SR22 g1/2 Maintainance Costs

Hi All, I am a student pilot and I am trying to decide between a few aircraft (SR22, 182, or a Mooney) for after I get my private cert. One thing that I’m getting very conflicting information on is how much I should expect maintenance to cost. I’m looking at a G2 or late G1 SR22. I’m seeing very conflicting numbers with some claiming $2k annuals, others reporting $5k with the occasional $10k, and one person who saw a $30k annual.

I’m expecting to fly around 100-200 hours per year. How much should I realistically expect to budget for maintenance (ignoring engine overhauls).

Early g1 numbers(sn 213), plan on a basic annual costing 3000. Airworthiness issues and other items to range on average 2-7 grand.
5000 on the low side and 10 grand on the high at annual.
For the most part, my plane doesn’t see the S.C. in between annuals, but there are times.

1 Like

I too have a G1 - serial 0063. The annual inspection is about $2700 + whatever has to be fixed + whatever I want fixed. I would say the average total annual over the last few years has run in the $6-7,000 range.

1 Like

You are considering three very different airplanes, it wold behoove you to identify your primary mission and take it from there, any one of those aircraft can surprise you with unexpected maintenance expenses, it’s an inherent risk of aircraft ownership.

There are numerous topics on COPA that discuss operating expenses, maintenance budgets and related aspects of aircraft ownership, please consider upgrading to a full COPA membership to avail yourself of the over 1.3 million posts on our forum and the advice of many experienced Cirrus Owner/operators.

2 Likes

I have a 2002 G1 SR22. My previous annuals (admittedly done in high cost metropolitan areas) have been $6.2k and $7.8k. I wouldn’t want to own a Cirrus unless I was comfortable with ~$30k per year operating costs, and a $50k engine overhaul. I’d hope I wouldn’t have those major expenditures, but that’s what I’d plan for in a worst-case scenario.

I have an answer but I’ll answer it on the member side.

1 Like

I’m in about the same range as Jerry. Usually ends up somewhere between $5-8K. G1 SR22. I don’t know the other planes but there’s no comparison. Get the Cirrus. :stuck_out_tongue:

I can’t see getting out of the annual for $3k unless someone is pencil whipping. Frankly <$5k would have me worried.

A base annual inspection by a qualified mechanic is ~22 hrs so multiply by your local shop rate. Then add on normal wear and tear and timed items. It’s pretty hard to be less than $3k in even the lowest cost areas. I plan for $5K but am prepared for multiples thereof. I’ve beat plan my first two annuals on my G1 and there was no pencil whipping :grinning:

Thanks everyone! This is just what I was looking for!

I’m all for helping, but the free postings time have run out. To the OP, please join, at least for one year, it will pay back 20 fold, especially if you’re looking to buy.

1 Like

A $30k per year cost is not too bad. Mainly I was worried that it was a $10-15k annual inspection cost on top of the operating costs. The overhaul cost is fairly similar across the planes and can be (more or less) planned for.

I agree in the case of nothing catastrophic, the overhaul cost can be planned for. However, I cannot stress enough that you might need a new engine anytime. Imagine your mechanic calls you up and says “Hey Ian, just found a crack on your engine… you’re gonna need to replace the case.” This could be due to absolutely nothing you did incorrectly as an operator - just pure wear and tear.

That’s $50k right there, that you have to be prepared to spend. It might not be every year, but you need to have enough money to cover the cost. It helps to have an ample cash reserve so you can shrug off any needed maintenance without trying to penny pinch critical maintenance items.

I have owned a Mooney M20E 1966 and now own a 1968 182L and annuals average $3000, but repaired items throughout the year (cracked rib, fuel selector rebuild, muffler, etc.) add $2000 more. Older planes require ongoing maintenance and parts are expensive. Falcon insurance is $800/yr. I expect my rates for a G2 Cirrus to be 4 x that, but value is also 4x the 182, so it’s all relative.

Figure out your mission…local, training, IFR, 600 mi. trips, etc.

I am looking to move to Cirrus G2 or Columbia 350 for travel between Florida, Illinois and Wisconsin.

Looking at Cirrus, though, I see a lot of top overhauls on mid-time 550 Continentals, especially with the Tornado alley turbo modified engines. I also see Avidyne replacement or repairs for the MFD components requiring yearly maintenance subscriptions. While it is an expensive hobby, it is nice to know airplanes hold their value better than cars, golf memberships, or time-shares.

If you are wanting to build economical time, buy the 182. It worked for me for the past 4 years and I got my IFR training, 400+ hours and flew to 15+ states. But now I need A/C, TKS…and speed for my 800 nm trips so I am back to Cirrus, Columbia, or Mooney.

Good luck.

@drkinzler

Welcome to the Association.

COPA policy requires that you use your real name instead of a “handle". Please go to your user preferences and enter your real first and last name and save the change.

Thanks

Please consider upgrading to a full COPA membership, as a potential Cirrus owner/pilot there is no better investment you can make to further your knowledge of the SR line of aircraft, even if you ultimately decide to purchase a Columbia or other non Cirrus model.

I own a G-2 (2006). My annuals average $5-7k. My total costs per year are usually right around $25k. I fly 100 hrs/yr, so that is about $250/hr. (plane is paid for, so no acquisition costs are in those numbers, nor are any reserves for engine replacement/overhaul or anything else - it does include the costs for two hangars though).

People confuse the cost of an annual inspection with the costs of fixing squawks found during the inspection.

The annual itself should be 2-3k.

The squawks can vary wildly depending what’s wrong with the plane and whether or not your mechanic is fixing things that don’t need to be fixed.

If you just drop it off with an overzealous mechanic and let them do what they want, it’s going to be ugly.

1 Like

Thanks @drkinzler I’m looking at using this mainly as a cross country machine to mainly go between Texas and Colorado with the occasional trip to Florida in the mix. My plan is to get the plane and then immediately start my IFR training so that I can train in the plane that I am going to be flying long term. I like the 182s, but the cirrus/Mooney is able to shave off quite a bit of time on the long trips. Of course, getting FIKI on one of the early SR22s seems to be unrealistic so it’s a bit of a compromise.

As far as the Avidyne goes, I’ve also heard that they are not that super. My plan is to have an extra 30k on hand to rip it out and replace it with something like a g3x when it fails.

Yeah, one of the big selling points of the cirrus to me is that they just opened a service center in my local airport so I don’t have to worry too much about finding a qualified shop.

This may be a controversial statement here but I’m not sure obsessing over official service centers is the right way to go. I’ve always had my plane’s annual done at a SC. This year for various reasons I tried a regular mechanic (but who knew Cirrus well). The whole experience was cheaper and honestly felt more thorough to me.

The biggest issues I’ve had post-maintenance (and believe me I had a doozy a couple of years ago) were after having work done at a SC.

For this reason, these days I’m more focused on finding a great, thorough mechanic who knows the Cirrus extremely well rather than necessarily an official service center. I’m curious if others here have thoughts around this.

4 Likes