intercom

Does the Garmin 430 have intercom capabilities with passengers. And will it allow passengers to converse without pilot being on the circuit? Larry

Does the Garmin 430 have intercom capabilities with passengers. And will it allow passengers to converse without pilot being on the circuit? Larry

Larry,

It’s not the 430 that does this, it is the Garmin AUDIO PANEL (340) that comes with the plane that is a full intercom. It not only allows the pilot AND co-pilot to isolate themselves from the passengers, but it can also split the ability to talk to ATC. Essentially, the pilot can control who hears what, including music from a portable CD player with auto dimming on the volume. If you want, the pilot can talk to the Com 1 freq, while the co-pilot deals with someone else (like Flight service, Unicom etc…) on Com 2 freq.

In short, I can’t think of anything you could want to do that this panel doesn’t already do.

For more info: www.Garmin.com

or read a review of the panel by going to

www.avionicswest.com and going to “reviews”

Larry,

It’s not the 430 that does this, it is the Garmin AUDIO PANEL (340) that comes with the plane that is a full intercom. It not only allows the pilot AND co-pilot to isolate themselves from the passengers, but it can also split the ability to talk to ATC. Essentially, the pilot can control who hears what, including music from a portable CD player with auto dimming on the volume. If you want, the pilot can talk to the Com 1 freq, while the co-pilot deals with someone else (like Flight service, Unicom etc…) on Com 2 freq.

In short, I can’t think of anything you could want to do that this panel doesn’t already do.

For more info: www.Garmin.com

or read a review of the panel by going to

www.avionicswest.com and going to “reviews”

Does the system come with the portable CD player or do you buy that. If you buy it, must it be a special item (Cost?) or will any walkman type player work?

Does the system come with the portable CD player or do you buy that. If you buy it, must it be a special item (Cost?) or will any walkman type player work?

Any portable sound machine with a stereo miniplug output should work fine. Nothing’s included. My $100 CD player fits nicely down in the center console.

Although PS Engineering has a new audio panel out that contains a built in CD player and Garmin may follow suit, any tape player, AM/FM radio, or CD player should work fine as long as it has a mini-female jack for headphone. While Mr. Katz has a $100 CD player, mine at $29.95 works just fine. (Yes, I’m too cheap to spend more on an inflight entertainment system!) You can use “ship’s power” to run the CD player (or what-have-you) and get a “patch cord” with two male mini-jacks and you are up-up and away.

I’m curious. I used to work for an electronics company in Worc. MA with a Dave Katz. Is it that small of a world?

Walt

Any portable sound machine with a stereo miniplug output should work fine. Nothing’s included. My $100 CD player fits nicely down in the center console.

I’m curious. I used to work for an electronics company in Worc. MA with a Dave Katz. Is it that small of a world?

Walt

Not quite that small, it wasn’t me (pretty common name, particularly out east.) There was another one in my school district in high school, and another one working for Cisco when I did (we used to get each other’s fan mail, and I got his stock options once but didn’t keep them.)

Although PS Engineering has a new audio panel out that contains a built in CD player and Garmin may follow suit, any tape player, AM/FM radio, or CD player should work fine as long as it has a mini-female jack for headphone. While Mr. Katz has a $100 CD player, mine at $29.95 works just fine. (Yes, I’m too cheap to spend more on an inflight entertainment system!) You can use “ship’s power” to run the CD player (or what-have-you) and get a “patch cord” with two male mini-jacks and you are up-up and away.

Yes, I was a big spender–I got the model with the anti-shock stuff so that my CD doesn’t skip while my head is hitting the ceiling.

Glad that yours works on ship’s power. Some companies that sell “car” model portable CD players play the game of wiring the non-car (and thus cheaper) CD players for a positive ground. Try to plug both the audio cable and the power cable in and you get a short and the CD player doesn’t run (cute.) I suspect that all of the audio jacks are isolated from ground, so maybe it wouldn’t be a problem in the Cirrus.

Yes, I was a big spender–I got the model with the anti-shock stuff so that my CD doesn’t skip while my head is hitting the ceiling.

Glad that yours works on ship’s power. Some companies that sell “car” model portable CD players play the game of wiring the non-car (and thus cheaper) CD players for a positive ground. Try to plug both the audio cable and the power cable in and you get a short and the CD player doesn’t run (cute.) I suspect that all of the audio jacks are isolated from ground, so maybe it wouldn’t be a problem in the Cirrus.

Come on guys, next I’ll read that someone got a $9.99 cheap junk during their last trip to Taiwan.

While Dave’s $100.00 Cd player has a built-in anti-shock (but all of these units have just a few seconds, perhaps a minute anti-shock) I expect a little bit better from you guys with a Cirrus buzzing under your CG with all the goodies blinking away, and the big screen maybe playing CNN.
Why not use a modern MP3 player? They all have the same miniplug, FULLY anti-shock, and some models you can pick up for $49.95. Of course you can always go for THE best stuff and pick up a Portable Jukebox for about $480.00, that will have a capacity of about 150 CDs, of course in MP3 format. Another advantage is that in these players you can mix up your favored titles, just the way you want them.

Happy flying,

Michael

Why not use a modern MP3 player? They all have the same miniplug, FULLY anti-shock, and some models you can pick up for $49.95.

Why not use a modern MP3 player? They all have the same miniplug, FULLY anti-shock, and some models you can pick up for $49.95.

Thanks for the great idea!! Our two teenage sons have inexpensive MP3 players and they're really neat. Sooo tiny and light..perfect for flying, and the anti shock aspect is great, too. Never thought of them in conjunction with planes -something to do with "mindset," I guess.

Thanks for the great idea!! Our two teenage sons have inexpensive MP3 players and they’re really neat. Sooo tiny and light…perfect for flying, and the anti shock aspect is great, too. Never thought of them in conjunction with planes -something to do with “mindset,” I guess.

Janice,

I have ordered a home theatre system for the Cirrus, complete with 5 speakers, plus a subwoofer, and a portable DVD player that will play movies and music CDs on long, cross countries. Unfortunately, the weight of these speakers eats up most of the payload, but I still think there’s room for the pilot. In any case, I’ll be able to use it in the hangar to annoy the neighbors.

Great idea, who needs passengers anyway.

Sony has a Noise cancelling earplug, I am ordering one to check it out, this is like the small ones that comes with walkman’s and small cd’s except it is noise cancelling. It does not come with a mike, but I think I could rig something up. I will pass on the info if is good. Soon we will get wireless headsets. They already have for cell phones, kind of nice.

Have a great Cirrus dream day.

Woor

Great idea, who needs passengers anyway.

Sony has a Noise cancelling earplug, I am ordering one to check it out, this is like the small ones that comes with walkman’s and small cd’s except it is noise cancelling. It does not come with a mike, but I think I could rig something up. I will pass on the info if is good. Soon we will get wireless headsets. They already have for cell phones, kind of nice.

Have a great Cirrus dream day.

Woor

Six months ago I purchased one of those noise cancelling earplug sets from Sony in Europe. Like you said no mike, but I used it on all long distance flight with commercial airlines. They are great! I don’t know about the mike addition though.

As far as the 5 speaker surround sound setup, I’m for it. BUT, if you do it, do it right. I tried all this here in my home. I can hardly wait for my SR22 to install this in it also. Here is the recipe:

Fuji 42 plasma HDTV,

Bang & Olufsen surround sound system with a special VC bass. I have never tried, but I recommend to put the plasma TV above the glare shield (who wants to look out anyway?) everything will be driven by the Avidyne and the Garmins and you can see it on it in a PIP (Picture in a Picture) window, while you are watching a DVD movie. NEXRAD can be seen on a 3rd window, while you dictate throuh a digital radio link, a letter to your secretary. The passangers (max 12 Lbs for 2 in the back) and a 30 lbs. co-pilot will be TOTALLY entertained. Fuel will be enough for 32 minutes of flight, so to stay VFR legal, you can taxi to 16R and back to the hanger. Who needs flying, with so much TV real-estate anyway. EVERYTHING WILL BE VIRTUAL.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzz…