Latest from Hayward on N142CD

Well, N142CD has its new engine, and as of late Friday afternoon it had flown over 6 hours. A compression test at 6 hours showed all cylinders with compressions in the high 70s.

The Cirrus test pilot was to fly another 4 hours today, then it would be turned over to Rob Leach who was due back in Hayward late Friday.

Unfortunately, it will probably be Monday before the ferry permit can be signed off. The winds to Honolulu are very favourable at present, hopefully this will hold until Monday.

Well, N142CD has its new engine, and as of late Friday afternoon it had flown over 6 hours. A compression test at 6 hours showed all cylinders with compressions in the high 70s.

The Cirrus test pilot was to fly another 4 hours today, then it would be turned over to Rob Leach who was due back in Hayward late Friday.

Unfortunately, it will probably be Monday before the ferry permit can be signed off. The winds to Honolulu are very favourable at present, hopefully this will hold until Monday.

Glad to hear it! Sorry for you that it has taken so long, but it sounds like CD is doing the right thing after all.

I won’t hold my breath waiting for all the posters who criticized the company prematurely to line up and eat their humble pie.

Any more info or speculation in the “what caused it” department?

Regards…

Glad to hear it! Sorry for you that it has taken so long, but it sounds like CD is doing the right thing after all.

I won’t hold my breath waiting …

You know, there is a really intriguing and deeply-human phenomenon that you touch on here. Objectively, the last few weeks have included some decisively good news for the company. They actually have the production certificate. They’re actually ramping up the production rate. The latest FAA registration database shows a total of 51 SR20s. (These include ones near the end of the production line.) They’re actually getting the fleet deployed and coping with the inevitable problems that show up in the first production run of any new product. They seem to be fighting for their customers on questions like Clyde’s engine nightmare. And…

… all of this is just not as interesting to mull over in a forum as are problems, when they emerge. It’s becoming less a cult, and more an actual product. Hey, maybe all of you now understand why journalists are the way we are! It’s more interesting to talk about why things don’t work!

JF

Any more info or speculation in the “what caused it” department?

No info, and speculation at this point would not achieve a great deal. I can tell you that the old engine is still in Hayward, awaiting TCM’s instructions (and, more than likely, payment for the labor that Leahy Aviation have performed - TCM are not noted for speed in paying warranty claims).