Looking to purchase a G2 is there a certain year that is best? What items should I focus on when evaluating a G2. Thanks

I have found the EMAX sampling rate to be sufficient. It’s definitely nice to have the backup instrument gauges, but they can have their own issues (gauges can fail, connection to the gauge can fail, etc) Always good to use everything you’ve got and compare, which is another reason that I like having the BlueMax installed.

1 Like

I have a 2005 G2 with 5400 hours on it and the aileron rudder interconnect works perfectly - you just need to have someone who knows how to maintain it - which is very simple at annuals when you check control cable tensions.

2 Likes

Since you brought up the DFC-90, the Avidyne website says it is a slide in replacement for the STEC 55X and costs just under $10,000 for the unit. Is that literally true or is some wiring also required? Bottom line, I guess, would be what does it cost to upgrade from an STEC 55X to a DFC-90?

Thanks in advance.

Its priced at at 12k and depending on your bird could take 4 to 6 hours to install.

It is not a plug and play.

Thanks Jay

No wiring necessary except (if you want it. but recommended) the optional “Flap Wire”, so that the A/P knows the flaps setting. That’s an easy to install wire, will cost about 500. Autopilot is 10 K.

Stack fitment and cable length and routing can become an issue I’ve been told which necessitates the larger than expected labor cost vs simple swap like say IFD440.

But the DFC90 uses the same rack, cables, everything as the S-TEC55X. You simply slide it in and configure it. So how can cable lengths be an issue?

I don’t recall all the details but it doesn’t take 4 hours to swap so there is work involved.

The 4 hours can only be the Flap Wire work, not the installation of the autopilot. So that’s probably it.

I think you are right, and the flap connection is optional; if you don’t install it, it will assume speeds below 85 kts are flaps up, and give you an annoying “Caution, Underspeed” warning, depending on your AP/FD configuration.

2 Likes

Keep in mind that the DFC90 needs to have the updated PFD software. Depending on the age of the plane, etc., it might have to be shipped to FL for the rework. When I did my upgrade, Avidyne was offering the upgrade for “free”, but I had to pay for shipping, and given the mass and value, shipping was very expensive. Also, it added about a month to the job, if I remember correctly.

All that said, I absolutely love the DFC90, and I was going to need the upgrade for a WAAS upgrade anyway.

2 Likes

Super valuable info, thanks for sharing Bill and William.

1 Like