Garmin 340

I remember some people talking about putting audio units into the 340, and the output from these units not being loud enough. Perhaps it was not the unit; this is a post from another source:

After installing A Garmin 340 Audio Panel, I noticed that the side tones all but vanished when the “push-to-talk” button was depressed. (I have a pair of Narco MK-12’s) In addition, the outer marker light is so bright that it illuminates all three marker lights, so it’s impossible to tell which light is really lit. I complained to my installer who immediately informed Garmin (both by phone, and in writing) of the problems. Unfortunately Garmin could not have been more uncooperative. They told the install that you just have to live with the maker situation, and that they have no idea why the units isn’t compatible with the Narco radios and that he should try and figure it out. My installer then called Narco, (who bent over backwards to help, unlike Garmin). The Narco people confirmed that several other Garmin 340 installations were having the same problem, and suggested several ways in which the problem could be rectified. They also confirmed that Garmin is aware of the problem, but doesn’t want it publicized. As if this wasn’t enough, the 340’s music input is so low it can’t be heard with the engine running no matter how high you turn up the volume on the CD unit. The Garmin manual says your installer can make an adjustment and increase the volume. However, when Garmin was contacted about this problem, my installer was informed that there is no such adjustment, and that the problem as been acknowledged and will be corrected in the future. Another fact the Garmin has elected not to publicize. Pretty sad. All I can suggest is that anyone thinking about an audio panel upgrade should consider spending the extra money, (it’s worth it), and seriously look into a unit from PS Engineering. I’m sorry I didn’t.

PSÂ…. I was going to purchase a Garmin 530, but have decided never to deal with Garmin again.

Jim B.

N237CD; delivery 7/23

Jim,

For what it’s worth, I have a very cheap CD player plugged into my system and it works great. It is actually too loud at times.

Stuart

I remember some people talking about putting audio units into the 340, and the output from these units not being loud enough. Perhaps it was not the unit; this is a post from another source:

After installing A Garmin 340 Audio Panel, I noticed that the side tones all but vanished when the “push-to-talk” button was depressed. (I have a pair of Narco MK-12’s) In addition, the outer marker light is so bright that it illuminates all three marker lights, so it’s impossible to tell which light is really lit. I complained to my installer who immediately informed Garmin (both by phone, and in writing) of the problems. Unfortunately Garmin could not have been more uncooperative. They told the install that you just have to live with the maker situation, and that they have no idea why the units isn’t compatible with the Narco radios and that he should try and figure it out. My installer then called Narco, (who bent over backwards to help, unlike Garmin). The Narco people confirmed that several other Garmin 340 installations were having the same problem, and suggested several ways in which the problem could be rectified. They also confirmed that Garmin is aware of the problem, but doesn’t want it publicized. As if this wasn’t enough, the 340’s music input is so low it can’t be heard with the engine running no matter how high you turn up the volume on the CD unit. The Garmin manual says your installer can make an adjustment and increase the volume. However, when Garmin was contacted about this problem, my installer was informed that there is no such adjustment, and that the problem as been acknowledged and will be corrected in the future. Another fact the Garmin has elected not to publicize. Pretty sad. All I can suggest is that anyone thinking about an audio panel upgrade should consider spending the extra money, (it’s worth it), and seriously look into a unit from PS Engineering. I’m sorry I didn’t.

PSÂ…. I was going to purchase a Garmin 530, but have decided never to deal with Garmin again.

Jim B.

N237CD; delivery 7/23

I remember some people talking about putting audio units into the 340, and the output from these units not being loud enough.

Re the audio input level issue, at the Garmin seminar in Van Nuys last month the Garmin rep said it was a known problem and that there would be a simple retrofit of a couple of resistors to fix the problem (impeadence mismatch).

Gordon

For what it’s worth, I have a very cheap CD player plugged into my system and it works great. It is actually too loud at times.

Stuart,

Could you please share the brand and model # fo the CD player you are using? I would like to purchase one myself.

Jim W.

i bought an archos jukebox and after initial problems with the volume, it now works perfectly after adjusting both pilot and copilot squelch …the volume is loud enough at 10 on the player ( it goes up to 15)

Stuart,

Could you please share the brand and model # fo the CD player you are using? I would like to purchase one myself.

Jim W.

Jim W.

Jim,

It’s likely that even if you used the same CD player, the volume will still be too low in your plane.

I now know that there are differences between individual audio 340 panels. I’ve done everything imaginable, including having my avionics guy look at the problem, to get usable volume from my Archos Jukebox, to no avail; yet I’ve corresponded with other Archos owners who report that the volume is sufficient to drown out the engine noise. I suppose it COULD be the Archos that’s different, but I lean toward the 340 as being the culprit here.

• Mike.

I wonder if this would be a field repair OR a full unit swap (when in stock) at a Garmin service center under warranty, or would the unit be sent to Kansas?

Also, if a Cirrus is to be picked up in the short term, would we assume that it a new ‘rev’?

thanks for the info,

Jim

Re the audio input level issue, at the Garmin seminar in Van Nuys last month the Garmin rep said it was a known problem and that there would be a simple retrofit of a couple of resistors to fix the problem (impeadence mismatch).

Gordon