Re: cirrus vs cessna

post was split from click herethis thread

this is so we’d all have an idea as to what Cessna has done to update their singles.

copy this to your adress bar and have a read.

http://avweb.com/news/reviews/182570-1.html

Top, Very interesting link. I noticed it was dated 1997, years before any certified Cirrus, Lancairs or 4 seat Diamonds were flying. Do you think that if the article was written today, there might be some substantial differences? What chances do you think the writter would have givven Cirrus to actually get the plane certified at or near the published specs, to sell over 1,300 planes in 4 years, to become the #2 SE aircraft manufacturer, and to actually beat Cessna in sales for 1 quarter?
Don’t get me wrong, I love Cessnas. I learned how to fly in them, owned a 172 for 10 years and think they have great planes for certain missions. However, flying with my wife or wife and family for 500-750 NM trips or 600 NM one day excursions is not included in areas where the 172 and 182 shine.
Conversely, I won’t land my SR22 on grass. It can be done, many owners routinely do it, and some even keep their planes on grass fields, but I choose not to. An I love landing on grass. But that is just one tradeoff I have accepted for longer legs, more comfort, better speeds, and the parachute which gives my wife and other passengers much more comfort that the very wide cabin. Besides, I really don’t have a need to land on grass that ofter. (My wife thinks ‘camping’ is staying in a cottage at the beach and ‘roughing it’ is living in Kentucky.)

As an endnote, one has got to wonder about anyone who would go onto a web site run by any affinity group and post negative comments about the group or its purpose. Not that I don’t like a good heated debate, but it just seems to me that the only purposes are either to insult people or stir up some trouble for personal enjoyment. Quite frankly, you have to give COPA credit for maintaining the public portion of the Forums so that anyone can partake in open discussion about Cirrus. I don’t think tha tthe main Cessna, Piper, Mooney or Bonanza type clubs do this. Do you think I would run into a COO or CPA meeting and say," You’re all dumb for buying outdated, slow and cheap planes!" No, but if I was there and someone asked, “What type of plane do you fly and why?” I’d have to answer. [:)]

Marty,

Nice post.

In reply to:

My wife thinks ‘camping’ is staying in a cottage at the beach and ‘roughing it’ is living in Kentucky.)

My wife thinks nothing of camping in the mountains of NW New Jersey in the Spring - in fact, it’s been an annual event for about 10 years. Tents, sleeping bags on the ground, pumping water, keeping the fire going for five days, dealing with the ticks, and all the other lovely things that go along with it.

But she wouldn’t go as far as living in Kentucky! [;)]

Only kidding, of course… I know you have yet to meet Lil, but I know she’d enjoy your (and Deb’s) wonderful home and hospitality, just as Ilana, Duncan and I did on our trek west. Thanks again!

• Mike.

PS - Duncan said to say ‘Hi to the old man’ - I think he means Luke.

In reply to:

As an endnote, one has got to wonder about anyone who would go onto a web site run by any affinity group and post negative comments about the group or its purpose. Not that I don’t like a good heated debate, but it just seems to me that the only purposes are either to insult people or stir up some trouble for personal enjoyment. Quite frankly, you have to give COPA credit for maintaining the public portion of the Forums so that anyone can partake in open discussion about Cirrus. I don’t think tha tthe main Cessna, Piper, Mooney or Bonanza type clubs do this. Do you think I would run into a COO or CPA meeting and say," You’re all dumb for buying outdated, slow and cheap planes!" No, but if I was there and someone asked, “What type of plane do you fly and why?” I’d have to answer.

Hi Mr. Kent, don’t get me wrong. I have nothing against Cirrus at all. In fact I hope to own one within the next 5 years.

I just posted the article to let people know the Cessna 182 of 20 or so years ago isn’t the same as the one getting off the line within the past 7 years. I just kept reading posts about Cessnas being outdated technologically. The article shows they’ve taken great steps to make a highly reliable airplane moreso. That’s all.

Long live Cirrus!

In reply to:

Hi Mr. Kent, don’t get me wrong. I have nothing against Cirrus at all. In fact I hope to own one within the next 5 years. I just posted the article to let people know the Cessna 182 of 20 or so years ago isn’t the same as the one getting off the line within the past 7 years. I just kept reading posts about Cessnas being outdated technologically. The article shows they’ve taken great steps to make a highly reliable airplane moreso. That’s all.
Long live Cirrus!

Top: A point well taken, but using a 7 year old article written prior to any of the new plnaes being certified is as outdated as the 20 year old Cessnas. And while the panels may have been updated (as expensive options) and dozens of other subsystems modernized, the basic design, and more improtantly the standards under which the Cessnas were certified are more than 40 years old.
I agree that old is not necessarily worse, and the Cessnas are wonderful for certain missions, but my point about people posting on this site just to antagonize others was a general comment, not specifically addressed to you. If it doesn’t apply, sorry, but don’t sweat it. Members pay to provide the “Public” access portions of the site especially this Public Forum. Few people would argue that going to someone’s home for Thanksgiving Dinner and speaking negatively about their house and turkey wouldn’t be polite. Likewise, people posting negative, patently incorrect, and inflammatory comments on the COPA site just isn’t neighborly.

On the other hand, if you like to become member, gain access to the member’s only portions, join in on serious discussions about the Cirrus, flight safety, WX, IFR techniques, maintenance, etc, please do so. We’d love to have you. If you have any interest in buying a Cirrus (and even if you don’t) you will probably not be disapointed.

Well said Marty!