots from 150+ high to 50kts low), superior range, and a greater fully fueled useful load. All for a comparable or lower cost. Not too bad in my book.

IMHO, notwithstanding Jeff’s comments, while the SR22 is a great aircraft, and I sure hope I someday have the opportunity to fly one and put it through its paces, if I were a newly licensed pilot knowing that I needed to build a significant amount of time and flying experience, there’s no way I’d try to do so in a “hot” aircraft when a known aircraft with a much more forgiving alternative is available at less cost and lower risk.

Good luck to you, and congratulations on your good fortune to be able to pursue one of the greatest experiences we have - aviation.

Pete

Is an SR22 too much of a “hotrod” for a beginner? >

Patrick,

For once, I’m semi-qualified to answer a question on this forum. Not that I’ve ever been inhibited before by lack of qualifications …

I got my private license in December, 2000, bought a 1997 C-182 in April, got my instrument rating at the end of May, and picked up my SR22 at the beginning of June. Here are my thoughts on your situation:

The C-182 is not a bad transition airplane, in that you’ll get used to handling a little more horsepower than trainers. You’ll also get the high performance endorsement that you’ll need for the SR22. By the way, mine is for sale :slight_smile:

I’d highly recommend that you get an instrument rating before you get an SR20 or SR22. Not mandatory, but in airplanes that go far and fast, it’s easier to get into trouble with the weather.

I’d also recommend that you get as many hours of flight time as you can before you get your Cirrus. There’s no substitute for experience. I had about 200 hours when I got trained in the SR22, and for the first couple of hours of training, I felt like I was about 30 seconds behind the airplane.

Having said all that, I think someone could do their primary flight training in an SR22. I don’t think it would take much longer than usual, and you would be building SR22 flight time. Three reasons why people seldom train in high performance airplanes are the expense, the cost of insurance if student owns the plane, and the hard landings that students sometimes inflict on airplanes.

You’ll probably be able to find insurance, but you’ll also pay a high premium until you build up some flight time in your airplane. My premium is about $7,000/year. One would hope that as insurers get more experience with the SR22, that premiums will go down.

As to service, any competent shop can do routine maintenance, like oil changes and minor inspections, on your Cirrus. The factory-authorized service centers are listed on the Cirrus homepage. Don’t forget that you can fly to one at 180 Kts, unless your plane is completely busted, in which case they’ll have to fly to you at about 120 Kts.

-Mike

There have been many comments on this forum about the difficulty in learning to land either Cirrus after flying Cessna high wing products.

Personally I puchased a Piper Dakota after requalifying my decades old private license. This aircraft is comparable to the 182 in performance, it uses the same engine. Others have mentioned the Tiger as the aircraft that is closest to the Cirrus in handling characteristics. I would focus on low wing aircraft for training and building hours, at least 250, including IFR rating before taking delivery of a Cirrus.

The insurance costs will drive you crazy. It has been suggested to me that I may need a min of 500 hours before being able to get 1 million of smooth liabilty coverage.

Best wishes for your flying enjoymnet!

Bob

PS If any of you are interested I will be selling my Dakota in the next few months prior to taking delivery of a SR22.

I agree with Jeff! If you learn on an old type of platform you will still have the transition with habits good or bad formed. Buy a plane you will appreciate and own for a long time albeit the wait for a Cirrus is long, I bought out a contract and moved that date up for a little premium. The SR22 was my first plane and everyone who comes to drooooolll thinks I made the right decision. So before you send $$$$$ do what we men do and test drive them! It’s worth a trip to Duluth and get a factory tour too. Rick

Patrick,

I was a student pilot when I began looking at Cirrus. Comparing the Cirrus to a Cessna is alot like comparing a new BMW M3 to a 1947 Desoto. I ordered an SR22, its simply the best plane on the planet (and a relative bagain compared to everything else in its peformance catagory.) Sure you’ll find alot of old timers pushing old timer airplanes. These are probably the same people who see no reason to upgrade their IBM PC1 (or see no use for a computer at all!)

If you order an SR22 today (highly recommended!)the wait is about a year. If you fly often enough, this should give you plenty of time to get your private and an instrument ticket. (I’ve logged about 300 hours in the past 5 months.) I just picked up my SR22. With an instrument rating, insurance was still hard to find and nearly $6k per year. No one would even write a $1M smooth policy. I think finding someone to insure a student pilot on an SR22 would be virtually impossible.

Still not wanting to fly the old junk thats generally out there for rent, after some research I bought a Socota Tobago. Its a modern design, wide cockpit, fixed gear plane with a similar sight picture to the Cirrus. At 180hp, its a decent performer but not a monster. In other words, a great plane to learn on while I waited for my SR22.

Also, if you are looking for an interim plane, try to find one with modern avionics, especially a Garmin 430. This will help you immensly when your shiney new SR22 gets delivered.

Good luck,

Jeff

SR22 N916LJ

I hate to sound mundane…but why not start with the SR20? I’ve got about 130 hrs in 50’s, 52’s and 72’s and have no problems landing the 20 (was at Wings Aloft 10 days ago and got another 2.5 hrs in the 20). I plan to get delivery of the 20 in Mar 02 and the instrument rating soon afterwards. The insurance is less painful than a 22 and I don’t really need the performance. If I use this plane alot over the next 2-3 yrs, then I’ll consider upgrading to one of those new SR XX’s is working on

I agree with Jeff! If you learn on an old type of platform you will still have the transition with habits good or bad formed. Buy a plane you will appreciate and own for a long time albeit the wait for a Cirrus is long, I bought out a contract and moved that date up for a little premium. The SR22 was my first plane and everyone who comes to drooooolll thinks I made the right decision. So before you send $$$$$ do what we men do and test drive them! It’s worth a trip to Duluth and get a factory tour too. Rick

Patrick,

Good luck,

Jeff

SR22 N916LJ

Patrick,

Jeff’s denigration of the venerable Cessna 182 notwithstanding, you may wish to look into the Peterson’s Performance Plus refurbishment and conversion of 1970s vintage 182s into his amazing 260SE/STOL. Check it out at http://www.260se.com.

In case you think Pete is looney, check out the Yahoo club (easy link from the Peterson site) that I started with Kevin Moore (we being 2 other guys who went with a 260SE over a Cirrus) feel free to look at our various Avionics panels…etc. You’ll find planes with better panels for less than an SR22. Though not as sexy

I love the Sr2X - amazing planes - and along with Lancair they are the cream of the new crop. BUT they simply can’t fly like a Peterson. Yesterday I did 60 banks at 60 kts, trimmed out the pressue and flew hands off. Kevin Moore lands at 48kts. And he does this neat thing where he appraoches to one runway, flies down it and then turns 90 degrees to the left to land on the intersecting runway. All without even a stall warning. You can land in 500ft and take off in 400. Climb is 1300fpm.

Point of all this? If you are going to fly from paved strip to paved strip - all 2k or longer - and want to do it in style - go with CIrrus. If you want more versatility - at least consider a Peterson version of the 182.

I am a CFII and an MEI, I train out of Palo Alto CA. I’m sure most of you know, but we have a plentiful number of wealthy individuals who don’t care how much it costs to get their licences. I currently have a student who is pre solo and we are looking for an SR22 for him to go through his instrument rating in before buying a C414 or C421. The reason why I suggested a Cirrus is that even though it is High Performance, it really handles nicely and it doesn’t have retract, an even bigger insurance no no if your a low time pilot. The engine is pretty hardy and you don’t have to worry about damaging it with large power swings the way you do with a Turbo charged airplane. It is a good starter, and in no way too much for any pilot. just be ready to spend a lot of time with an instructor in the right seat before the insurance allowing you to fly solo.

-Garrett

P.S. if any of you are looking for an instructor for insurance mandatory reasons, my email is garrettwoodan@usa.net . I’m willing to travel, and have a very flexible schedule.

Patrick,

For once, I’m semi-qualified to answer a question on this forum. Not that I’ve ever been inhibited before by lack of qualifications …

I got my private license in December, 2000, bought a 1997 C-182 in April, got my instrument rating at the end of May, and picked up my SR22 at the beginning of June. Here are my thoughts on your situation:

The C-182 is not a bad transition airplane, in that you’ll get used to handling a little more horsepower than trainers. You’ll also get the high performance endorsement that you’ll need for the SR22. By the way, mine is for sale :slight_smile:

I’d highly recommend that you get an instrument rating before you get an SR20 or SR22. Not mandatory, but in airplanes that go far and fast, it’s easier to get into trouble with the weather.

I’d also recommend that you get as many hours of flight time as you can before you get your Cirrus. There’s no substitute for experience. I had about 200 hours when I got trained in the SR22, and for the first couple of hours of training, I felt like I was about 30 seconds behind the airplane.

Having said all that, I think someone could do their primary flight training in an SR22. I don’t think it would take much longer than usual, and you would be building SR22 flight time. Three reasons why people seldom train in high performance airplanes are the expense, the cost of insurance if student owns the plane, and the hard landings that students sometimes inflict on airplanes.

You’ll probably be able to find insurance, but you’ll also pay a high premium until you build up some flight time in your airplane. My premium is about $7,000/year. One would hope that as insurers get more experience with the SR22, that premiums will go down.

As to service, any competent shop can do routine maintenance, like oil changes and minor inspections, on your Cirrus. The factory-authorized service centers are listed on the Cirrus homepage. Don’t forget that you can fly to one at 180 Kts, unless your plane is completely busted, in which case they’ll have to fly to you at about 120 Kts.

-Mike

I am a CFII and an MEI, I train out of Palo Alto CA.
-Garrett

P.S. if any of you are looking for an instructor for insurance mandatory reasons, my email is garrettwoodan@usa.net . I’m willing to travel, and have a very flexible schedule.

Garrett,

how many hours do you have in Cirri? My insurance requires 25 hours Make&Model to be PIC.

-Curt