Maintenance

I am in the process of selling my loaded turbo lance to find partners for a good used SR22. During my conversation with the local mechanic he stated that the would steer away from Cirrus because of all of the expensive mandatory inspections. Can any one shed light on the normal annual inspections cost and what can I expect in costs down the road like the chute , etc.
Thanks

Hard to imagine what he’s talking about.

With fixed gear, free-castering nosewheel and no turbo, I’d imagine much LESS in “mandatory inspections”. The airframe is pretty simple and the engine and prop proven designs.

Try to pin him down on what, exactly, he’s talking about.

I’d say, on average, annuals are costing about $2,000. As the fleet ages, that may increase, of course.

Hey…I’d love to chat offline with you about your Lance…I’ve been looking for one lately. Please email me at davlen12@aol.com. David Brandon

Tvespa,

I have gone through 4 annual inspections with my SR-20. The shop I use now charges a flat rate of $1260 for the labor. I have yet to be out over $2k for an annual even being out of warranty for the last 2 years. Whoever you spoke with clearly does not have first hand information.

After reading the replies below, , and from my own experience about the Cirrus prior to purchase , there’s a whole lot of mis-information all over the place…

I’ve also heard that the fire department / or perhaps pyro technicians have to attend the plane if it, for example goes ff the runway , because of the "rocket " etc

looks liek the A&P was mis informed

tvespa, I take it that the A&P in question does NOT work at a Cirrus service center (there are many of them) – check it out on the Cirrus web site:
http://http:// http://www.cirrusdesign.com/serviceandupgrades/servicecenters/

Many “normal” A&P’s are quite unfamiliar with the Cirrus.

In reply to:

During my conversation with the local mechanic he stated that the would steer away from Cirrus because of all of the expensive mandatory inspections.

I’d steer away from the local mechanic and talk to people who know what they are talking about regarding Cirrus - an actual Cirrus Service Center. You can find one near you on the Cirrus website at cirrrusdesign.com. These will be people who work on other brands of aircraft, not just Cirrus, but they will know a lot more about Cirrus than your trusty local mechanic, who probably knows a lot about Cessnas and Pipers, but clearly not about Cirrus.

Tim

In reply to:

Tvespa,
I have gone through 4 annual inspections with my SR-20. The shop I use now charges a flat rate of $1260 for the labor. I have yet to be out over $2k for an annual even being out of warranty for the last 2 years. Whoever you spoke with clearly does not have first hand information.

Stuart,

$2,000 is not a bad estimate. It depends on what you count as part of your annual. For me it is:

Annual Inspection Labor $1,500 (This is very typical)
New Spark Plugs $360.00 (No labor since they are pulling them anyway)
New Brakes $75.00 (No labor since they are inspecting anyway)

On the 22 the Alternator needs a rebuild and the mags need rebuild every 500 hours. So many people count that in their annual as well.

It is all in what you expect, but yes labor rate alone $1260- $1500 is not out of line IMHO

Mason

In reply to:

I’ve also heard that the fire department / or perhaps pyro technicians have to attend the plane if it, for example goes ff the runway , because of the "rocket " etc

Fred,

I once checked with the on field Fire Dept with my airport at PRC, and they were well aware of the Cirrus Design aircraft and the procedures for “dealing” with the rocket.

Walt

In reply to:

I’ve also heard that the fire department / or perhaps pyro technicians have to attend the plane if it, for example goes ff the runway , because of the "rocket " etc., looks liek the A&P was mis informed

Looks like you need an informed A&P.