Garmin audio panel mod

Has anyone out there done the Garmin SB yet that allows the removal of 4 transitors from the audio panel to increase music audio volume?

I want to do it, but the SB says there may be a increase in unwanted noise as a side affect. Was wondering what your experiences are in real life.

Wouldn’t want to be disatisfied with the side effect.

Roger
N706CD

I was having trouble getting my son’s portable CD player to produce any sound whatsoever through the audio jacks. After speaking to Garmin about the ‘transistor’ fix and other options it was made clear that the issue was not with the Garmin 340 but with the lack of ‘standard’ with regard to the impedance of the various CD players, DVD players etc. I decided to try a different device (portable DVD/CD player) and that did the trick! It works just fine. NOTE: Remember that the audio level is regulated by the device’s volume control.

Charles

SR22 N730CD

Has anyone out there done the Garmin SB yet that allows the removal of 4 transitors from the audio panel to increase music audio volume?

I want to do it, but the SB says there may be a increase in unwanted noise as a side affect. Was wondering what your experiences are in real life.

Roger
N706CD

I had the same thing happen. My MPS player could hardly be heard at all when turned up max. We unplugged it and plugged in a Sony CD player and got loads of volume. You are correct. It is not a Garmin 340 problem.

Bill A

I was having trouble getting my son’s portable CD player to produce any sound whatsoever through the audio jacks. After speaking to Garmin about the ‘transistor’ fix and other options it was made clear that the issue was not with the Garmin 340 but with the lack of ‘standard’ with regard to the impedance of the various CD players, DVD players etc. I decided to try a different device (portable DVD/CD player) and that did the trick! It works just fine. NOTE: Remember that the audio level is regulated by the device’s volume control.

Charles

SR22 N730CD

Roger
N706CD

I spoke the Garmin folks about the modification.
It changes the default input impedance from 500ohms to 110ohms.

I’ve done the mod through SE AERO without much success. What does work is checking the fit of the plug. For some reason the music input plugs have a deeper fit than most CD/DVD player plugs. By pulling the plug out about 1/16th" I get good sound. If anyone is interested, I’m installing a DVD system in the plane with flat screens in the seatbacks. I’m getting an STC for the install, so let me know if anyone wants photos or copies of the STC.

I will be picking up my plane in a couple of weeks and would like to by a CD player that works for my long return flight to CA. Please let me know the make and model you are successful with.

Thanks

Bob
bsmoke@sscm.com

Howdy,

Could both of you guys share the model numbers of the portable CD players that you used that you had good luck with? Im in the market for a new CD player, and want to make sure to get one that has been tried before, thanks.

Brand

Greg,

I would be interested in doing the same. Any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Luis Garcia

LGARCIA@primemover.net