Kudos to Mike Busch, Cirrus , rasberries to TCM

So, my engine roughness returned, and TCM advised me to replace the fuel pump and metering assembly. Should be no big deal–after all, the TCM rep has authorized the repair under warranty, and told the local FBO what to do. Wrong.

The local FBO calls eight, count-em, eight different TCM distributors. Each and every one tells him they don’t have a fuel pump, and that Continental doesn’t either. TCM, additionally, refuses to send the part directly to the FBO, and insists he use a distributor.

So, let’s pause and think about this. The IO360ES fuel pump (with aneroid) is unique to the SR20, one of TCM’s best OEM customers. You kind of think they would have one. Nope. They have to build one!

Wow. I can’t think of any other field of endeavor where a manufacturer can abdicate responsibility to his customer, fail to provide a basic part for a very expensive, current item in a timely (read that as FED EX) fashion, and think that is acceptable performance. But the folks I talked to thought that was just the way it was. Their estimated time for a fuel pump was two weeks.

I then faxed a letter to Continental’s president. To his credit, I did receive a call, and action is being taken to expedite my part. The point of course, is that something as basic as a fuel pump shouldn’t need to be handled on an exception basis.

Now, let’s contrast this dismal example of anti-customer ineptitude by a large company to my experiences with Cirrus. Sure, I’ve had issues. But Mike Busch and Chris Dixon have always been responsive, and done their best. They have exhibited a sincere concern, and in my opinion, done an effective job. (in this TCM example, Mike pitched in and helped) We’re lucky to have them. They work their butts off, and I appreciate the job they do.

Mike Busch and Chris Dixon have always been responsive, and done their best. They have exhibited a sincere concern, and in my opinion, done an effective job. (in this TCM example, Mike pitched in and helped) We’re lucky to have them. They work their butts off, and I appreciate the job they do.

David,

Fortunately, I haven’t had test the waters with TCM yet - my engine has behaved fine so far.

But I can - and heartily do - corroborate your observations regarding Cirrus in general, and Mike Busch and Chris Dixon in particular. I’d also add Brian Janzig to the list. These guys are phenomenal.

As an example, a few Sundays ago, I needed advice on the correct way to remove the back seat of my SR20. It was 9:30 a.m. in New Jersey - 8:30 a.m. in Duluth. I called the hotline, and Mike Busch answered. He was in the middle of cooking breakfast - but he was extraordinarily patient, and stayed with me until my last question was answered.

Cirrus support is a class act; I, too, am most appreciative of their work.

Mike.