Interesting piece

www.inflightusa.com/feature/o.features.1.html

www.inflightusa.com/feature/o.features.1.html

Nice writeup. What a shame that it’s full of little errors.

What a shame that it’s full of little errors.

Clyde, for the benefit of us non-owners, would you mind a quick summary of the most important little errors? Thanks a lot, jim f.

What a shame that it’s full of little errors.

Clyde, for the benefit of us non-owners, would you mind a quick summary of the most important little errors?
Ok, here goes (a couple of them are probably overly picky)

1. the most obvious points are the drooped leading edges ahead of the ailerons - not actually drooped, the leading edges are “cuffed”, i.e. has an extension forwards, not down.
  2. If you deflect an aileron and look over your shoulder, you may see the rudder deflect because of the interconnect spring - bzzzt! Deflecting the ailerons does NOT move the rudder, but the reverse is true - full rudder will move the ailerons a little. It’s a one-way interconnect.
  3. There are also dual alternators under the cowl … All these good features are standard - the dual alternators are standard only on the C model, and not available on the A.
  4. Unusual for a four-seat plane, there are doors on both sides - tell that to a Cessna driver!
  5. Those seats are covered in a soft, luxurious leather look-alike. We paid $3500 for leather look-alike?? I think not.
  6. The backup vacuum system has its own standby battery - Just plain wrong.
  7. You even can see forward over the instrument panel from the back seat - Basketball players, probably, the rest of us, not really. The view from the back is superb, you just can’t see straight ahead.
  8. On the right sidewall are the circuit breakers - They’re actually on the left hand side of the center console - I think he meant to say they’re on the right side of the pilot’s leg well.
  9. After fussing with the four volumes on the audio panel - There are only 3 volume controls.
  10. I decided a major part of the Cirrus safety design is that the plane is up-elevator limited - I believe this to be wrong, at least in the sense that the SR20 never lacks elevator authority (e.g. in the flare, where it would usually show). The SR20 is not certified as “spin-resistant” like the Columbia 300.
  11. So far, 608 SR20s have been sold, many of those to early adapters - Firstly, I think he meant “early adopters” and only about 60 or 70 have been sold, the rest are still on order. Also, more than half of those orders have been placed since the plane went into production - exactly what constitutes an “early adopter” is open to interpretation, but I don’t think today’s SR20 order-placer falls into that category.
  1. So far, 608 SR20s have been sold, many of those to early adapters - Firstly, I think he meant “early adopters” and only about 60 or 70 have been sold, the rest are still on order. Also, more than half of those orders have been placed since the plane went into production - exactly what constitutes an “early adopter” is open to interpretation, but I don’t think today’s SR20 order-placer falls into that category.

Not to mention the fact that the number is up to at least 731 … 20% more than he noted.

Rob Bondy (#731)

1. So far, 608 SR20s have been sold, many of those to early adapters

Speaking of nitpicking, Cirrus thought so much of the “early adaptors” line that they put the quote on their website. Click on the “What’s New” button and voila. A little proofreading goes a long way…

1. So far, 608 SR20s have been sold, many of those to early adapters - Firstly, I think he meant “early adopters” and only about 60 or 70 have been sold, the rest are still on order. Also, more than half of those orders have been placed since the plane went into production - exactly what constitutes an “early adopter” is open to interpretation, but I don’t think today’s SR20 order-placer falls into that category.>>>Not to mention the fact that the number is up to at least 731 … 20% more than he noted.>>Rob Bondy (#731)>

Hello Rob,

I am sorry it took you so long for you to get your act together, but we are glad you finally saw the light. Welcome to the group. Have a great Cirrus day :slight_smile:

Woor

Hello Rob,

I am sorry it took you so long for you to get your act together, but we are glad you finally saw the light. Welcome to the group. Have a great Cirrus day :slight_smile:

Woor

Thanks. Happy to be aboard. Now for the long test in patience (Aug 31, 2002 date).

It took me a while because I wanted to see some sort of track record with the plane/company and because LOTS of other pilots said I was nuts for getting a new plane rather than
saving a bundle and getting a used one. Took a lot of consideration and talking with my wife, but now I am excited and READY to take delivery… even though I still haven’t had a ride (demo or otherwise) in one.

Cheers!
Rob (#731)

Bob,

It looks like CD is going to be cranking these things out at two or more per day by Aug’02:

#729 on 8/30/02 #731 on 8/31/02 See you in Duluth.

-John